Chapter 2: Sanctuary

Chapter 2: Sanctuary

A Chapter by J.E. Reed

Sleep eluded her, every sound playing on her fears. Branches cracked, wolves howled and even the crickets’ song added to the haunting nightmare revolving in her mind.

Birds chirped at random intervals, her hopes rising at the prospect of dawn, but time and time again she was denied the morning rays. They mocked her, teasing with the idea. She longed for home, for the safety her blankets could provide, for strong arms wrapping her in a tight embrace.

Kiuno jolted awake, relief flooding through her with the sun finally creeping over the tree line. She climbed down, wary of her footing and stretched her stiff body, taking in the fresh morning air. She survived her first night, though hoped not to suffer through a second.

Walking to the river, she bent to splash water on her face. The cool liquid helping to soothe and wake her. She was hungry, tired and homesick. She hoped to cover more ground today, though it would be difficult to ignore the rumbling in her stomach.

As the day waned, her feet ached and exhaustion had started to take over. It’d been two days, two days without knowing her location, two days without food or people. How much longer would this last, would she last?

Fish broke the water’s surface, catching her eye. How could she catch them? She didn’t know how to make a pole, but perhaps a spear? Fire was necessary. Raw fish wouldn’t kill her, but neither did it sound appealing.

Walking deeper into the trees, she gathered a variety of twigs. Theoretically, she knew how to start a fire, she’d played around with it a bit in the past.

Setting her load next to the river, she was careful with the location, pushing shrubbery and loose branches to the side. Igniting the forest wouldn’t help her and she doubted she could survive the smoke, let alone the flames.

Kiuno found some cattail pods, opening them to reveal the fluffy white interior. It would make good kindling. She used her foot to hold one log steady, while inserting the end of a stick into a small notch and began twirling it between her palms.

Blisters formed and broke, making her hands sting, but after a few tries a small wisp of smoke rose from a tiny ember. She moved slowly, heart pounding and placed it into the fluff, breathing the small flame to life. It roared without much effort and night settled around her.

Sleeping on the ground made Kiuno nervous, but she hoped the flames would keep any wandering creatures at bay. She chipped away at the branch that would serve as her spear come morning. Her stomach churned painfully. She was exhausted, but morning promised food and the energy she needed to keep moving. If she could just hold onto that, she’d be alright.

Sleep was difficult, the worry that her fire might die waking her several times. A pack howled in the distance, making her search the shadows, but only a few times did she hear animals’ movement around her. Thankfully, she’d been right about the fire.

She was in waist high water at dawn, the need for food overcoming the fear of what could be lurking in the depths. After wading through the middle with no success, she crawled onto the bank, stalking the reeds until she came across her prey. This river was full of fish.

Holding the spear made her blisters burn, but she couldn’t afford another day without some substance. The lack in energy alone could cause her downfall.

Sneaking along the bank, she threw the spear for what seemed like the hundredth time, chasing after it to hold the thrashing creature in place. It struggled, but she managed to throw it on shore, breathing a sigh of relief. She wouldn’t be going hungry tonight.

Cleaning it was easy enough, she was no stranger to fishing and at this point didn’t care about much more than getting it in her stomach. Her clothes were soaked and she took off her shoes to let them dry by the fire, but she leaned back content. Bland fish was far better than an empty stomach and she was stuffed to the brim. Choosing to rest, she watched the world around her, enjoying the simple life some chose. Perhaps this wasn’t so bad.

Not once did a helicopter pass or smoke rise in the sky. She couldn’t help but wonder how long she might be stuck. Should she keep moving or stay in place to build a shelter? Was the river leading her further into the forest instead of out? What if they never found her, would she be able to sustain this kind of living? She curled beside the fire, a heavy heart pulling at her tears. Peaceful, yes, but this kind of life was also lonely.

Strange noise woke her that night and fear made her climb a nearby tree to be safe while the fire dwindled to red coals. She waited for sunrise to descend, hoping whatever was around had satisfied its curiosity. Her foot slipped from the branch and she fell, colliding with the hard ground and a root that hit the middle of her back. She gritted her teeth against the pain.

Tears sprung to her eyes, but she fought them back. Tears wouldn’t solve anything. She just had to keep going. She still questioned everything, but those questions weren’t going to be answered just yet, wondering wouldn’t get her closer to home.

She limped to the river, the sky a vibrant display of orange and pink whirling clouds. It reminded her that she was still alive, despite the circumstances. She needed to be thankful for that.

She ran her fingers over the stone. Someone had given it to her, someone had put her here, so someone knew. Why go through the trouble if this was it? She traced the etching, who knew this name was tied to her? Only a few and none cruel enough to do something like this. Was she being punished? For what?

Wrestling with different ideas, she fed the fire, caught another fish and smothered the flames before noon. It was time to move on.

She wrapped the reminder of the fish in a leaf and stuffed it in her pocket, coming across a patch of wild blackberries as she walked. At least she wasn’t going hungry anytime soon.

Kiuno kept a steady pace until the sun started to fall and finally collapsed against a tree. With sweat pouring down her face, she tried not to resent the heat, it was better than winter. That would have made things far more difficult.

Splashing water along her arms and face she looked downriver. It continued for miles, winding through the trees. It was a path she prayed would lead her home. Shielding her eyes, she looked up and her heart jumped.

Rising in the distance a thin wisp of smoke stood against the blue sky. Heart racing, she ran from the water, grabbed her spear and started a light jog through the trees. She was going home. Finally, no one would believe this.

Kiuno ran until the trees thinned to a meadow and paused feeling the cool breeze that raced through the tall grass. It was a pleasant relief from the oppressing air in the trees, though it did expose her more to the sun. Thorns grabbed her legs, but she ignored them, racing forward with the promise of home at the forefront of her mind.

The land dropped in a steep decline that led her through a muddy rut and climbed again on the other side. Her shoes were heavy and she tried her best to wipe them on the ground before climbing the hill.

At the top, she froze.

Standing at least twenty feet tall was a rounded stone wall, the smoke curling from within. From her position, she could see several rooftops within, but it was difficult to tell if people moved around. Only one entrance stood to the left, the gate swung open.

Overwhelmed, she sat down, staring in awe. She had to be overseas, there was nothing like that in the states, at least as far as she knew. It looked like something that would surround a medieval castle. Slowly, she slid down the hill, noting the loose stone that scattered along the ground, forgotten for many years. The wall was varying shades of grey, the hues giving some life to the grim structure overrun with weeds. It seemed like the meadow was trying to reclaim what rightfully belonged to it.

Her heart sped faster as she walked along the outskirts, running her fingers over the rough stone. Would those present even speak her language? She hesitated at the gate. Thick iron rusted bars crossed up to an angle, forming eerie, jagged spikes. It did nothing to ease her mind.

A light murmur led her inside. The sweet sound that promised she was no longer alone. Even if they didn’t speak her language, she prayed for some hospitality.

Inside, a dirt path lay in the middle of the small village, if it could be called that. Buildings stood at the center, their wooden structures looking ready to fall from rot. The grass overran in here as well, sprouting in every corner.

People were everywhere.

Some sat huddled in the grass while others used the building’s overhand as a means of protection from the sun. She took a breath, walking through, half expecting her arrival to be announced as if she were an intruder.

None moved.

A few looked up, acknowledging her existence, but they weren’t overly concerned with her presence. She didn’t understand. They almost seemed to shrink away, most refusing to make eye contact.

A third world community? No, they would be busy, running about to ensure their survival. These people... did nothing.

She examined each face, the same expression written on both young and old. Wide eyes shown with the fear of someone cornered, captured and at their wits end. Some cried, others stared into nothingness, almost like statues.

They looked no different either. She expected a different culture, a different dress, a different language. Many wore similar clothing to her own.

Her mind spun, nothing made sense.

In the center sat an old stone basin, the water that remained dirty and stale, though the few drinking from it didn’t seem to notice. They mindlessly made their way back to wherever they deemed the safest corner.

Finding her voice, she approached a man currently drinking, he only looked at her once, “Can you help me?”

“No,” the firmness in his tone made her take a step back.

“Um, I�"”

“We know, we woke up out there too and found this dump. No one knows why so go mind your own.” He walked away. We? As in, everyone?

She turned to face the gate, watching each person. Most simply stared. It didn’t take a genius to realize the man was right. They were lost, all of them thrown here with no explanation. She sighed in frustration. What now? Finding people was supposed to help solve her dilemma not complicate it further.

Kiuno took a seat in the grass, pulling the berries she’d collected from her pocket and popped one in her mouth. She couldn’t wrap her mind around what was happening or who these people were. Maybe she�"

“Where did you get that?” She turned to a few women watching her, or rather, the food she held. Hungry eyes told her she’d just made a mistake.

“I found�"” She was thrown forward, the fish ripped from her hands and face smashed into the ground. Someone held her down, while others screamed in front, feet trampling the grass around her.

A man yelled, others cried and finally she found freedom, scampering as far from the scuffle as she could manage. The taste of blood filled her mouth, her lip busted.

“She might have more.” A rough looking male aimed his anger to her. She held up her hands in a vain attempt to ward them off, but in seconds their hands were over her, digging through her pockets and ripping at her clothes before another man dragged her from under them by her shirt collar.

“Leave the girl alone,” he placed himself between them, his tone firm.

“How does she have food? We’re starving and she just walks in here like it’s no big deal. Maybe she’s at fault for all of this.” He tried to lunge forward again, but a young male punched him across the jaw, ensuing another fight that the older quickly put to rest.

They mumbled to one another, watching, hungry eyes trailing over her body as if she were still hiding something.

“Are you alright?” A hand reached down and she hesitated before taking it.

“I’m fine.” She wiped the blood from her mouth and walked around him, putting as much distance between herself and the crazy people who attacked her. Maybe she should just leave, but with nightfall, she didn’t have time to make a fire. It would be safer in the walls, or so she hoped.

Kiuno stomped the grass beside the far wall, contenting herself to staying there for the night. The greenery would provide some protection from their view, though most probably knew where she was. Were the people here incapable of gathering their own food? Her stomach growled and lip pulsated. She guessed not.

More fighting ensued with dusk and she was glad to be away, the cool wall helping to ease her throbbing head. It hit the ground harder than she thought. Moments later, another scream echoed through the night, but it died quickly. She shifted positions, glancing up at the night sky.

The view was breath-taking.

She’d never seen it so clear, the stars shimmering in their own wondrous glory. She watched them twinkle against the vast expanse, the milky way stretching across the dark void. Though only half full, the moon shown brighter than any she’d ever seen.

“Something else, isn’t it?” she started, looking down to find the male that helped her earlier. He was probably in his mid-forties, a bit younger than her father. He threw a bundle her way, “In case you need something to lie on.” A blanket?

“Aren’t there others who have more need for this?” She thought of the children from earlier. Despite her anger towards the adults, the kids shouldn’t be punished.

“There’s plenty of them, about the only thing plentiful in this place. Whoever was here must have decided that wool blankets were more important than food storage. Besides, you’re out here alone.”

“Can’t really blame me.”

“Don’t hold it against them.”

She huffed, “What’s their problem?”

“Hunger mostly, they haven’t eaten much in the week we’ve been here.”

“I’m guessing no one lives here.”

He shook his head, “Haven’t seen anyone new in a few days.” She let silence fill the gap between them. Anyone new. They’d all been here. Alone. Waiting.

He stomped the grass beside her, “What are you doing?” she asked.

“Would you rather someone search your pockets while you sleep?” she remembered their hungry eyes, still scrutinizing her.

“What’s to stop them?”

“I’m bringing in the little food they have.” Oh, someone they would listen to. Maybe that was why they stopped attacking her earlier.

“Thanks, for before.”

“Don’t worry about it, we’re all a little on edge.”

“Any guesses about what’s going on?” the grimness of his expression answered for him.

“Only thing we all have in common are the bracelets. Some aren’t even from America, so it’s hard to say. We keep the fire going, just in case someone’s looking, but nothing has come of it.”

“What’s your name?” She almost hoped he would answer but he shook his head again.

“We don’t know those either, just what’s on the bracelets.”

“I don’t understand, how is that possible?”

He just shrugged, unrolling the blanket and finally laid back.

“This isn’t what I expected,” she admitted.

“Me either, but we’ll figure it out. What’s your name?” She looked at him, wondering if he were joking, but she followed his glance to her wrist.

“Kiuno… I guess.”

“I’m Elliott, right now survival is key and you look like you need rest. Tomorrow is a new day.” His eyes fell on the void above as he folded his arms behind his head and laid back. She mimicked the action. Stars shot across the void, mesmerizing. Home was further than she imagined.


© 2017 J.E. Reed


Author's Note

J.E. Reed
Chapter 2

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on March 25, 2017
Last Updated on March 25, 2017
Tags: magic, fire, survival, fantasy, science fiction, fiction, female, running, wolves, game, realm, castle, friends, friendship, hurt, anger, love


Author

J.E. Reed
J.E. Reed

Cincinnati, OH



About
~Author ~Book Lover ~Entrepreneur ~New experiences and meeting new people can open the doors of our greatest dreams more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by J.E. Reed