In the Midnight Garden

In the Midnight Garden

A Story by JC

In the Midnight Garden at the center of the serpentine path made of marble, is a solitary, lowly flower, a Cinderella. By day she is unnoticed, often passed by for her lack of trappings, unlike the other beauties, who with their vibrant colors and pungent fragrances, attract suitor bees, who frit from pistil to pistil, stopping only long enough to impregnate them with another's pollen.

 

The orange sphere of the sun, with its out stretching streams of gold and fuchsia hues, dips low on the horizon. She is waiting, Cinderella, in her feign dormancy, awaits her champion. Soon he arises, emerging through the inky night to settle in the sky. Her sole devoted admirer.

 

The symphony of crickets and secedes, signals her apperance. She begins to unfold her virginal white petals until the delicate center is revealed.  To touch her, would ruin the innocence she exudes, so he must admire her beauty from afar, illuminating her against the darkness.

 

This is the dalliance they have created, his devotion to place her in the light and hers, to only reveal herself in his presence, his Queen of the Night.

 

As the witching hour fades and the gold and fuchsia streams emerge again, Cinderella closes her chasten petals and the champion retreats from the sky. The magic of the Midnight Garden once again shrouded away, until the next eve.

© 2008 JC


Author's Note

JC
There really is a flower called " The Queen of the Night"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Speechless, I am inspired to write a poem off this. May I. Is this the flower? The photo you have with it.

Superb!.

Art

Posted 16 Years Ago


Hello JC,
I really like this work and you have revealed to us another beautiful part of nature that reminds me of the Nautilus shell which represents a logarithmic spiral similar to other spirals such as the Golden Mean. I think we are still discovering how repetitious that universal design really is.

Thank you for sharing your writing with us. Cliff



Posted 16 Years Ago


It's a beautiful flower, and a wonderful description of it. Every old culture they had these stories about flowers, trees and animals, giving them human behaviour. Your story can fit right into anthology of such tales.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like snapshots of the natural world and this is a good one.

Pardon the pun, but the word selection is a bit more "flowery" than I usually enjoy, but it sets the mood for this particular piece. The naming of the flower also stood out. An interesting way to personify the main character.

I think we ALL need to consider other perspectives from time to time.

Thank you.







Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Come on, come on, come on, come on ... let's meet out tonight." - Quincy Jones (Secret Garden).

Your work is music. It is music composed in the key of N, N standing for Nature. It's words are so soft, somnolent, and powerfully well articulated. You invest so much in the sense of touch and smell of nature's beauty.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on April 2, 2008

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Phoenix The Phoenix

A Poem by JC


Shame On The Moon Shame On The Moon

A Poem by JC