Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Loretta
"

Sophie and Tammy meet the President and VP of Delta Pi.

"

September 2, 2007

    Wow, I have a feeling I’ll be writing a lot now that I started college. I guess I’ll have a lot to say!
    Today I met the President and Vice President of Delta Pi. They definitely seemed to like me, especially after I mentioned who I was.
    Angela, the VP, seemed very sweet. Natalie was snotty, but I know I can handle girls like her. Tammy can’t though. Natalie was very rude to her. I felt so guilty because I didn’t do anything to stand up for her. But Tammy was being judgmental too. Besides, she seems strong enough to take care of herself, and she obviously didn’t care what kind of impression she made. Before we went, she said that sorority girls are trying to fit themselves into a stereotype.
    At first I was really insulted. But after we met Natalie, I got to thinking that Tammy might have a point. But it isn’t just sororities. I guess I’ve always been trying to fit the stereotype. My whole life, I’ve hidden the parts of me that don’t fit the “image”.
    But I really liked Angela, and she doesn’t seem to fit the “stereotype” of a sorority girl. She’s a very pretty petite Asian girl, with long, silky hair. Nicole is pretty too, but she fits the image to a T (tee?). I wonder what that even means. “To a T”. Sometimes we say things without even thinking about what they mean.
    Like today, when I was walking back to the room with Tammy, after we met Natalie and Angela (who asked us to call her Angie, so I think I will from now on). These kids waved to Tammy, and she asked me to take a minute to meet her friends.  So she introduced me, and one of them asked where we were coming from.
    Tammy gave me a funny side-glance, and told them we were at Greek St because I was interested in Delta Pi. Then one of the boys, a boy with very yellow green eyes and hair that looked like he hadn’t washed it in weeks, said “Those girls are so retarded.”
    I just think it’s sad that people have such a limited vocabulary that they are willing to use derogatory words. There are a million insulting words in the English language that are universal. They can apply to people of any race, religion, intelligence, or gender. Why would you need to risk hurting an innocent person’s feelings because you can’t take a moment to think of a different word?
    I don’t know if Tammy realized what he’d said or not, but she certainly got me the hell out of there fast enough. She just shrugged and said, “Whatever makes them happy.” and then “Well, peace out guys.” I told them it was nice meeting them, even though I really didn’t think so.



    “So, you two only just met yesterday?” Angie asks as she holds out her hand, toward the cream colored couch, inviting them to sit. It faces a beautiful marble fireplace.  The Delta Pi house feels like a modern Parthenon. Or an ancient Greek palace. A palace made only for the most divine goddesses – the Aphrodites of the world.
    Tammy is telling Angie about her first week on campus.  Angie is nodding and telling her about her memories of freshman year.  Sophie looks around the room, imagining her mother standing in the corner, or walking in the front door, or rushing down the stairs, carrying a bag full of schoolbooks. Or maybe striding gracefully down the stairs, in a glimmering red dress for winter formal which trails after her like a waterfall, her dark mahogany hair swept into an effortless updo, with stray curls framing her angel white face.
    “Angela, what are you doing?” a harsh Long Island accent thrusts Sophie back into reality.
    “Hey, Natalie! This is Tammy and Sophie,” Angie rises to her feet very quickly, “They are freshmen.”
    “So what? You decided to show them the house instead of helping everyone else prepare for the rush party tonight?”
    Angie’s smile doesn’t even quiver.
    “They wanted to check it out. I bet they’d like to come to the party.”  She motions to girls with her hand to stand up and face Natalie with her.  Natalie scrutinizes them both from head to toe.
    “Nice outfit,” she says to Tammy, “Did you pick that up at Salvation Army?”
    Tammy raises an eyebrow, “Is that meant to insult me? I’m not the one that spent hundreds of dollars on a t-shirt and jeans. In fact, it’s not mine. It’s an original by—“
    “I really like the outfit you’re wearing, Natalie,” Sophie interrupts, “I think I have similar jeans. Are they D&G?”
    Sophie catches a glimpse of Tammy rolling her eyes.
    “These jeans are custom-made,” Natalie says matter-of-factly, “But I like your outfit too. What’s your name again?”
    “Sophie Winters.”
    Natalie’s eyes widen, “As in Joanna Winters’ daughter?”
    Sophie grins, “Yeah!”
    “Wow! I had no idea you were starting this year. It’s a pleasure to meet you Sophie. Please tell your mom I said hi.”
    Sophie nods, “of course.”
    “Are you interested in Delta Pi?”
    “Very!”
    “I was hoping we could ask her and her friend to join our party tonight,” Angie cuts in.
    “Of course!” Natalie fumbles through her bag and pulls out a pink card – an invitation. “It’s a very exclusive party. The official rush party is this weekend, but this is for very special rushes only,” she beams at Sophie.  Her emerald eyes twinkle as they dart toward Tammy and back to Sophie, “So come alone.”
    Sophie takes the invitation and nods, “Thank you so much. I’ll be there.”
    Natalie nods and smiles very quickly.  Then she looks at Angie and says, “We have a lot of work to do.”  She hurries out, and the girls listen to her heels clicking around the other rooms for a moment.
    Then Angie clears her throat, “Well, that’s my cue to go help out. I’ll see you later Sophie,” she looks at Tammy sympathetically, “It was nice meeting you, Sweetie. I’ll see you around, okay?”
    Tammy smiles. “Sure.”  Angie walks to the front door and lets the girls out.
    “Bye!” she says cheerfully, before closing the door behind them gently.

September 3, 2007

    So, I think the party went well last night. I was nervous to go alone, but it worked out well. There were only two other freshmen there. One was really cool. Her name was Shania. She was this very tall girl, with lovely chocolate skin and short, curled hair.  She looks like a young Pearl Bailey.  The other girl’s name is Mikayla. She is really skinny and really tan. She wore a sparkly pink dress with a low V-neck, exposing her brown double D’s. When I saw her, I thought she’d definitely be “cool” in our hometown.
I tried to go fake-tanning once. It was before prom and I was hoping to look summery. But once I laid down in the tanning bed, I started to feel like I was in a coffin. Like I was a corpse awaiting cremation in my wooden coffin, but I was awake for it. I started to sweat, either from the oppressive heat, or from paranoia. I looked nice and summery for prom. But I decided I could deal with looking a little wintery from then on. Even if it was “cool” to be tan all year round.
    Natalie is like talking to the girls from home too. Her Long Island accent is like taking a bite into Grandma’s famous pumpkin pie.  A taste of home.  I swear, she and Mikayla and a lot of the other girls there could be straight out of Merrick, Long Island. But Natalie is from Plainview, and Mikayla is from somewhere in Connecticut. Shania is from New Jersey, like Tammy.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention it yesterday. Natalie says hi.
    Classes start tomorrow. Goodnight.


    “Sophie!” Natalie greets her joyfully, placing her cheek against Sophie’s and saying an accentuated “Mwah!”
    Sophie smiles, “Thanks for having me.”
    “Oh it’s nothing! I’m so glad you came,” she looks behind her, as if to check that Sophie obeyed her order to come alone, “Look, sorry if I came off a little rude to your friend. I hope I didn’t insult-“
    “It’s okay. I agreed with you,” Sophie says quickly, “about her outfit.”
    A smirk spreads across Natalie’s face, “Good, I’m glad,” she chuckles, “Let’s get you a drink, Sophie.”



© 2008 Loretta


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on November 24, 2008
Last Updated on November 25, 2008


Author

Loretta
Loretta

Long Island, NY



About
I'm a young college dropout who loves her job. I work with severely disabled children at United Cerebral Palsy. I also babysit for a few families. I've been a writer all my life, and recently decided .. more..

Writing
The Verdict The Verdict

A Poem by Loretta


The Piano The Piano

A Poem by Loretta


Subway Subway

A Poem by Loretta