Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by J.E. Reed

“Some might call me a hero, but I’d say they don’t know me. Some might say this is a story that needs one, but I’d have to disagree. A hero is brave. They have the courage to stand up for what they believe in. They lead their followers away from the hardships of life and thus are idolized by them.

A hero? I wouldn’t even call myself brave. At least, not the person I used to be. Decisions lay at the foundation of our lives and we’ve been forced to make some tough ones, decisions that lost people I love, decisions that started this whole mess. Even though I wouldn’t call myself brave, that doesn’t stop those loyal from following me, immersed in every step I take. We’ve been pushed to the limits of our sanity, but we keep going, keep striving because home could just be another step away.

Magic, horrid beasts, and everything we’ve ever feared has crossed our path. We’ve become like animals. Survival of the fittest, but maybe the thing that separates us from the beasts is our willingness to sacrifice.

How far are they willing to go?

Some might take a single step, others would die defending what they hold dear. It’s like a fire, something unquenchable that you can’t quite explain. Not everyone has it. I’ve seen people run due to the crippling fear. Maybe that’s why they call me brave, because you can damn well bet I’d die for them.

Why were we brought here? I wish I knew. I may not have the courage or bravery to be called a hero, but I will stand and fight for those I love, and really, that’s all the bravery anyone ever needs.”



© 2017 J.E. Reed


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on March 25, 2017
Last Updated on March 25, 2017
Tags: magic, fire, survival, fantasy, science fiction, fiction, female, running, wolves, game, realm, castle, friends, friendship, hurt, anger, love


Author

J.E. Reed
J.E. Reed

Cincinnati, OH



About
~Author ~Book Lover ~Entrepreneur ~New experiences and meeting new people can open the doors of our greatest dreams more..

Writing