Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by JBudak

Luke made his way down the pot luck picnic buffet line, piling up with fresh glazed carrots out of the Osterhaus' garden and Mrs. Beringer's blue ribbon blueberry pie. He sat at a wooden picnic table next to Danny, who was inhaling three-cheese macaroni casserole.

Danny mindlessly stuffed another forkfull into his mouth, staring across the grass field at a group of the baton twirlers from the parade. He nudged Luke.

"Is that Shell?" he asked, motioning toward one of the girls. She had long dark hair with little ringlet curls at the ends. A blue satin ribbon held back the top part of her hair, exposing bright green eyes with mile-long lashes. She flicked her baton into the air, twirled around and expertly caught it with a nod. The other girls applauded.

Luke shrugged. He barely remembered the last time he visited here. It was 4 years ago and he only remembered falling off the pier at the farm and nearly drowning among the weeds at the bottom of Crystal Lake. He clearly remembered looking up as the bubbles floated away and water filled his chest, and the soft muddy sand sucked his feet down into the earth. Then a big hand plucking him out of the abyss. Everything else about that visit was a blur.

Danny hopped up. "Wish me luck," he said, smoothing the front of his shirt. Then he jogged across the grass to talk to the girls.

Luke looked around for his aunt and uncle. They were walking over from the buffet line. Aunt Sassy carried a neatly arranged plate of sensibly portioned tasties, while Uncle Ed juggled 3 plates piled high with mountains of food. They sat across from Luke and Sassy surveyed Ed's smorgasbord with a shake of her head and exasperated sigh.

"What?" he said, digging in. "It would be rude not to try everything!" Luke laughed.

"Room for one more?" a voice spoke over Luke's shoulder.

"Fisher!" Aunt Sassy exclaimed, practically leaping over the picnic table. "You're home!" She wrapped her arms tightly around the man's neck. He closed his brawny arms around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"Hi, mom," he said smiling. Fisher Crawford was a college baseball superstar. He was studying at Indiana State University on a full scholarship. He'd inherited his mother's thick, dark, wavy hair which he'd let grow down over his ears, and his father's caramel-colored eyes. He'd also gotten the trademark Crawford smile, the same mischievous grin that made Aunt Sassy say yes when Uncle Ed first asked her to a movie. "Hey, squirt! Long time no see! Where's your brother?" Fisher said, lightly punching Luke in the shoulder. Luke pointed to where Danny stood charming the baton girls. Fisher laughed. "He must get that from me."

Fisher sat down next to Luke and swiped one of Uncle Ed's plates of food. Luke stared at him, thinking about what Mr. Swindale had said, wondering what secrets Fisher could tell him.

After lunch and a few rickety bone-rattling carnival rides, the family headed back to the truck. Danny asked if Shell and her sister Marie could come back to the farm to swim in the lake. Uncle Ed approved, and the girls and Danny hopped into the bed of the truck.

"You coming, Luke?" Danny called from the truck. Luke glanced at Fisher getting into his little blue Civic.

"Fisher!" Luke yelled, trotting closer. He stopped a few feet from the car. "Can I ride with you?"

"Hop in," Fisher answered, tossing a few candy wrappers off the passenger seat.

The corn fields whizzed past and the radio blared a country song.

"Fisher? Can I ask you a question?" Luke shouted over the noise. Fisher turned down the radio.

"What was that?"

"Can I ask you a question?" Luke repeated. Fisher nodded. Luke continued. "Who is Uncle Aloysius?"

Fisher raised his eyebrows. "You've never heard the stories... you were too little the last time..."

"Who was he?" Luke pressed. Fisher palmed Luke's baseball cap covered head.

"I'll tell you what. Later, we'll start a campfire and I'll tell you kids all about Uncle Al..." He glanced sideways at Luke, "...as long as you promise not to be too scared."

Luke nodded, thoroughly confused.


© 2013 JBudak


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really loving your story! It has such an enjoyable pace, clear writing and great expression.

This chapter was a great character establishing segment. You described Shell excellently, but I feel you could have spent a little more time introducing Fisher (only because I'm assuming he will be an important character). The collage baseball star was a nice touch and maybe just including some physical attributes would have enhanced the chapter even more!

Also, total hi-five to Danny for picking up lol!
Great work as always, I can't wait to keep reading!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Really loving your story! It has such an enjoyable pace, clear writing and great expression.

This chapter was a great character establishing segment. You described Shell excellently, but I feel you could have spent a little more time introducing Fisher (only because I'm assuming he will be an important character). The collage baseball star was a nice touch and maybe just including some physical attributes would have enhanced the chapter even more!

Also, total hi-five to Danny for picking up lol!
Great work as always, I can't wait to keep reading!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice chapter. I really like your descriptions, and I'm getting more and more excited for the stories about Aloysius as I read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JBudak

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I've got some really twisted story ideas for Fisher to tell the kids around the campfire. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2013
Last Updated on July 12, 2013


Author

JBudak
JBudak

Writing
1/17/18 Morning 1/17/18 Morning

A Chapter by JBudak


 Journal Journal

A Book by JBudak