'Garden Column - March 2009'

'Garden Column - March 2009'

A Chapter by Jason S Breed

 

Create a wondrous canvass of perennial power.

 

The mad month of March is here.

It is a sign for most gardeners to reacquaint themselves with the area outside the back door and get out into the garden and to put all their new ideas into perspective.

One idea to consider is to create an herbaceous border.

There is a wide range of hardy perennial plants available and unlike bedding plants that can seem a waste of money, time and energy – herbaceous can give you colour all year long and also the plants after a few years in the garden can be lifted and split and replanted giving you an unending supply of plant material to create all sorts of creations and planting ideas.

Ideally herbaceous are planted best together in groups of odd numbers – ideally 3’s and 5’s.

Why odd numbers I hear you cry? Well the answer I was given many years ago was that nature is unpredictable, so plant in groups. The traditional way to plant herbaceous is within a border that is completely made up of herbaceous plants. If planted with care can you can have mountains of colour throughout the year though most gardener’s aim to gain the most dramatic effect in the summer months.

Before purchasing any plants check your literature and ensure that the plants which you wish to purchase will suit your garden and position.

Then look at your list and place them into their heights and work from the back to the front of the planting area you are creating. If you are creating an island bed then place the tallest/most dramatic in the centre and work your way outwards.

With you plant into blocks and groups to this will maximise affect. Also try and look at different foliage and fauna as some plants will also give you extra interest throughout the year with their leaf texture.

Hardy ferns and ornamental grasses can add extra interest when added to your areas as dot plants.

If you are struggling with room or only have a courtyard then why not turn your patio into an herbaceous haven of colour and architectural perspective.

With the patio as your stage you can create a wondrous herbaceous border which once you tire with one design; wipe the canvass clean and then reposition the plants and their containers into a new idea or scheme. 

Give young trees some support.

 

Newly planted trees should be secured with some support.

Trees stakes should be knocked into place. Though depending on the size and tree type can depend on what size stake and tie to purchase.

On containerised trees try and use a stake which is not going to impose on the beauty of the plant. Place the stake at a 45 degree angle away from the plant. Never place the stake through the root ball as this could cause irreparable damage to the root system.

Once the stake is in position - place the ties for securing the stem to the stake.

Prevent the tie slipping down the trunk and stake you should secure this with a felt tack.

Place rabbit and scratch guards into position and also as extra prevention apply some Vitax Fruit Tree Grease around the stem and stake to stop pests crawling up them.

Recently it has become common practice to place a shorter stake nearer to the base on the plant. This is said to strengthen the main stem though only use this method in sheltered areas and not in exposed windy districts.

 

Start sowing herbs.

 

If you wish to increase your stocks of herbs or are thinking of growing your own plants for a new herb bed then there is a wide variety of useful plants which have culinary and medicinal uses.

Nurturing herbs in the greenhouse makes a refreshing break away from all the bedding plants which most people are sowing and pricking out at the moment.

Sow your choices into seed trays and then place in the greenhouse. Some varieties may need some bottom heat to encourage germination.

Once the seedlings are large enough to handle - prick them out into pots. Grow them on then slowly harden them off ready for planting out.

 

Start sowing tomato seed for outdoor crops.

 

Start sowing seed for your outdoor tomato crop.

Sow thinly in trays in any seed or multi-purpose compost and then cover with a slight covering of compost.

As with the herbs you may find that a heated propagator may help with germination.

Once the seedlings have two seed leaves pot up into 9 cm pots and then grow on ready for planting out the end of May.

 

Start sowing new areas of lawn.

 

March is a usually the month to start sowing new areas of lawn.

Start first by levelling the area out and compact it down using a roller to ensure a flat and even surface.

Once this is done - rake the soil into a fine tilth.

When doing this, add some general purpose fertiliser like Vitax Growmore at the rate of about a handful per square metre.

Then apply your seed.

Choose a seed mixture which will be apt for your purpose.

There are several available – everything from grass that will take a hammering from children and pets marauding up and down it through to others that will give you a bowling green finish. If you hate mowing the lawn there are now some that will help reduce the amount of cutting needed through the lawn season.

Once sown lightly rake in and water. Keep irrigated if the weather is dry. Prick out weed seedlings as they germinate and once the grass has germinated allow it to get to 7.5cm in height before giving the lawn its first high cut.



© 2009 Jason S Breed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on February 26, 2009


Author

Jason S Breed
Jason S Breed

Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
I am ME...what more is there to say! Oh alright...if you want to know more... I grew up in Beeston, Nr. Sandy, and at an early age showed an interest in everything horticultural and also enjoyed creat.. more..

Writing