Why Should We Vote Early?

Why Should We Vote Early?

A Story by JC
"

Opinion

"

I haven't voted yet. I haven't voted yet, not because I don't have time, or my state doesn't offer early voting or anything of the sort. I am not voting early because I don't believe in early voting.

 

I don't believe in Christmas in July either. I think we should have our holidays and not be rushed into them by retailors trying to make a buck.

 

Why should we have early voting?  Is it to rush people to the booths, so they can't change their minds?

 

I'm waiting because I believe in the democaratic process, and that means voting on the day that is designated as Election Day. Now that doesn't mean I do not believe in absentee votes. Our military who are abroad deserve to cast their ballot and be counted, no matter what. I believe that our seniors and disabled Americans need that opportunity too, although I have a different idea on how to accomplish that.

 

I believe that newspapers need to refrain from endorsing any canidate as well. I believe that that they shouldn't release polling information, at all. The news outlets have done Americans a diservice with their attempts at "one ups manship", and if they were really, and I mean really interested in keeping the public informed, there would be no unnamed sources, top officials or suppressed tapes. If the party was "brave" enough to state it or produce it, then they should put their name to it.  End of story.

 

I believe Americans have become lazy when it comes to choosing who represents them. Half the people I work with, don't even understand what the electoral college is, what a platform is, or the basic differences between each party's form of government. I can state this, because I get asked questions everyday.

 

I believe its not over until the fat lady sings, and she hasn't sang yet. I am waiting to see what skeltons fall out of the closet in the last 72 hours. It has changed the tide on more than one occassion.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 JC


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Um...

Actually I believe that most things are relative and for those that are interested in the political process they will research an understanding of the candidates, do their homework, and make a selection that they feel will benefit both their individual needs as well as the needs of the country...
AND... there will always be followers, and again most things are relative, because without them leaders don't have such an easy road! :-)
So, if you chose not to vote early OK, but don't worry about the people that are in your social circle who don't understand the political process or those that you think can find an opportunity to vote; just be concerned with your obligation and understanding to DO that which is Important...
*******Just vote AND EXERCISE YOUR POLITICAL RIGHT!*********
Keep it less outside and more inside of what you can control!
I voted early and took my 96 year old grandmother because she didn't want to be given what she called a "hand-out" and be ushered to the front of the line because she was a senior... so we made a deal...
we'll vote EARLY and NOT have to wait as long...
That seems like a small price to pay for 96 years of wisdom!
Interesting write... Though I strongly disagree with the premise and the content of this piece!

Now, to one of your other poems!

Thank you for sharing!
Respectfully,
The Duchess...



Posted 15 Years Ago


I know that I'm reading these a little out of season, but they are really excellent points. I have long said that the newspapers can't remain objective if they are choosing a horse. I vote on election day as well. However, there are a lot of older people in my community that had to wait in line for two hours on election day. That is unacceptable. I feel it's my patriotic duty, but I am in good health. I tried to convince some of my friends that there would be late voting. It didn't work. Sorry that this is not so much of a review as a validation of your points. Well written though. You have quite a range of abilities.

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ah
good luck getting into the building to vote on election day this year if there is no such thing as early voting anymore. this year there is going to be a record amount of voters and last election, they had to turn away voters because it was closing time. i do not think that it's a good idea to have early voting terminated. i do, however, believe that super tuesday or whatever its called should be a national holiday where all schools and businesses are closed for voting and would allow for more people to care for who wins. they also need to get rid of the electoral voting because that says that people who live in different states have more say than the other people in other states and that is immoral because that is saying that one individual has more power than another. on top of that, al gore beat bush in popular vote in 2000 which means that he should have been our next president. why this electoral vote is not a big deal, i have no idea because it REALLY pisses me off.

i do believe that if our media was not to be bias, then we would have equal coverage and equal discussion of ALL CANDIDATES from the VERY BEGINNING. (you would know who ron paul is before 5 days of the election haha and on a more serious note, he would probably be winning the election tomorrow). the media is terrible. we need an overhaul in a lot of categories. good write, makes people think.

Posted 15 Years Ago


While your essay is concise and clearly delivered, I respectfully disagree. I think that early voting is a good thing. What if your boss disagrees with your politics and requires that you work all day on election day? Early voting takes that power away. My father died on Sept 25 this year. He wanted so badly to hang on long enough to vote. Sadly, he did not. There are states in which people like my father would have been able to perform on final act to look out for the future of his grandchildren. Early voting decreases lines on election day cutting down the ability for dirty tricks on election day.

And lastly ... very few people change their minds in the closing days of a campaign.

Posted 15 Years Ago


The latest skeleton the media has presented (as far as I know) is that Obama's Aunt is living illegally in the USA. You know lots of dirt is going to be slung in the next three days.

At this point, I just want everyone to vote and for the election to be over. Millions are fleeing for their lives in the Congo, our economy is in the toilet, etc...etc.....We've got to get going!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
5 Reviews
Added on November 1, 2008
Last Updated on November 1, 2008

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC