Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Jlee001
"

Kyle starts to break down Kenzie's walls and forces his way into her life. She tries to keep him out, but fails to do so.

"

Since I moved to Llano, I’ve lost my reputation as the wild child and the “it” girl at school. I mean I caused a ruckus when I first arrived, but after it was established that I was basically mute, the talk and excitement died down. A couple of girls tried to make friends, but I ignored them and all their girls-night-out invitations. And when I even declined study group hangouts, people finally understood I didn’t want a social life of any kind. Naturally, I still didn’t know anyone’s name after two months, and I planned to keep it that way. However, a pesky little mechanic seemed to stalking me. He showed up at my locker and tried to make conversation with me, and even after I nearly closed my locker on his fingers he just simple called out after me, “You can’t get rid of me, City Girl!” Imagine the shock of all the people in the hallway, seeing someone talking to the mute. And the even greater surprise when he sought me out during lunch, even though we sat in silence and ate our food. I could ignore him for as long as I needed to. Eventually, he would get bored and just simply move on to someone else. 


However, that boy has the persistence of a mosquito, when he followed me to English class, I couldn’t take it anymore and for the first time in two months, I said more than two words in school.

“What is your problem? Just because you helped with my car problem doesn’t mean I’m your girlfriend or something!” 


“She talks?” the students around us shut their mouths immediately and stopped moving. They all turned and looked at me, wide eyed and open mouthed. 


“I’m  in your class silly. Can’t a guy walk to class?” He grinned and pushed past me into the room. Since when was he in my class? Have I really been so quiet and trying so hard to be invisible that I’ve neglected to notice my own surroundings? I know I’ve been the quiet girl sitting in the back of class, but I haven’t really been too oblivious have I? I walked into class, leaving the shocked crowd behind me. Sitting in my usual seat in the back left hand corner, partially hidden by Mrs. Cheney’s overflowing bookcase. I pulled out my notebook and a blue pen ready to take some notes and finish the school day. I could see him sitting three seats diagonally in front of me, trying to get my attention, but I pointedly ignored him and looked at the agenda board. 


“Okay class, settle down. Now I’m sure y’all have looked over the assignment board, and y’all can see that I’m assigning a group project. Really, it should be called a partner project. You and one other person will research a novel in a specific genre, and determine one key theme. You will then both find at least two examples in history when this theme has been demonstrated. You may choose your own method of presenting this project which will be due in two months. Good luck!” As soon as she stopped talking, people began scrambling and quickly declaring who their partner would be. I just sat there and waited for everyone to stop, and I would partner up with some judgmental geek that no one wanted to work with, until I felt the desk next to me slide over and I found myself staring into a now somewhat familiar face. 


“Howdy partner! Better saddle up, this is going to be one heck of a project” He winked at me. His attempt to mock my lack of southern vocabulary was pathetic and rather embarrassing for him. 

“great.” I mumbled to myself. I started to fill out the assignment paper, but stopped at the second blank when I realized I didn’t know his name. My hand paused there for too long and I could feel him smiling and enjoying my embarrassment. 

“Kyle Sullivan.” He drawled out as he grabbed my pen and wrote his own name down. “So what kind of books do city girls like yourself like to read?” He looked down at me. Even sitting, he was a good head taller than I was. That wasn’t really too difficult for anyone actually. I was only 5 foot 2 inches and built like a dancer. And Kyle here, was at least 6 feet tall and apparently on the baseball team, judging from his varsity jacket.  I ignored him, and continued flipping through the list of recommended reads Cheney gave us. 

“So, should I come over to your place tonight?” 

I slammed the paper on the desk so fast my pen flew across the room. 

“What?!” I basically yelled at him. Mrs. Cheney and a couple of students near our corner looked up in shock. The school would be buzzing with rumors today that I could in fact, speak, and not just among the students. I’m sure Mrs. Cheney would be sharing the big news with the other teachers who have tried to make me participate in class.

“Geez, try not to murder anyone. I was just saying, to go over some books and ideas? I mean you don’t think I’m going to make you do all this by yourself do you?”
“Oh yeah. Sure I guess. I’m busy after school though. Maybe tomorrow?” or never. I casually responded, trying to stop the sudden fear I felt in having a boy come over. What happened to the old, carefree, nonchalant feeling of “been there, done that” when a boy suggested we “hang out” alone? 

“Oh come on, what could you possibly be doing ALL day after school? Right up to the moment you go to bed?” He laid his hand across the back of my chair. 

“I have to go for a run, and work on some other homework.” I tried to move my chair away.

“I’m sure you can make some time for English. I’ll stop by around 5.” He began to pack his books up and grabbed my phone. I watched as he put his number in and placed it in my hands and waited for the bell to ring. 


As soon as I got home, I changed into some spandex and grabbed a sports bra to wear under my under armor. I blasted my running playlist through my earbuds and headed outside. Bubby, our little overly hyper fox dog ran next to me. Kasey had just bought hubby a month before I moved in with her, and I loved him the second he smothered my face with doggy kisses. Whenever I ran at home, he always followed me around the neighborhood, stopping occasionally to play with some of the neighborhood kids. Today, I lost track of time and kept running until my songs started to repeat themselves. As I neared my driveway, I saw a green Jeep and stopped to a walk. I could already see his long frame sitting on my front porch. Bubby, the little traitor that he is, ran towards Kyle and demanded a good rubbing as well as cuddling. Looking up as I walked in front of him, he checked me out. I fought the urge to try to stretch my shorts over my legs or to hug myself. 

“You look good. And sweaty.” wow, captain obvious of the year isn’t he?

“What are you doing here? I said I was busy today.” 

“And I said I was going to stop by at 5, and oh lookee, it’s 5: 30. Guess I’ll have to stay a half hour longer to make up for that lost time” He smiled, and Bubby rolled over so he could effectively scratch his back. 

“Not today. I have other things to do.”
“You’re not going to make me leave after I drove all this  way to do our project are you?” He looked at me with some puppy dog eyes, and Bubba sat up next to him, giving me his own set of puppy dog eyes. That dog was so not getting any more treats for the next two months. 


“Fine, but you’re not going anywhere near my bedroom, and you’re going to have to wait another half hour for me to shower.” I unlocked the front door left him standing in the living room. 

“You sure you don’t want me to join?” 

“No you perv. Stay out there or else I will kick you out of the house.” 


A half hour later, sitting in some sweats and a loose gym shirt with my hair still damp from my shower, I glared at him over a pile of books.
“When and where did you get these?” I asked him. When I walked out of my bathroom, the living room was transformed into some library from the 1800s. Some of the books were covered in dust and leather bound. 

“My parents are big into collecting books and other stuff. And since we’re reading historical fiction, I thought I’d look through their books and see if we can use anything. So how are we going to do this?” He looked up from Bubba’s stomach and tried to reach for a book without dropping him to the floor. 

“I guess we’ll just choose some books, read a little bit of it and see if we like it?” I tossed him the first book of the pile, creating a cloud of dust in his face. 

“Sounds good.” He opened the book and nearly suffered from an asthma attack as he tried to clear his lungs. 

We sat in silence for about an hour, just reading. No snide remarks, or sexual jokes, although I caught him staring a couple of times. Neither of us found anything interesting and after going through nearly half of the pile, he finally spoke up.

“I think we need a break. All that dust is making my brain stop working.” I rolled my eyes, he has a brain? I wouldn’t know since he couldn’t pick up any social hints at all.

“So you’re ready to leave?” I responded.

“I was going to suggest a food break.”

“I am not cooking for you. And I don’t want take out.” and no way are we going out to eat. 

“So we’ll go somewhere to eat. You have got to be hungry. I’m betting you didn’t eat before your run, and you haven’t eaten anything since we started. So that means, the last time you ate had to be at least 4 hours ago.” He started getting up and held out his hand. 

“I am not going anywhere. And I am definitely not going to eat out with you.” I stayed in my seat on the couch, picking up another book. He pulled my to my feet and shoved me towards my room.

“It’s not like it’s a date or anything.” He taunted me. “Go get changed and we can go. I’ll drive!” I glared at him from the staircase.
“If it’s not a date the why do I have to get changed?”
“Find don’t change. I’m hungry. Let’s just go.” As if on cue, his stomach grumbled loud enough to scare bubba. I was rude, but I wasn’t a big enough b***h to make someone starve because of my own stubbornness. I’ll just sit at my own table once we get there. 

“Okay, but I’m driving myself.” 


When we pulled into the parking lot of Cafe, he waited by my door so I wouldn’t run off without him. Once we entered, I ordered a baked Mac and Cheese and he ordered a panini. Once we got our food, I sat down at a little one-person booth and started to eat my delicious and uber cheesy dinner. He grabbed my bowl before I could even get the first scoop in, and walked away with it. He sat down at a two person booth and did his stupid little smirk again. Flaring my nostrils, I walked over and sat down. 

“I just wanna get to know my english partner.” 

“There’s nothing to know.” This mac and cheese was fantastic. I just might get another one…

“Sure there is. Why would a cute city girl like you come to a small southern town?” 

I froze. I didn’t prepare myself for that. I had no ready response for that. I certainly couldn’t tell him the real answer too. He probably noticed my internal conflict and decided to help me. 

“Probably for that Mac and Cheese huh? You scarfed that thing down.” 

I looked down, it was true, most of it was gone, and he had only taken a couple of bites from his own sandwich. 

“Yeah. That’s exactly it. I couldn’t resist not ever trying Cafe’s Mac and Cheese.” I laughed. 

“So what about you, how long have you been here?” I tried to turn the attention towards him. 

“Since I was born.” He proudly tried to grin with a closed mouth except his mouthful of bread and mozzarella cheese made him look like a chipmunk.  I burst out laughing and accidentally spit my soda on him. He jumped up knocking his seat over, looking horrified. After a moment of staring at me wild eyed, he couldn’t help himself but double over and sit on the ground. A couple of the staff came over trying to help us but we were laughing so hard we couldn’t even say anything so they finally walked away. 

“Wow, I haven’t laughed like this in years.” I watched as he dried himself.

“You should laugh more. It sounds cute you know?” I looked away. “Sorry, didn’t mean to ruin our moment by complimenting you.”

“It fine. You’re right. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I’m a little sensitive when it comes to this. I don’t really like guys hitting on me and such.” I picked at the remaining pieces of Mac while he finished his panini. 

“Maybe I’m not trying to hit on you… Maybe I’m trying to be polite.” he smirked, again. I should start a count of how many times he did that. 

“Okay a*****e. Hurry up and finish so we can go home. I still have to work on some calc homework.” I stood up and paid for my own food. No way he was going to pay for me, then he’d really call it a date. 



© 2015 Jlee001


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on January 29, 2015
Last Updated on January 29, 2015
Tags: Young Adult, Romance, Fiction, High school, Party Girl


Author

Jlee001
Jlee001

Hillsborough, NJ



About
Just a high school student with a multitude of ideas floating around in my head. I'm training to be a professional ballerina, but I also enjoy writing and creating stories. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jlee001


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jlee001


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jlee001