'Garden Column - July 2009'

'Garden Column - July 2009'

A Chapter by Jason S Breed

 

Keep busy maintaining the garden.
 
 
The flower garden in July can become a very busy place.
Flowers and stems need staking and tying – either use good old fashioned bamboo cane or use one of the many new plant supports that are widely available.
Weeds will need to be removed as they appear as they can grow at a rapid rate and can soon spoil your displays.
As they rear their ugly heads remove them before they take hold. So hopefully your hoe won’t have time to gather dust in the shed.
If you are planting any new plants this month make sure that they are well watered before and after planting.
These plants will require plenty of care and attention. If you are planning to go away through the holiday period make sure that you have a friend or neighbour to continue with the watering.
If you do not it could be the ideal opportunity to invest in a self-watering system with a timer - this will allow you peace of mind whilst living it up home or abroad.
 
Keep it cool!
 
The greenhouse can soon become too hot to work in.
Take this as a sign that your greenhouse requires plenty of ventilation and shading.
Shading should be placed over the whole structure and vents should be left wide open to allow through drafts to circulate the air inside your structure.
If you feel your greenhouse still hasn’t enough ventilation then it may well be wise to invest in a lourve vent. These are best placed on the wall opposite the door.
Only shut doors and vents if the weather turns wild and windy or if the evening feels rather chilly for the time of year.
Damping down also should be increased to at least 3-4 times a day to help lower the temperature.
 
 
Feed tomatoes.
 
 
Outdoor tomatoes will need feeding as their fruit set.
Wait till the fourth truss has set then count two leaves above this then take out the growing tip of the plant.
This will allow all the goodness to enter into the fruit.
Keep applying water and liquid feed regularly and evenly throughout the growing period as the fruit develops - if not the fruit on the trusses will split or will slowly develop blossom end rot thus spoiling your crop only leaving it ideal for chutney or the compost bin!
 
 
Reclaim untidy hedges.
 
 
If you have inherited an untidy hedge then July is the ideal time to regain control.
The process can be slow and may take up to three to four seasons before the whole hedge is reshaped.
First of all cut the stems back on one side within a few centimetres. These stems will normally grow back at an accelerated rate the following spring.
Once the trimmed side has rejuvenated then prune the opposite side next year.
Then once both sides have been trimmed and tidied - reduce the height of the hedge if required.
Once you have trimmed - feed the hedge with Vitax Pelleted Conifer & Shrub Fertiliser and mulch well with Levington Water Saving Bark or Wessex Cocoa Shell to help suppress weed growth and retain moist through the coming months.
Various types of hedging can be rejuvenated this way i.e. Yew, Hawthorn, Poor-man’s Box, Privet and Beech.
If you are still unsure then contact us at the garden centre for more information.
 
 
Start feeding peppers and aubergines.
 
 
Capsicums and Egg plants now need to be fed regularly.
Feed every two weeks with a high potash feed like Scotts Tomorite or Doff Tomato Feed.
Also as the fruit develop (6-10 fruit per plant) remember to water often and evenly very similar to tomatoes.
If not they may end up with either splits or develop blossom-end rot.
 
 
Use your grass cuttings as mulch.
 
 
With the lawn area producing plenty of cuttings it can seem impossible on where to place as your green bin soon gets filled and your compost heap soon overflows.
Grass cuttings make superb mulching material for the vegetable plot especially around the base of runner beans.
These cuttings will help suppress weed growth and help to keep the soil moist and deter it from drying out.
Remember to water well before placing the grass cuttings around your crops for the best effect.
 
 
Sow Spring Cabbage.
 
 
Start sowing for your Spring Cabbage crop.
Make two sowings within 10-14 days of each other.
Pick a reliable variety like Offenham 2 – Flower of Spring.
Sow thinly into drills about 10-13mm deep and about 30cm apart. Once the seed has germinated thin out to 10cm between plants. Keep your crop well watered through this summer period and feed well with Vitax Vitafeed Soluble Fertiliser for Strong Leafy Growth to encourage the heads to mature.
 
 


© 2009 Jason S Breed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on June 22, 2009


Author

Jason S Breed
Jason S Breed

Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
I am ME...what more is there to say! Oh alright...if you want to know more... I grew up in Beeston, Nr. Sandy, and at an early age showed an interest in everything horticultural and also enjoyed creat.. more..

Writing