Usermap To the Cafe

Usermap To the Cafe

A Story by Nicole Hellene

It's no secret. Writerscafe has degenerated into the ghetto of internet writing resources. It's also no secret that I'm jaded about it. An influx of scene kids and emo poets has flooded this site making it just another teen livejournal site for rants and raves and very little actual writing.

However, I've been here since 2006, and luckily I know there still exists a smidgen of skill in this corner of the web. For those of you looking for it, there's a reason you haven't been able to find it, so I've compiled a list of the people that I feel are constructive members of this community, and the ones to be avoided (this list is on-going, shoot me a PM to be added or if I missed someone).


Local Talent:

Nihad (Comme Une Fois J'ai Rêvé)- This man is hands down an amazing writer in the poetry genre. He's a published poet (and it's hard to get published in poetry) and does his own photography. He runs the Versenators group on the cafe. Poets can learn worlds from him.

Valerie Jones- Mod of the Underground Writers Network, which was the first ever group on WC (props).

Lola Nation- heads Write The Future and WTF radio. Another amazing poet, published. She organizes the occasional meetups on this site.

Magnolia Belle- She gives the most indepth reviews of just about any writer I've met on this site. Very thorough and helpful, she's a good fiction writer.

Lyttleton- Progressive, Indie, despondent, and talented. His poetry is statement poetry riddled with deeper meaning, same as his fiction but he's primarily poetry.

Hedra Helix- Simply rocks. Another poet whose writing is riddled with deeper meanings and hidden statements. Her fiction is lush imagery and she was also the original erotica guru. Knows her stuff.

Carol Maric- One of the vets of this site, is amazing all around poetry and fiction. Published and knows her stuff inside and out. You will learn.

Roy L. Pickering. Jr- Has been here since this site launched and knows his fiction. Published.

Paul Grimsley- Mod of “Writers, Prizefighters, and Caffeine Inspired All-Nighters” group. Also involved in the Indiebookshelf.com project. Published. Another good fiction writer the rest of us can learn from.

Wendy Grimsley- Mod of the indiebookshelf.com project, I've bookmarked a few of the writers I found on that site. It's different and you'll find stuff you won't find in Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Michael Carr- He sends out tons of read requests so beware if you add him, but he is a really good fiction writer and knows his stuff. Famous for his “Chronicles of Bob” stories. Fiction writers can learn from him.

(ongoing, I removed people and I added ppl, will continue to).


Writers we will dearly miss-

V- You got out early, but damn you were the life of the party. You were what I aptly refer to as an Indie Poet, you didn't care who you pissed off or what your poetry meant to anyone except you. The first meetup was sprung from an idea you got because you couldn't get to sleep. This place is dismal without you taking pot-shots at society. You were WC's original slam-poet.

Justin Aucion- Everyone knows Pirates are way cooler than Ninja's. He was a swashbuckling writer and a elegant poet. Another one I looked up to. So sad to see him go.

L. L. Jacobson- Closed her account early but was an amazing fiction writer, inspired one of my stories. Published, and I hope she's doing well.

Brandon T. Bisceglia- Another poet of endless potential. It's sad to see another one go.

William J. Wilkins- I remember your motorcycle story that was published in a biker magazine. Congrats. Wherever you are, I hope your writing career has taken off.

Angel Marie Antonette- Another beat-poet with good fiction skills. She was a vet member of BAPTS way back when. Hasn't been around, will be missed.

Li Li- another beat writer and slam poet, I think she's now a recording artist as well.


Francis Meyrick- Has started his own site at Writersharbor.org. Unlike some places, he actually moderates.




Writers to be avoided-

Sean Allen- Pedophile. Serious. PM me and I'll send you the emails. I had to block this guy before there was a block button.

Legacy- SPAMMER! I suspect that this writer is actually several users, but he will send you group invite after group invite for his poetry group

Budo- Classic example of freeverse gone horribly wrong, unless you like that kind of stuff. Lousy emotional prose.

Erotic Goddess- Smut Writer. Writes trashy pornographic stories and pushes ethics boundaries to get attention. Let's just say the only reason the FCC isn't on her case is because written word is protected content.

Aradia Redswan- Don't know if she's still here but she tries to write fiction and fails. You will learn nothing or be none the wiser for reviewing and if you leave a bad review, you will be harassed on PM.

Blackbirdsong- another example of freeverse gone horribly wrong. They need to create a group for these writers and just shove them to the side. You won't learn anything from reading their writing.

Rain- This guy is high strung and uber-philosophical. In other words, he spouts philosophy that doesn't make sense and if you call him on it, he blocks you. Don't bother, unless you like rolling on X and musing about random BS.

Ice Queen of the Vampires- What part of “Enter your real name at sign up” don't you understand?

*Basically avoid anyone with a weird pen name who is around 18 years old and has four pages of poetry on their profiles.


For those of you who wander here in search of literary support and find nothing but junk, I hope this will help you navigate your way around the ghetto. I wish I would have been more involved in the community when it was at it's peak. There was a meetup like 20 mins from my house once and I didn't go. Regretting it, regretting that I thought social networks were a fad, and hoping to see this site restored.

Some people will most likely complain about this list (notably the ones on the lower part of it), so I'd copy and save this before it gets deleted. If it does, you'll know who complained.

As for me, I'm a journalist and not even I'd ask for a review from myself. I'll admit that much. I'm working on a "big project" that has a publisher's eye and am only on here because there's no where else to go. I'm like that kid who graduates high school but still hangs around the building, free to go but where? If you want a review, PM me, I'll see what I can do.

Hopefully this place will get back to being a grassroots Writers Cafe instead of a mainstream trendy Barnes and Noble.

© 2009 Nicole Hellene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A few years ago, on American Idol, Simon told Jenifer Hudson that she would never go anywhere. Simon told Jen she was too overweight, didn't know how to dress in-style and that her musical talent was, at best, minimul. Today, Jen Hudson NOT ONLY HAS AN OSCAR for Best Supporting Actress, but she has a banging career in the music industry. I too, am a 'certified'journalist. So what? That degree does not make me better than anyone else, or set me on a pedestal apart. In fact, as good of a writer as I am, I still have it in me to say that my ex-fiancee, who broke my heart, is a God Gifted writer on a level to which I will never ever reach. Never, never, never cut down the words of another writer. In that writer, whom you have judged, could very well be another "War and Peace", "Atlas Shrugged", "The Great Gatsby". A writer is someone who reaches out to the world, using words as a stepping stone to cement understanding. In all of us, is a writer. And while some might be further along than others in their prose, this does not mean that anyone has the right to judge how another writer reaches out to the world with their words. To some, there is not greater book than "Catcher In The Rye" others prefer Dr. Suess. To each his own. Lastly, as a journalist you should know the meaning of the word LIBEL. I would be careful calling Sean Allen as you did. That sort of name calling and accusation can get you sued....

Posted 14 Years Ago


18 of 18 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wrote this to Ch. Konsor:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Iconoclaust/414055/

Hello Charlie,

I am speechless. How can this woman say about Sean Allen in public that he would be a pedophile? I talked to him often, time ago, he never, never and never tried to flirt with me, nor to manipulate me in sexual manner.

And, how can this woman spread defamatory statements IN PUBLIC - this is even on whole internet - when one google those names.... so their reputation is ruined.

And, she doesn't have any idea: Those people are not published, they are self-published. It's nice to have a book, but there is no reason to make a difference between published and not published writers.

We all miss those who are gone but this is a free choice place, for good and less good writers, for nice and less pleasant persons, for talkative and less extrovert people and when here are kids - so what, everybody makes a choice!

I find this a faux pas. I hope you block her. She is spreading group-dynamic negative energy here.

bye,
gandr�

Posted 14 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.

It is true that there has been some degeneration upon this site of late, but you must understand that each and every writer has to start somewhere. I agree with much of what you have said and disagree with much as well, but the beauty of it all is that you can say everything you have said and it, too, is protected. By the way, there are quite a few good writers up and coming on this site that you should watch for (once you sort out those that aren't). Kudos to you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 of 11 people found this review constructive.

I always wondered those who always complained about how low level and deteriorated this place has become..
Fine ,you may be right ,so why dont you leave,and find another suitable place for your highness, for the Queen
has to sit on her throne she will not sit with the common lay,she wants all the perfect ones who speak so fluently with every words spelled right and
in place,so please just leave,this is not as good place that honors you..I think you will do everyone a favor
and you are an accomplished writer and to be published soon so why worry your head and stay with those people that you say they are worth nothing
Just leave the site,for as you say its no use ,its never getting better,so leave..
I swear I know some good number of people who just joined in,they told me they are so happy to find such a wonderful place they never thought it existed
yes leave this place to us poor miserable writers,and we will be so very thankful you will spare us the ongoing headache each now and then and you complaining
I just dont understand ,if i dont like a place I leave..this is the best place for writer on the net that i ever known
one day I am sure its getting greater and greater,and surely much better without you,i will find it great if i dont see you here ..ever.

Posted 14 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

I don't think a list of who to read and who to avoid helps the caliber of this site any. Unfortunately, the drama here rivals that of any soap opera, and this is like throwing gasoline on a fire, which is part of the whole problem with this place--and the reason many writers of quality have left or are in the process of closing up shop, including yours truly--I have agents interested in my work, and I need to make sure my internet presence is commendable. This place has a habit of dragging one kicking and screaming into the drama works.

When the writers like V, Ilene Lush, and Lyttleton exited stage left, the site owner checked out as well as far as interest goes.; The MySpacing of the Cafe turned this into a hangout for emoets and dramaversers, and it turns my stomach.

If you are serious about writing, think about expending your efforts into perfecting your grammar and writing style, not in providing a road map of who you think are worthwhile members.

If you are serious about your writing, you should think about leaving the Cafe as well. This place will not improve--the site owner doesn't care anymore--and with the influx of people who "don't care about grammar" and don't want anyone to critique (they only want sunshine blown up their wazoos), this is not a haven of help or professionalism any longer.

Sincerely,
Sio



Posted 14 Years Ago


8 of 15 people found this review constructive.

Networks can never be a fad. If you actually thought about it, you'd realize it. There is a science in general networks including social networking. If you'd stop looking in the mirror, maybe you could read up on it before you throw your judgements.

I'm sorry that it makes you feel better to drag people through the mud, publically slamming them just for the way they express themselves. It shows that you have a closed mind, and are very much jaded- to a fault. You want to complain about what people post, and the content, but why do you care so much? It's their form of expression, and frankly none of your concern.

I just joined this site about three weeks ago, with the insistence of a good friend. Who, by the way, has been a member for a long stretch. I've read some really good work on here, but there has been stuff I didn't care for. I don't broadcast a "hey you suck" vibe like you, but I respect the quality of work because it is indeed their perspective.

I've also read some of your work and after seeing that you repeatedly spelt "dying" "dieing", I had to laugh.

And your "Rules For Writers" was so self-involved, like you're "Lord Almighty", what makes you the judge, why do you set the standards of what should be considered "good writing?"

Get off your tower, it could get lonely.



Posted 14 Years Ago


12 of 12 people found this review constructive.

I had to come back for a second dose... once again I told you in your piece I had banned before for using someone's name, yes that was me, its that if you don't like the site don't come here... if you don't like certain peoples writing then stay away from them, but to publicly slander them is pathetic... obviously you have nothing better to do then attack others and as Blackbird pointed out it is very unprofessional, and as for what brighteyes said who made you the writing expert....

Poetry is a form of art by the way, just cause you don't like it don't mean it don't belong here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

Clearly you have no idea about my writing at all or you would list me as form poetry goes wrong. I rarely write free verse at all. If you're going to put me in a category of those to avoid and why, then at least put me in the correct one.

You mention avoid anyone with a weird name as if that's some sort of criteria to their writing. My name is my own name, not that it means my writing is good or bad just because I use it. Seriously if you're going to try to convince people of your intelligence and that your argument is a valid, you're going to have to come up with something better than that.

By the way I make my living as a writer. Pay all of my bills and buy all of my toys. It's really no big deal being a journalist or any kind of professional writer. There are many of us out there. Since you use that as the box you stand on to decry so many writers on this site I have to say it isn't a very level standing place. Journalist of what the New York Times or a neighborhood newsletter you create in your basement? I'd say the later because anyone with any kind of real writing credentials wouldn't have wasted so much energy on something as pointless as this.

You clearly have personal vendettas with some of us. I know you read one of my poems that you didn't like. By the way that poem wasn't free verse, it was a combination of an Acrostic and a Declarative poetry forms. You made the point (just like you have here) of mentioning how intelligent you are and I answered you back by saying that if you really believed you were so smart there would be no need to mention it. I also ended my reply to you with "stupid is as stupid does."

The poem of mine you didn't like was for the "Know Who You Are" contest. We had both submitted pieces for it. Your review of my piece wasn't the only negative you left since you went around to many of us who submitted pieces for that contest and trashed our submissions. I suppose you did that as a way of trashing everyone to make your piece seem better in the eyes of the person who created the contest. There was a money prize after all.

You've mentioned quite a few writers on your little lists. Many of them are friends and people whose writing I admire. However there are those on this site I choose to avoid, but not because I dislike their stylistic types of writing but because, like you, they use this site to stir up contention and drama.

This little rant shows a great deal of immaturity not to mention a complete lack of professional journalistic behavior. Journalist indeed, but that's OK. I am more than happy to add you to my list of writer's on this site that I am more than happy to avoid.

"Stupid is as stupid does." It was a perfect ending to my response to you before and it's even better now.



Posted 14 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

Listen dear..tell you something,you tried to put writers into three categories ,like the good ,the bad and maybe the worse
Based on a lifetime of reading ,since I only started writing a year ago,then I say Maybe only people like Bernard Shaw
or the like of him ,maybe able to tell a good writer from a bad one..so you see its never easy to tell..if someone is published that never means he is good or bad
Some here I swear even if they are young ,they may write some great things that make me wonder if they are not telling the truth about their age..
Again you could never tell who is good or not ,i will not brag about it,but I can honestly say,I can tell,and its not a gift ,its from lots of reading
that i can discern between the good or the bad..and its not right trying to break the dreams of some who are trying hard to get to something
again I still see this place is still good,i can give my own list of some great talents here ,they are no less than 50 or more..
there are some members that are no fit or dont behave right but on the whole i still have lots of hopes on this place..i could go on forever..

Posted 14 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.

While I can agree with your overall point here - this site has not only traveled downhill but done so at roller coaster speed - I am somewhat confused as to your criteria for you lists. It seems that "Published" seems to be one of the major criteria for the list of those you deem worthy - and, as I know Blackbirdsong (she is a personal friend, not just someone on my friends list), I happen to know she is not only "Published" but has many different pieces published. Some of them posted on this site originally. I find it interesting that you do not deem yourself qualified enough to review someone's writing - but believe you are qualified enough to sit in judgment on not just a piece of writing - but on the entire works of some writers. To be truthful, between all three of your lists, I only know around three people. I guess I just missed the vote that elected you the Cafe's resident Writing Expert.

Posted 14 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

You are nothing but a whiner and gossiper... what do you not get bout not using people names in your pieces.. that is one of the rules of this place you seem to like to break.

I have sent this piece to charles already. For the record I wasn't on the list when I wrote this but I am sure i will now, LOL

P.S. it don't say enter your real name it says enter your Display name

Posted 14 Years Ago


13 of 13 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2327 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 24, 2009
Last Updated on June 2, 2009

Author

Nicole Hellene
Nicole Hellene

UCLA, CA



About
Makin money. If you want to fix the Cafe, go to this group. Good Luck: What's Wrong With Writerscafe?1 Members What Would You Change About Writerscafe?Apr 7, 2009 - Jun 7, 2009 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Birth.. Home Birth..

A Story by Rain


Thumb Thumb

A Poem by Sean M. Addams


Time Time

A Poem by Rain