Epilouge

Epilouge

A Chapter by Sheri

Epilogue
“This is Stacy Manerveria, updating you on the east coast epidemic.”  The reporter announced from within a news watch helicopter.  An aerial view flashed on the screen, showing a disordered scene of people screaming and running for their lives.  “-a new terroristic bio weapon is suspected.  The military is being called to action-”  
Sitting within the love seat of a hotel only a few feet before the TV, Casey let out a bitter laugh before turning the television off with the remote control.  “So it continues?”  She questioned casually standing to her feet, looking back to Nick.  “Seems our work isn’t finished yet.”  
He walked towards her, rounding the sofa.  “Our work may never come to an end, you know.”  Stopping before her, he placed a hand to her left temple.  A reddish purple bruise had formed there after the plane crash just a few days before. “Are you sure you’ll be alright?”
She winced from pain his tender touch had given her, and then grasped his hand, holding it gently within hers.  “It isn’t like I have much of a choice.”  In the distance, a scream sounded from the floor below.  They have already made it this far…Turning towards the glass coffee table she grabbed the two handguns she had set there earlier.  She had taken her time of peace to make sure they were cleaned and fully loaded.  Turning back to Nick, she handed one of the pistols to him.  “But as long as I have you, I am ready for anything.”
Smiling he placed the gun within his holster at his hip, pulling his dagger from the sheath on his chest, still feeling more comfortable with his hand to hand skills instead of with a gun.  He would hold onto it for her sake at any rate.  “Were you talking to me or the gun?”
She returned the smile.  “I’ll let you think about that.”
Beneath their feet were the muffled sounds of breaking glass and a chorus of screams.  Gunfire could be heard soon after; one a steady rhythm, the other with a minor pause in between each shot.  
He turned from her, “Seems they started without us.”
The two left the room in a fast pace, entering into a long hallway.  A young man, his shirt covered in the blood of another, ran passed them in a frantic manner, his face pale and blank of any thought.  Raising her gun, she couldn’t help but feel empathy for the man.  She had been acting in the same manner when she, herself, was first introduced to those things.
A sigh escaped her lips.  “You think this will ever come to an end Nick?”
He looked to Casey, thinking of what would be best to tell her before giving her an answer.  Tapping his vest pocket, he gave her a small smile.  “Only if we can get the truth out, then maybe.”  
Casey raised her gun as they reached the stairs to the lobby.  Though she had seen these creatures in action before, the chaotic scene below was more than enough to make her want to turn and run.  To never, ever turn back.  Still, she held her ground, watching the creatures as they fed and tore apart their helpless victims.  It was already too late for most of them.  Nevertheless, they had to try.
Looking over the railing, they could see SCOPE and MED standing with their backs against an opened door, fending off the creatures they could.  The group had surveyed the area before upon arrival, mostly out of habit.  That door lead to an underground garage, which lead to another way out.  Could they be guarding the area for an escape route?  
AUTO stuck his head through the door, waving whatever people he could through.  “Come on, come on!”
She turned to Nick, and without a single word, the two headed down the stairway, directly into the battle below.  As long as they still had hope, as long as they still had people to protect, she would do whatever possible in order to survive in this new world she had only just awakened to not even a week before.  Those b******s…all of them will pay.


© 2014 Sheri


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on March 18, 2014
Last Updated on March 18, 2014


Author

Sheri
Sheri

About
It has been a long time since I've been on this website. A lot of things keep happening but what are you going to do? I am fixing up one of my stories that is already on her and once that is finishe.. more..

Writing
Vanish Vanish

A Book by Sheri


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Sheri