Chapter 3: Bad News

Chapter 3: Bad News

A Chapter by Jeneeness

     Katara led the way back to the meeting hall and they took their seats. After a few moments of mingling, everyone was silenced and asked to stand. Zuko and Mai entered followed by Sokka. Suki felt a smile reach her lips until she realized their expressions. Sokka, Zuko, and Mai took positions at the end of the table.

     The firelord spoke. “Before we get this nations business underway, I want to say something, if I could have your attention. As you all know, riots emerged in order to bring Azula to power and overthrow me. Obviously, it didn’t work because... I’m still here. um.” He cleared his throat, “We lost men, and innocent people, but I would like to point out one brave man in particular and give him recognition.” Sokka looked down as Zuko continued, “Chief Hakoda of the Southern Water tribe, father of Master Ambassador Katara, and Warrior Sokka, was killed in one of the final riots, when they had escalated.”

     Jaws dropped all around the room, but none matched the raw despair that was in Katara’s eyes. “H-how could this happen?” She managed.

     No one seemed to have the heart to answer. Then Sokka replied, “Dad and I made all the battle plans but something went wrong and we had to change at the last minute and,” he looked up to meet Katara’s eyes, then turned to Suki. She could see directly into his eyes, all the swirling pain and guilt.

     As he turned back to Katara, Ty Lee whispered into Suki’s ear, “If you think his eyes are bad, be glad you can’t see his aura,” she said as tears began to flow, “it’s awful.”

“He led the ground troops and wasn’t covered good enough on a charge. He went too far ahead, and he... he was out-numbered.” Sokka continued.

     Katara locked eyes with Zuko, and the firelord spoke once more, “I understand if some of you need a few moments to regain yourself, a guard will call to you when we are ready to resume.” He said as he led a gesture with his hand towards the hall.

      Everyone dispersed into the halls, all except Zuko, Mai, Suki, Katara, and Sokka. Silence. Suki rose slowly and sat by Sokka. He raised his head and looked her in the eye briefly, “I. I’m sorry I haven’t written you any l-”

     “Sokka it’s ok.” She said and the brave warrior buried his face into her shoulder. Knowing Sokka, he had been holding this in and anything else. Zuko fidgeted uncomfortably and looked at Katara. They locked eyes as if having a conversation in their mind. Tears resumed to flow from Katara’s eyes and Zuko looked at Mai and looked down looking torn. This family. Broken once more. “Katara, come here.” Although she didn’t after a few moments, she sat in between Sokka and Suki and the warrior embraced them both.

     “All this crying is depressing.” said Mai in her usual monotone.

     “You’re depressing, Mai!” Katara snapped, “if you don’t like it, leave.”

     “You’re still the rude peasant you always were.” the noblewoman replied.

     The firelord interjected “Mai, I think you should go into the hall with the others.”

     She rose with a graceful manner. “Whatever,” she strode from the meeting hall.

     Once the door had shut, Zuko went to console Katara. There they all wallowed in loss, sadness, and emotion.

Time passed before their was a knock at the door, “My lord, the leaders want to know if you are ready to proceed.”

     Zuko replied, “We will be ready soon.” The guard withdrew himself and shut the grand door. “We need to keep up with the schedule as much as we can. I am truly sorry for your loss. Gather yourselves so we-"

“Yeah, yeah, just get off my sister and start the meeting.” Sokka interrupted.

The meeting commenced.



© 2011 Jeneeness


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on August 14, 2011
Last Updated on August 14, 2011


Author

Jeneeness
Jeneeness

Movin' Around, CA



About
I think it's time for a new bio: Ahem. I am 19. Short. Pierced. Tattooed. Shy. Outgoing. Inisughtful. Caring. I will help mostly anyone with their problems. I say mostly beause there has been maybe t.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Jeneeness