Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by hannahspelledbackwards

Braydon "Cal" Turner's POV:
Chapter Three
"Cal, come help me with my bags in the car," my dad called to me from the garage door of the house. He had just gotten back from a business trip. When I got up from my bed, my head was throbbing with pain. I'd never drank more than I did last night and I was now living the consequences. It was hard enough not to fall asleep during the service at church and now I knew I wouldn't be able to finish my nap with my dad now home. 
My mom was already outside, taking any chance she could to have a good conversation with him. She was gladly offering her help with his things out of his trunk, but he was oblivious to her kindness. 
That's what I loved about my mom. She was kind and compassionate. No matter how hard and fast you brought her down she would love you with all of her heart. Sure, she may be a pushover and slightly on the annoying side at times, but she was the nicest lady in the world. 
There my father was, all slim and tall. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts as usual while my mom was still wearing her church attire. I'd assume it was because she thrived for recognition from my dad that she would do just about anything for him to notice even one tiny thing about her. I noted that she applied more make-up on her eyes recently and was stretching her rosy cheeks with a big, warm smile. The smile was indeed intended for my father, but as always he didn't notice. 
He handed me his suitcase full of clothes. It seemed rather odd to me that a business convention was held from a Wednesday through a Sunday morning, but I wouldn't dare say a word of it. It would start my mother's suspicions and it would begin my father's wrath. Don't wanna go there again. 
"So how was the trip, Phil?" she asked him, still grinning. 
He carefully wrapped the strap of his duffel bag around his left shoulder and closed the trunk. 
"Fine" was all he said. 
It didn't seem to affect her as much as I thought it would.
"Did you get any new ideas for the store?" I knew this was a day full of drilled questions from her just so she could talk to the man she loved. I felt so bad for her. She was the only one in their relationship trying it seemed. Lately he hadn't been home much at all, doing "business," as he'd say. But I could see right through him; he just didn't want to be around us anymore. 
"Guess so." 
I quietly followed him inside the house with his suitcase in hand and carried it to their bedroom. There wasn't much said after that. 
The rest of the afternoon was much of the same: quietness and peace. Despite the sound coming from the television, I actually managed to finish my nap and felt much better after waking up. I decided to go in the living room to see what my parents were up to and how well they were getting along. 
I wasn't surprised to see them silent in front of the t.v. while watching the news. They always watched the news together nowadays but never said anything. Things were back to normal again; well, not exactly normal, but how they were before he left. 
"I think I'm going back to church tonight," she announced. I wasn't expecting her to do this, and I knew she'd want me to come with her since my dad would more than likely refuse. She was eying him carefully and specifically, waiting for his answer that would determine a lot of things. 
He looked at me then back to her again. He muted the sound of the t.v., and that frightened me. When he was planning on saying something that would be important, like getting angry, he would mute the sound. 
"I thought you went this morning," he said cautiously. 
"I did but I think I should go again tonight. It's gotten a lot better since we've been last and I had a really good time this morning." 
"I just got home though." 
I sighed. This wasn't going to be good. 
"Yes, and I'm glad you are." She smiled. "But I would very much like to go again tonight. The pastor said he would be having a service that we wouldn't want to miss, and quite frankly, I don't want to miss it. You're more than welcome to come with me." Her eyes got wider and full of joy. "Oh, that would be great! We could all come together." 
Her hopes were shattered when he replied, "No. I will not come with you to church. I just got home from a long trip and I'd like it if you would respect that. Why would I go to church when I just got home?" He started to raise his voice. "I mean seriously, Jane? Are you that selfish? I can already see you will be spending a lot of time at that church and won't have any time for our family. You'll put your own desires in front of us." 
Like he even cared about "our family." This wasn't a family anymore. Families spend time together and laugh and enjoy each other's company. We did none of that. 
She looked crushed. Her eyes drooped and her smile faded into a frown. "Phil, it's not like that at all. God is our God and we must go to church to worship Him. I don't want you to think I would put anything in front of you. I love you so much Phil, but God is supposed to come first. We haven't been to church in a year and I would love to go back. The Lord blesses those who love and serve Him." 
She shocked me. I seriously would have never thought that to come out of my mom's mouth. 
My father on the other hand didn't look so pleased at her response. He turned off the t.v., got up from his chair and looked at her fiercely. "Just go, Jane. I don't care anymore." He walked away into his room and shut the door violently. 
Uninvited tears escaped from my mom's eyes and down her cheek. She was hurt. Knocked down and tore up from everything inside of her. How could she believe in God so much and yet He let her suffer like this? She is such a wonderful woman: as my mother and as a wife. She is loyal and never would leave anyone. 
After being able to control her quick tears, she looked at me with sorrow. She was mad at herself for crying in front of me; I already knew it. "Cal, will you please come with me tonight?" Her voice was hoarse and scratchy. She cleared her throat waiting for an answer.
I couldn't say no. If I did I would have to stay here with my dad doing who knows what-either listening to his complaints about how crazy my mom was or being forced to do some yard work or something. If I agreed to go, all I had to do was sit down and act the part of a religious young man listening to the preacher's wise words. And I was pretty dang good at acting like I knew what was going on. 
"Okay, I'll come." 
We were right on time when we pulled into the church parking lot full of cars. Most of them looked new and well-kept, but then there were others that looked awfully beat up. There were obviously many different kinds of people attending this medium sized congregation, but as we opened the door everything and everyone was the same. I could see the choir preparing to sing, I could hear all the voices that blended together loudly that sounded like mumbles, and I could see the old ladies gossiping about what the younger people were wearing. And they sure had something to talk about when I stepped in the sanctuary. 
I never dressed up nice. Black skinny jeans and a t-shirt was my main wardrobe to church along with my black and white checkered Vans. As I passed by them with my mom looking for empty seats, they seemed preoccupied in my choice of apparel. Their whispers didn't seem to surprise me whatsoever. Hypocrites. Church was filled with nothing but hypocrites. They call themselves children of God, but all they do is constantly knock people down if they're not good enough for them. These people made me sick. 
The only open seats were close to the front where I saw many familiar faces from my past of going to this church. But when I got closer, I saw a definite all-too familiar face in the row my mom was heading to. 
"Here, you go first," she whispered to me. 
There were two seats on the end of the row and I didn't dare to "go first." The girl three seats down was not a girl who liked me very much. She just so happened to be my ex-girlfriend from middle school. The relationship was nothing but a pathetic fantasy of kids who think they're old enough to have a mature relationship with someone. We didn't know what a real relationship was, and the things we said to each other make me laugh now that I look back. 
But her green-brown eyes gazed into mine, and memories were flashing back into my mind again. She looked different. Her freckles weren't as distinct but were still there, and she wasn't as pale as I remembered. Her braces were now off and her half-open mouth showed me the $2,000 spent on that metal really were worth it for her, 'cause they looked pretty dang good. 
Her outfit was more unique than I remembered too. It wasn't all stupid name-brand crap that she always had to wear. It was more simple and nice and appeared more attractive. I then had to look away because I didn't want her to think I was a creeper now. From what I now looked like, she probably thought I was a loser. 
"Mom, I can't."
She looked at me, bewildered. "Um, yes you can, Cal. Now go." She gave my body a little push into the pew of seats. Now Auria's whole group of friends were staring at me like I was an alien. Again, this is why I hated Christians.
I sat down maybe a little too far from her and looked straight ahead. I could see in the corner of my left eye that she was hesitating on saying hello. She would barely turn her head to look at me, then immediately turn away, and she would start all over. 
I decided to avoid all of the "what do I say?" awkwardness and just get this over with. 
"Hi, Auria." 
She looked at me curiously. "Hi." 
Now I'm the idiot! What am I supposed to say next?
I could tell she was wondering the same thing. "How.." I paused to regain my composure. "How are you?"
"Good. Courtney's getting married." 
Courtney? . . . Oh. Her sister. 
"Oh really? That's good. Who's she marrying?" Small talk was always the best way to make it less awkward. But it still was. 
"Blake. You know, Blake from high school? They were dating when we were. ." Her lips cracked a smile, knowing that if she said "together" she would probably blush. 
I smiled for the first time in a long time it seemed. At least a real, genuine smile that I didn't have to fake to look cool. 
"Sweet." 
I planned on asking about where she went to school now and all of that, but her friends cut in.
"Auria, who is this?" a familiar guy said. I forgot his name though. 
"Oh! My bad. Here, Braydon, I'll introduce you." 
I laughed to myself that she called me "Braydon." My middle name is Cal and once I started hanging out with my new group of friends I started to prefer that instead of Braydon since Cal is more edgy, I guess you could say. I was embarrassed to admit my real name was Braydon since it sounded so wimpy. They still to this day think it's really Cal. I even made my parents call me that as well. 
Everyone was looking at me now but I didn't show my nervousness. 
"Braydon, this is Jake, and I'm sure you remember him.." She paused and pointed to the next person. "Then Tyler, Cameron and Trey." She then introduced me to all of her new girl friends that were definitely new to the church since I couldn't identify who they were. They were all pretty, of course, since they hung out with Auria. Auria was still as pretty as I remembered. 
"Hello Auria," my mother said. I almost forgot she was sitting next to me. 
"Hi Mrs. Turner! I haven't seen you in a long time." She wasn't faking that she was glad to see her. I could tell she really was happy to see my mom, which was kind of weird to me honestly. 
All conversations ended when the lights dimmed and the music started. All of the songs that were played was deep in my memory and I could even notice what they were before the words were on the screen. I grew up in church but quickly stopped once I turned sixteen. 
What surprised me was how open Auria was in singing. She looked like she was really getting into the songs while my mom sang without much movement. She was holding back it seemed. And there was I, standing with my arms crossed and mouth closed, looking like a complete coward. But I wasn't about to sing to a God who I didn't even talk to. 
The sermon didn't hold much interest to me until on the screen it read a verse from the book of John. 
"I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. You will have suffering in this world, but be of good cheer! I have overcome the world." 
Those words really captivated me. I didn't know exactly what it meant when it says "I have overcome the world," but it really would give someone encouragement if they were a Christian. 
After the pastor dismissed us, my mom turned to me and told me without words to head for the door. I was about to say goodbye to Auria but she had her back turned towards me talking to her friends quietly about something. I didn't want to interrupt, so I got up and was on my way. Before I opened the door to exit, I heard a perky, sweet voice behind me say: "What are you doing after this?" 
It was her. I was surprised by her question since I was not someone I would see her want to hang out with. "Uh, I guess nothing. Why?" 
She didn't look me straight in the eyes. She was fiddling with her Bible and kept looking away from me in the corners of the room. "Well, the youth group is going to dinner. Do you want to come?"
I raised my eyebrows in suspicion. I looked at my mom who appeared to be smiling at Auria's offer, and said, "Yes, he would love to." 
Thanks for making the worst decision for me ever mom; you're awesome.
I glanced at Auria and shrugged. "Guess I'll come." 


© 2011 hannahspelledbackwards


Author's Note

hannahspelledbackwards
Braydon, or "Cal" is a very complex person. He's still trying to figure everything out even though he acts like he has it all together. He is a very very private person unlike his ex Auria. Deep down, he is easily embarrassed and gets nervous quite often, but on the outside he looks tough and mean.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on August 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 27, 2011


Author

hannahspelledbackwards
hannahspelledbackwards

Sydney, Australia



About
I'm Hannah, a 23 year old who loves art, animals, people, traveling and nature. I write poetry, songs, and stories. I write books but for some reason I never finish them. I can't write a poem unless I.. more..

Writing