J E N N I F E R

J E N N I F E R

A Poem by J. Hampton
"

my 1st...actually..my ONLY Acrostic ..for a contest ~ an acrostic of our name ...hmmm

"

J uxtaposed, thoughts and emotions caught up in snap crosswinds, tickle my pen

E longated shadows loom over beautiful broken down walls, of the oddest stone

N uances of time and place cling to damp hopes on sticky pages, which smell like someone I loved once

N ew tears wet crumpled poems, and children’s cheeks

I never cared for short days, black licorice, or the way my jeans fit

Forever has grown thick wildflowers without names,

E ssences of answered prayers, and favorite songs

R etrospect has become my thesis and my bliss

 

 

© 2007 J Hampton bythewurd@ yahoo.com

Blesssssss

© 2008 J. Hampton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a beautiful deeply meaningful piece............every line containing apart of you.

I never cared for short days, black licorice, or the way my jeans fit
Forever has grown thick wildflowers without names,
Essences of answered prayers, and favorite songs
Retrospect has become my thesis and my bliss

Beautiful thoughts.......amongst sadness comes retrospect of life and love........and writing.


Posted 16 Years Ago


11 of 11 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A lovely reflective acrostic, which seems to have some melancholy undertones, although i can't be sure about that - "Forever has grown thick wildflowers without names" (beautiful expression, but it seems sad) - and - "New tears wet crumpled poems, and children's cheeks".

Very poetic self-reflection; the best acrostic made up of a first name that I've ever read.
Good luck with the contest.

Thanks to J for sending me this, and to you for writing it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Retrospection can be a blessing and a curse, but always a poetic one if you let it take you beyond yourself and back into that world. Or at least, that's what I've found out.

There is a feeling here that you're daydreaming of castles, which then becomes a montage of different things: children, the heady smell of licorice, and that person who'll always carry something special in your heart. A juxtaposition of the senses distilled down to the bare essences, for sure.

Melody and vision. I feel it here.
J





Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

"Nuances of time & place cling to damp hopes on sticky pages, that smell like someone I loved "

The way you pull your readers into your spot with these words that are so familiar so hot...

"I never cared for short days, black licorice, or the way my jeans fit"

With this line you cover so much so much of what I feel what many of us feel..... your words J, just do it right. Always work your magic with these words..


Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Nuances of time & place cling to damp hopes on sticky pages,

that smell like someone I loved...

You KILLED on this one girl.
Real Talk.
It was DEEP: sixties jazz poetry deep; Leroi Jones deep; Nikki Giovanni deep; and all those other poets whose work I carried around ad nauseum in my Jr High School days.
You can imagine how Popular that made me.
This is not the first poem of yours to give me that vibe either. All I can say is GREAT.

What God has for you IS for you!
Dc

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Wow!!! Great piece of writing Jen.
Essences of answered prayers, and favorite songs ... I love this sentence it speaks volumes to me, you sometimes wonder if God is listening or busy with someone in a worse state! But then something wonderful happens and you lose all sense of disbelief...favourite songs that lift the spirit to incredible heights...
Life can be that good!
Keep smiling through all those bloody reviews Jen, I'm still trying to catch up and in the process I neglected you...so sorry, but you know I'll make it up to you xxx


Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Retrospect is the beauty of life lives, for in it will always live the great memories and fantastic feelings. Althouh I might never discuss the battle between my jeans and my wasteline, I have so much to look back upon. Great work



Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I often pick out a line that touches me.. but in this case I give up!
The whole thing seems to encapsulate a complete essence and cannot be dissected.
A favourite.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

i love this last line ... Retrospect has become my thesis and my bliss ...
and this ... New tears wet crumpled poems, and children's cheeks ...
and this ... Forever has grown thick wildflowers without names ...

of, course ... what else could forever ever grow? ah, bliss ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This blew me away. I especially love the last line.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This lovely poem would make a perfect accompaniment to Salvador Dali's magnificent painting The Persistence of Memory. What a marvelous little gem it is, sort of like candy corn, managing to possess just the right shape, color, and sweetness of taste. To tamper with a single of letter of this poem would be equivalent to an attempt at improving upon the genius of the snowflake. Pure folly. The best of things shimmer and shine in AS IS state. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

753 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..