Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Sheri

Chapter 14
The private airfield Casey had referred to was a short drive away from town, taking them roughly half an hour to reach and to top it off, this place was anything but empty.  Behind the gated fencing around the property, the group could the safety of their vehicle see a few of the creatures darting from building to building in search of more prey from. 
Casey swallowed, the feeling of utter despair coming over her.  “They’ve already reached this far…”
SCOPE raised his rifle using its scope to survey the area more closely.  He sighed, pulling the gun back inside the vehicle.  “There is a thick chain fitted with a pad lock wrapped around the front entrance.”
“Damn…”  AUTO said hitting the palm of his hand off the wheel.  He looked back to Nick.  “What should we do MELEE?  I could always try ramming the fence.”
Nick considered the suggestion for a moment.  “It’s worth a shot,” He began, “but let’s head back for the others.  We have no way of knowing if we will be able to get through and trying it twice seems risky with all these things running about.”
AUTO nodded.  “Alright.”  Putting the vehicle in reverse, he accelerated quickly, hitting something with a loud bang as he reversed causing everyone to be rattled within their seats from the sudden abrupt harsh motions.  “The hell?”  He remarked leaning over the steering wheel for a better view. A smirk crossed his lips as he seen one of the 10s sprawled out on the dirt road, its head twisted back in an obscure manner.  “Damn thing must have tried sneaking up on us.”
“If that’s the case, shouldn’t we start moving again before more of them show up?”  Casey suggested coolly, though her heart pounded within her chest.  The unexpected jolt of the vehicle had scared the daylights out of her.  She thought for sure the blazer had been turned over, that the creatures had finally made their move to attack.
“Sure.”  He said in a long drawn out tone, before placing the blazer in gear and pressing his foot down on gas.  The large vehicle lurched forward, hitting the creature’s still body once more, with a crunch under the wheels.  Casey winced at the sight of the creature in AUTO’s driver mirror.  If it wasn’t dead before, it most certainly was now.  The front left wheel had crushed its skull, leaving a bloody mess of tissue and brain matter oozing out onto the dirt road.
Her gaze shifted to Nick, trying to get the sight of the mangled creature from her mind.  He stared out his window, moving his thumb across the hilt of his dagger in a slow methodical manner.  He was in deep thought and she was certain she knew about what.  
The first being obvious with their entourage having to head back to the facility with very little being accomplished on their part.  The second she believed had to be about the others.  Were they going to be at the facility waiting for them?  Or did they even have enough time to do what they needed to do?  There was the highest of possibilities that something could have happened while they attempted to set the charges…were they even all right?  In all honesty, these were the concerns on her mind at the moment.  She only wanted the others to return safely.
Casey closed her eyes as the blazer hit another “bump” in the road, praying the rest of the team was all right as well. 
*  * *
It was nearing an hour since the group of four made it back to the empty fifth floor of the facility.  SCOPE was cleaning his gun for what seemed to be the 100th time.  AUTO sat back in the chair in front of the computer terminal, leaning back, his eyes shut. Casey couldn’t understand how he was able to sleep. Not knowing what had happened to the others was unnerving.  Even Nick was pacing the floors before the elevators and she herself bit nervously at her thumbnail.  
Her gaze fell to AUTO again, her brows narrowing in irritation.  It took everything in her not to wake him. She wanted to wring him by his neck and felt herself taking the initial step forward when the sound of the elevators doors opening stopped her in mid-step.  Her gaze fell to the members of their missing team exiting the elevator, the feeling of relief welding up within her, so much she was almost giddy with it. 
Nick smiled.  “Nice to see you’ve made it.”
MED shrugged.  “There were a couple of snags along the way but with BANG’s magic fingers and knowhow with explosives, it was simple enough.”
“You sure do like to brown nose there MED.”  AUTO remarked from his seat, sitting upright. “Glad you guys are alright though.”  Casey felt a pang of guilt.  Apparently, he hadn’t been sleeping at all.
“Yeah, yeah.  Not everyone can be self-praising asses like you AUTO.”  MED jabbed back.
Nick cleared his throat, signaling for their little joke-war to stop.  There were more pressing things at the moment that needed his attention.  His gaze fell to BANG.  “So everything is set?”
“Everything within the town’s radius.”  BANG answered, and then noted the ashen faces.  “What is it?”
“Well,” Casey began, looking to the others warily, “the creatures…they made it to the air field, about a half hour drive from town.”
A silence fell over the room; each one of them knew what it meant for the creatures to have been spotted outside of town.  They were migrating. It was just that no one knew how far.  Could it possibly be already too late to stop their spread?
“The plan still stands.”  Everyone looked to Nick as he nodded as if to confirm his own thoughts.  “No matter how far they have traveled, the fact that this place,” he pointed downward toward the floor, indicating the facility as a whole, “is the creatures’ birthplace.  We have to do what we can to destroy this place and the nests they have created.”
“Damn straight.”  AUTO said with a smile standing to his feet, eager to end the terror that has plagued them for so many years.  “Let’s get to it then!”
Nick held out his hand, stopping AUTO from proceeding to the elevators.  “Not so fast.”  His gaze fell to the others as his hand lowered to his side.  “First things first, we need to restock our supplies and have one last decent meal.  It’s mid-day and we haven’t eaten anything yet.”
“We left the food at the grocery store...”  MED’s voice trailed.
“There should be enough to scrounge something up here.”  SCOPE stated already heading to the kitchen.  “I’ll get started.”
“Right, I’ll take care of the other supplies.”  Nick said in agreement.  “We already know some creatures have left the town‘s boundaries, and well, there isn’t much we can do about that now…” he looked over everyone with a sullen expression.  “Just try to rest up until lunch.  We will be heading out soon after that.”   
A loud ping sounded from the computer terminal, catching their attention.  TECH’S brows narrowed.  “That’s for that folder I was opening.”  He was already heading for the terminal, pulling his laptop from its case.  “Nearly forgot about that.”  Plugging the laptop into the terminal, TECH sat within his chair waiting for the system to boot.
“Ah, geek-talk, that’s my cue to leave. “  AUTO announced heading down the hall to the living quarters.  “Later.”
Casey shook her head.  She couldn’t believe how immature that man was, especially after knowing what he had gone through. She thought maybe he would be a little more adult-like.   “I’m heading towards the ammunitions room."  Nick announced heading towards the elevator.  “I’ll load all the remaining ammo I can into travel bags.  Be back in a few.”
Casey watched as he boarded the elevator, the doors sliding shut shortly after that.  It bothered her that he hadn’t invited her to join him.  He probably needs some time alone.  She reassured herself with a sigh that soon turned into a long-winded yawn.  Maybe I should take a nap while I have the chance.
She had only taken two steps toward the hall when the giant terminal caught her eye.  Biting her lip, she debated for a second, her curiosity winning in the end.  She turned back, making her way to the terminal where TECH typed furiously on his laptop.  Nearing his side, she cleared her throat, grasping his attention.  “Find anything?”
TECH glanced toward her briefly then shrugged.  “About to find out actually.  I was doing the last finishing touches to safely open the folder.”  He pointed to the screen.  A text box was in its center asking for the authorization code.  “I just need to put in the code and…” he tapped a few keys before hitting the enter button.  “There we go.”
The large terminal screen flashed once before numerous files opened onto the screen.  A mix of typed documents, recordings and even photos popped onto the screen before them in less than 30 second.  For a moment, she and TECH caught one another’s gaze, as if to ask one another where to start.
Casey’s brows narrowed, pointing out to the larger screen.  “TECH, see if you can click that photo…I can only see part of the face but I think I might know who it is.”
“Seriously?”  He questioned before moving the cursor through a touch pad on the control panel.  With two quick clicks of a side button, the photo came to the front.  Casey’s jaw dropped at the photo.  There was a group of four men.  From right to left, there was a man wearing a gray suit.  She swallowed, her hand pointing to him.  “That’s mayor Gozby.”  Her hand passed over the two unfamiliar men wearing white coats, to the man on the left.  “And that is General Hopskener…”  Her voice trailed off, as she looked to TECH her hand lowering to her side.  ‘Don’t tell me they had something to do in all of this?’  
TECH looked to her grimly, seemingly reading her thoughts.  “A lot of men carry dangerous lies.”
Casey felt as if she were punched in the gut.  She knew what TECH had said to be true, but these men were active in her way of life.  Gozby had known each person personally in his growing town and General Hopskener was her link to the military, an old family friend.  To think either one of them had anything to do with the dealings of this facility…it sickened her.
“Hello, what is this?”
Without Casey’s notice, TECH had clicked onto another file, this time a document.  It appeared to be some sort of log.
January 17th 2000, 
It has been a full year since the Project 9s have been routed out.  Now only 20 remain.  These boys were the only ones who were able to withstand the T29XY series injections and are continuing to the next phase.  Their specialty phase.
Though we have had countless failures of Project 9, they are not at all a loss to us.  It seems that there are talks of a new project beginning soon and these subjects will be stepping-stones to a greater cause.  Though we are not sure what these new tests will produce, I am rather eager to begin my work.  To think, a subject that may possibly be stronger than our Project 9s.  Surely, it is an intriguing concept.
Casey felt a shiver run down her spine.  The new project that man had mentioned could only be those creatures.  But it was what the scientist had said about the failures not being a loss that they were stepping-stones to a greater cause…Did that mean those children who had failed were used in the development of the 10s?
Her attention moved to a few logs down this one dated January 19th.
Though we had promising results with the chemical PXG114, it appears to be having diminishing effects of the new subjects’ skin.  The normal pinkish hue of most of our subject flesh has become translucent.  This normally would not be of any concern since injuries and illness are quite easily seen without physical examination in this state, however the consistency of the skin is what poses the problem.  It is no longer taunt and strong gaining a consistency of similar to mucus.  We are barely able to keep the skin from falling from the bone at this rate.   And their eyes are nothing more than gelatinous goop.  What good are these subjects with no sense of sight?  No, this just won’t do.  Something must be done.  
Casey swallowed down the bile that had reached her mouth, a bitter taste taking its place.  Though how disgusted she may become, she couldn’t bring herself to stop reading.  There were so many questions she had wanted answered, and this log was giving her some answers.  She looked to TECH, seeing that he too was captivated by these words.  Maybe now he was truly finding out what had happened to the others who had failed Project 9.  It was a horrible thing for her to read, let alone for someone who was able to put a face to those people.
January 21st
After hours upon hours of testing with chemical PXG130, it is found that injecting the subjects prior to PXG114 with PXG130 would prevent the mucus state of the flesh.  The pigment still becomes translucent and the flesh is strengthened considerably, becoming harder like that of an insect‘s exoskeleton yet remaining flexible around the joints allowing the 10s to be mobile.  This in itself is quite a remarkable achievement.  
However, it is the eyes that still become a loss, glazing over with a blackened substance the body produces, and then hardening over time.  The General had said the sight of the creature was magnificent and should stay as such.  That in times of war, sometimes the sight of the enemy coming after you is enough to break even the strongest of men.  
I don’t think I can disagree...but I do wish there was something to be done about those eyes…
February 1st
It has been two weeks since the change with PXG130 administrations.  Nothing new has come to light.  After today’s observations, it was shown the subjects no longer show any adverse effects from the injections.  Tomorrow we can finally continue with our work.
February 2nd
After breaking three of our needles, we decided it to be best to dispense any more of our substances orally.  With the subjects beginning to become bitey, these administrations should prove to be a vexing task.  Anything to delay our research…
March 4th
Nearly two months have passed and our subjects look absolutely demonic.  It is thrilling to witness what my work has created.  But we need to take caution.  No longer are we able to strap our subjects down.  They are far too strong for such restraints and sedatives do nothing to them.  We have already lost three scientists to one subject…but I must say I am curious.  We have been sustaining these creatures on food we have carefully selected for them and as it eats Dr. Simmons now, I can’t help but wonder what this shall do for my research?
“This guy was absolutely nuts.”  Casey said aloud.  “I mean, letting one of those things eat his collages?”
TECH nodded, having already read the following logs.  “But it only gets worse.”
She couldn’t think of what could be worse than that, but after she began to read, she could feel her blood run cold.
March 11th
Oh, their screams are bliss!  Though I can’t make a habit of these accidents, it was thrilling to see what my work was able to do with those dagger teeth and flawlessly shaped talons.  It seems, however, not all of their food is being consumed.  One had dragged its unconscious prey to a corner.  Maybe for later perhaps?  Either way, I must watch them even more carefully now.
Casey couldn’t believe what she read.  The first three scientists were truly accidental deaths, or she had hoped…but this?  He was sending his colleagues for slaughter just for some notes?
April 2nd,
It seems for as many people I give them, the more sacs they make, and the more creatures emerge.  At first, I was astonished almost to the point of disbelief, but for every case I was presented, this is what has taken place.  They had found a way to reproduce and through the genetics of the dead.
These newer creatures seem even stronger, almost smarter.  One of the creatures even spat some nasty, eroding substance at the observatory glass, possibly hearing the sound of the lab techs mucking about, causing them to get into a stir.
Though the substance did nothing to the glass, it was found that it is acidic, and if contact is made, to, let’s say, that of a human…severe burns would result.
Even though I regret to make such a call, it is for the best to not continue with the live feedings.  It is apparent they are able to use the DNA of its victims to make it stronger and more adaptive to life.
Casey’s mouth went dry.  Everything she read had disturbed her greatly.  But that last log had to have been the worse, hitting her hard, making her almost sick with its words.  Every one of those sacs within the school…they were once human.  With a sinking heart, she realized that those sacs had to contain the remains of the missing townsfolk…and with a strange acceptance; she felt her father was among them as well.  
She knew in her heart that her father, no matter how angry he may be with her, would still call her, especially after leaving such a note for her and her sister.  
Her attention turned to TECH.  “Is there any way that we can transfer this information to a disk or flash drive?”
TECH looked up to her with a raised brow and smirked.  “Yeah, I can make quite a few copies if needed.”
Casey returned his smile, a new found determination giving her much needed strength.  “Then could you make as many as possible?”
“I’ll get right to it.”  He said, pulling a handful of flash drives from his mid-left vest pocket and turning back to the terminal.
Casey turned from him and began to walk towards the living quarters, her smile not once wavering.  There may be nothing she could do to save her father now or anyone else for that matter…but there was one thing she could do.  She was going to see to it that every one of those b******s responsible for this facility and their projects were going to pay.


© 2014 Sheri


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on March 18, 2014
Last Updated on March 18, 2014


Author

Sheri
Sheri

About
It has been a long time since I've been on this website. A lot of things keep happening but what are you going to do? I am fixing up one of my stories that is already on her and once that is finishe.. more..

Writing
Vanish Vanish

A Book by Sheri


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Sheri





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5