Vroom!

Vroom!

A Story by Sarah
"

A daydream I had once and wrote about in high school.

"

   I sat at my old, chipped and beaten-up desk as the teacher droned on and on about some alien rule of the dreaded Trigonometry. The room swam in and out of focus as the heat of approaching summer sank into me, and suddenly the dissatisfaction that had annoyed me all day, like an itch I could not reach to scratch, washed over me stronger than ever.

   My left foot slid down to the floor of a black Ford Mustang as my right hand pulled the stickshift out of fifth and into fourth in one smooth motion. Taking a deep, exhaust-filled breath that stung my nose and settled at the back of my throat, I let the clutch out. The engine revved and the car lept beneath me. I steadied myself as excitement filled me and then, in a fast flowing moveent, I accelerated. It wasn't a racecar feeling--only a 'Stang afterall-- but the car vroomed just as I had wanted it to and I watched feverishly as the dial crept up; 70, 80, 90...

   Time slowed as I sped, hands at ten and two, sweeping my sexy back-end through waves of narrow-minded traffic; far less confining as dotted lines than they'd been mere milliseconds before. In and out, between and past slower, more conservative cars I sped with the recklessness that had quickly replaced my restless attitude. And then suddenly it slowed, and with it my car.

   60 seconds later I was back to just another car, driving conservatively down the highway; a few mphs above the limit but not more than any cop would notice. I nodded pleasantly to the nice old lady who let me into her lane on the right, and the Mustang faded away to be replaced once again by my old, chipped and beaten-up desk. The drone of an engine became the moans of a homework-assigned classroom and I focused my attention on the monotone voice of the teacher as she tried to fill the time until the bell rang.

© 2008 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

-lol- i loved reading this!
i end up day dreaming in class all the time.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it''s amazing where our minds can take us when necessary. a much needed escape from the classroom - daydreaming at it's best. wonderfully described here. nicely done.

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh God..
The VROOM. The escape from the heated hell of monotony. I think I sat in that desk. But damn, it was great while it lasted, and no-one knew where you've been, while they endured the mundane. You tore it up. You didn't miss a thing. They should have piled in for the ride of a life. I loved this. I was a squirrel watcher..no Stang..just stupid little creatures that could grasp the smallest twig. I would have loved the VROOM!! This was a cool piece. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 5, 2008

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Westminster, CO



About
My name is Sarah (obviously) and I am 20-years-old. I've been writing poetry since I was 12, but my real ambition is to be a young adult fiction writer. I love getting reviews, especially when they're.. more..

Writing
Confidence Confidence

A Story by Sarah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..