Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by JBudak

Twilight flooded the sky with cobalt blue. Stars appeared one by one, glittering like diamond chips against the velvet backdrop. A pair of bouncing headlights waggled down the rutted gravel driveway. Shell and Marie hopped out of the truck. Fisher heaved a short fat log onto the fire and gave it another squirt of lighter fluid.

The sky faded from dark blue to crisp black. Fisher, Luke, Danny and the girls chatted and laughed while they toasted marshmallows. Danny and Shell huddled together under one of Uncle Ed's huge flannel shirts.

"I heard once," Marie said, breaking a lull in conversation, "that some kids snuck out to Al's cabin to throw eggs at it. He chased them through the woods until he caught all but one and strangled them. The kids that got away told his parents and the police investigated but they didn't find anything."

"Our dad always told us never to go into the woods after dark, or Uncle Al would get us," Shell added.

"I bet you're still scared," teased Danny.

"Am not!" Shell declared.

"Prove it," Danny demanded, pulling Shell to her feet. "We're going for a walk," he said over his shoulder, guiding Shell toward the trail.

Fisher called after them, "Take a flashlight, and signal with it if you need any help." Danny grabbed one off the porch steps.

Luke watched the flashlight beam sweep back and forth across the trail and disappear into the woods. He, Marie and Fisher sat silently listening to the crackling campfire.

A strong breeze blew in the distance, rustling the treetops of the woods, then rushing up over the hills. It blew through Luke and Marie's jackets, and gave Fisher goosebumps on his bare arms. Fisher looked up toward the woods. I white ball of light bounced just beyond the treeline.

Fisher jumped up, on alert. "They're signaling. Something must be wrong," he said sprinting down the hillside. Luke and Marie followed. As they approached the entrance to the wooded area, the white orb steadied. The silhouettes of 3 boys appeared behind it. Fisher blinked, not quite sure what to make of it.

"Hey! This is private property!" Fisher warned the shadow figures. They slipped into the darkness of the trees followed by their guide light. Fisher clenched his jaw and bolted after them.

The trail was rough and lined with thorn bushes, and pitch black. The three stumbled through, following the swiftly moving light. Marie slipped her hand into Luke's and squeezed. The giant butterflies in his stomach fluttered again.

Fisher paused and turned toward the others. "Do you smell that?" Luke sucked in a whiff of air. It stung his nose. "Smoke. Something is burning," Fisher said quickening his pace. The air grew thick and harsh, and it became difficult to breathe. A scream pierced the dark woods.

"HELP! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US!"

The white orb gave way to a red smoldering glow. In a clearing just ahead stood the ruins of a stone foundation cabin engulfed in flames.

"HELP!"

"Marie, go get help!" Marie nodded and nimbly navigated the path back to the house.

"Luke, follow me!" Fisher ordered, bounding into the clearing. Fisher dove through the wall of flame, crying out in pain as the fire blistered his exposed arms and face. He wrapped a strong arm around the terrified Danny and Marie to carry them out, but the hungry inferno licked at his pant leg, setting it ablaze. Danny pulled him to the ground to extinguish him.

Luke squeezed his eyes shut tight. "This can't be happening," he whimpered to himself.

Suddenly, an ice cold wind swept through twisting the tips of the trees above like a tornado, tossing dry leaves and earth into the air, and extinguishing the blaze. It carried a cackling howl that growled...

"GET OFF MY LAND".

Fisher, Danny and Shell sat huddled together on the sooty ground surrounded by the charred remains of the cabin ruins. Fisher was nearly in tears, wracked with searing pain. Danny held him, trying desperately to offer comfort. Shell sat covered in dirt and ash, her face in her hands, sobbing.

"There they are! I see them!" came Uncle Ed's voice through the trees. Police and E.M.T.s emerged to rescue the kids. The rescue workers carefully lifted Fisher onto a stretcher and carried him to a waiting ambulance. They wrapped Danny and Shell in blankets and helped them out of the woods and into the ambulance with Fisher.

Marie wrapped her arms around Luke's neck in a hug. He buried his face in her strawberry scented hair and fought back tears.

"Luke, are you okay, sweetheart?" Aunt Sassy asked, hugging both children to her chest. Luke nodded.

"How did this happen?" Uncle Ed wondered aloud.

Luke didn't reply, but he knew the answer.

Old Uncle Al was back.


© 2014 JBudak


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2014


Author

JBudak
JBudak

Writing
1/17/18 Morning 1/17/18 Morning

A Chapter by JBudak


 Journal Journal

A Book by JBudak