'Garden Column - January 2009'

'Garden Column - January 2009'

A Chapter by Jason S Breed

Start construction jobs early.

 

At this time of the year the weather can be less the hospitable but there is always work to do.

If the weather breaks then it is a great time to get on with any construction work you have put off.

New paths can be laid, rockeries can be built, fences can be repaired or put up and pergolas can be constructed.

Also areas designated for planting in the spring can be dug over and the soil can be improved using a wide range of products that can save you a lot of extra work and time later on in the spring.

Of course if you happen to be one of those unlucky souls whom has a sticky, heavy clay soil then the work will be an uphill struggle but leave the soil roughly dug over and let the frosts break the soil down so that when spring finally sets in your soil will hopefully can be broken down into a fine tilth ready for planting.

Of course you can help nature along by applying some Vitax Pelleted Clay Breaker to the area – this product is a blend of organic matter and gypsum and will help break down even the heaviest clay without affecting the natural pH of your soil.

 

Prepare new Strawberry beds.

 

Areas designated on the allotment or vegetable plot for the Wimbledon’s favourite fruit should be prepared this month.

Dig over the area adding plenty of Wessex Clavering Horse Manure Compost and add some Vitax Pelleted Q4 Fertiliser to help give your plants a good start in the spring.

If you have a heavy clay soil then the large, heavy clumps should be left to allow the frost to help break them down.

 

Mulch under Gooseberries.

 

If you possess some Gooseberry bushes then this month they will need some attention.

First remove all weed growth from around the base of your plants. Then mulch around your plants with Wessex Clavering Horse Manure Compost and top-dress with Vitax Pelleted Q4 Fertiliser. By adding this it will help give your plants a good and strong start to the season.

 

Start tidying shrubberies.

 

Areas of shrubs should cleared and tidied ready for the coming year.

Weeds and unwanted plants should be removed and disposed of. Once this done apply a general covering of Levington Rose, Tree and Shrub Compost and top-dress around your plants with Vitax Pelleted Conifer & Shrub Fertiliser.

Use a border fork - lightly tease this mixture into soil around the base of your plants.

Once applied then cover the soil with either Levington Water Saving Bark or Wessex Cocoa Shell to help suppress future weed growth.

Though please note that any pruning should be left until the applicable time according to each plant in the area.  

 

Still time to transplant.

Deciduous trees and shrubs that over the past year you have noticed have been planted in the wrong position and due to not having time in the autumn – then don’t panic as there is still time to move and transplant them.

Before lifting make sure there is no threat of frost present then prepare the hole in the new planting position. As you dig the hole and excavate add a planting medium such as mixture of Miracle-Gro Eco Sense Soil Improver and Vitax Bone Meal to the soil from the hole so transplanted plant will have some food to draw on to get it established.

Fork the bottom over adding more of this mixture - this will stop the soil compacting creating a sump that won’t allow any access water to disperse into the surrounding area. The plant will then sit in a water-logged position that could cause the plant to fail.

Once this is done return to the plant ready for transplanting.

Lift the selected plant with as much of its root ball as possible. Carefully trimming any damaged areas on the root ball with your secateurs.

With your plant lifted – move it to the new area and plant firming the soil well around the roots as you go.

If the plant is quite large then ensure the plant is supported well with a stake to deter it from rocking in high winds.

Once planted water well until it is established.

 

 



© 2008 Jason S Breed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
Added on December 22, 2008


Author

Jason S Breed
Jason S Breed

Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
I am ME...what more is there to say! Oh alright...if you want to know more... I grew up in Beeston, Nr. Sandy, and at an early age showed an interest in everything horticultural and also enjoyed creat.. more..

Writing