Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Welcome to America :)

Welcome to America :)

A Poem by J. Hampton
"

Profiling...Predjudice... and ETHNO-Paranoia... all the pandamonium at points of entry but we seem to be stopping the WRONG folks for the most part.

"

Welcome to America

admission’s “ FREE” today !!

Take a number

step aside…

for a lil’

friendly ….Ethnocide.

Trust me

you will pay.

 

Check your bags…

and get in line.

Get measured up to see

if ya make the height

to ride this ride

 

I mean….

 you ….

Look alright….to ..ME.

But…

I’m not the one …

who makes the cut

to decide

diversity.

 

Depending…

on the …skin you’re in

brown….black…

or slightly…

In – di-an ….

A – sian…

Or

Tri – ni- dadian.

 

Perhaps …

you are…

a Guyan….beast

or have..

that

“GUILTY –look”

of

Middle-East.

 

They’re tearin’ your luggage apart

yet…

Still ….

Give you service with a smile ?

What..the heck…

no “  Red carpet “ …???

You just been “profiled” !!!

 

Welcome to America

admission’s “ FREE” today !!

Take a number

Step aside…

for a lil’

friendly ….Ethnocide.

trust me

You will pay.

 

 

© 2007  J. Hampton [email protected]

 

 

© 2008 J. Hampton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved this! Very intelligent work written with much empathy for your fellow man. So glad you brought this up in such a poetic, slightly humorous way. I do however understand why there has to be some care taken to protect, all you say has merit, but after the 9/11 debacle I'd like to know I'm safe as I'm flying internally (Australia) and I'm scared of flying as it is! Unfortunately we live in a violent world and we all need to be vigilant about who goes where and when. It's not really about immigration, but discerning without being judgemental, it's a country where equality is law....it's just that some are more equal than others!
Congrats!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

the only people who aren't immigrants are the Native Americans and they're damn near wiped out by the Europeans who came after. they're just afraid that some other immigrant will just come and do the same to them. good write. way to make such a topic witty and entertaining.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

This is great J. Humorous while cutting like a knife. Loved your form as always, and for the first time I really FELT those ellipses(...) as they stressed the stopping points. They (and the whole poem really) sort of gave new meaning to the phrases:
Gives One Pause. Or:
Things That Make You Go Hmm...
I also like the dashes in words like Indian, which not only help keep the meter correct but add that extra umph I always expect from you.
"They�re tearin� your luggage apart
yet�
Still �.
Give you service with a smile ?
What..the heck�
no � Red carpet � �???
You just been �profiled� !!!"
Tell 'em girl!
Be Blessed!
DC


Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

As usual you have crafted an incisive and insightful piece, using dark humor to cleverly point a finger at what isn't very funny at all. America as amusement park is right on the mark as a metaphor for the good old US of A. Anyone such as myself who is probably negatively profiled at least once a day (though not as the bomb toting variety of terrorist) can especially appreciate the frustration that this poem stems from. As for those on the other side of the looking glass who happen to read these words, perhaps you have influenced the mindset of a few towards empathy and compassion, away from fear and distrust. Another gem from a WC contributor extraordinaire.

Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

Comtempory piece of work that has rhythm and flow through and through. The irony and sarcasism is definitely appropriate for this day and age and love the imagery and the subtly in pauses and reflective quality of it. Your breaks helps the flow immensely. It is broad enough that it is not a racial piece (in terms of black and white diversity) but a political piece and love the admission to the US is 'freeee". If you truly want that... and yes it is quite a ride. This piece rocks.

Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.

Very creatively constructed. It's a pity that even in this day and age, people are profiled for the most stupid of reasons and in a manner that's more likely to create resentment in the first place.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

i love the double title ... welcome to america ... or ... the oj hustle ...

it's interesting too, to read it with each separate title in mind ... and to wonder how the reader's own opinion on the whole oj debacle might influence their reading of the piece ...

it's hard not to read it out loud ... the flow's just so catchy ... i feel like i'm going to be tapping my metaphorical foot to it for hours now ...

(sorry i've been so absent lately ... this crazy little life i live is leaving me a bit dizzy from all the whirling)

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

I agree with you on the "Funny thing is who is n't an immigrant in America...think about that." Ha isn't that the truth.
I like the rhythm that you used here, it brings the point so clear.
I enjoyed this read very much, Thank you for posting,
Kates


Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

STOP PROFILING ME!!!!! I hate people who sterotype as well. Black=bad debt. Schysters!!!!

I mean�.
you �.
Look alright�.to ..ME.
But�
I�m not the one �
who makes the cut
to decide
diversity.

I love this. Your writing pumps me up! Great piece.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

Like the cynisism in this, knee jerk politics rules the day. It won't be long before moustaches, hats, and the colour red will be outlawed.
Black & white films won't exist, we can't offend anyone.
Sorry got caught up in the rant thing, by the way I liked the poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.

this is what i like cynical comments on our hyppocrit socaled democratical society


Posted 16 Years Ago


8 of 9 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1019 Views
43 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..