Chapter 3: Survival

Chapter 3: Survival

A Chapter by J.E. Reed

Kiuno slept through the night, exhaustion taking precedence over any anxiety that lingered. Leaning against the cool stone, she watched the sun rise as the night sky faded and light brought life back to their world. The morning was bright again as the sun crept over the horizon displaying orange rays across a blue sky. It contradicted the atmosphere in every way.

She hugged her knees listening to the cries around her that stirred the empathy she lacked yesterday. Last night, she’d only held contempt for them, but now, she hurt with them. They were hungry, lost, scared of what was to come or what might not. What could she expect? It wasn’t as though they could pretend nothing were wrong when in fact everything had been turned upside down. She rested her chin against her knees thinking about her husband and family and what could possibly be running through their minds.

“Couldn’t sleep?” She cast a glance his way, but turned back to the gate, trying to will someone with answers to walk through and tell them everything was okay.

“I did.” He waited for her to elaborate, but silence stretched between them. She didn’t know what else he expected her to say.

He cleared his throat, “I’m going out with a few others this morning, you’re welcome to join us.”

“What for?” she asked.

“Food mostly, we can’t put it off anymore.”

She thought about it and eventually stood, wiping the dirt from her pants, “Sure, I’ll come.”

“Good, I’ve arranged for everyone to meet outside the gate. I’m sure some are already waiting. You’re welcome to join them, I’ll meet you there in a few minutes.”

She looked at the iron bars wondering what history they could have hidden beneath the rust, “Have you gone out before?”

“Not much, I wanted to watch for people coming through that might have some answers.”

She pointed, “From the direction I came, there’s a river just over that hill, it’s probably no more than a half mile out.”

His smile widened, “Good to know, finding water won’t be so hard then. I’ll see you other there in a minute.”

She nodded and rubbed her palms on her pants, taking a breath before walking towards the gate. Maybe she should have rolled up the blanket, but it wasn’t as if someone were going to run off with it.

Eyes followed her movement as she walked toward the gate and she tried to avoid looking at them. The same man from yesterday was among her admirers, glaring as if she were the reason for their troubles. Maybe she should have stayed with Elliott. She walked faster, hoping to avoid a repeat of yesterday’s scuffle. Her lip still throbbed and she could taste dry blood when she ran her tongue over the injury. It was swollen but not enough for her to care.

Outside, the familiar green meadow was a welcome site. The grasses expanded on all sides before ending against a row of trees that seemed to encircle the area in a protective embrace. Getting out of here wasn’t going to be easy no matter what route they took.

Several people were seated outside the gate. Some nodded while others waved and she responded with an awkward smile unsure if any had helped in her attack yesterday. Not willing to find out she leaned against the outside wall, leaving plenty of space to get a running start should she need to.

Sensing his gaze, she turned to the boy on her left. Midnight hair hung over savage eyes that tried to bore into her soul. His right cheek appeared bruised and she instantly knew she was the cause. Maybe he’d been the one who defended Elliott yesterday. She sighed to herself, making first good first impressions didn’t seem to be going so well.

Elliott arrived a short while later with four more in tow. Those seated stood to greet him, eager to get started. At least they had people willing to help, the more the merrier as her mother used to say.

His gaze shifted over the area, “Thank you for coming, I know we’re all still confused on what’s happening and have lots of questions, but our survival and the survival of everyone inside is going to depend on us. How long we’ll be here doesn’t matter, what matters is meeting the physical needs to ensure survival and we’re the only ones capable of doing so.”

“You mean the only ones willing.” They all turned to the young man against the wall opposite her. His position remained unchanged, however that cold glare had turned on Elliott. She looked away when he caught her staring.

Elliott smirked, “Yes, the only ones willing. At least for now. I know there aren’t many of us, but once we show them what can be done, they’ll be more willing to help.” The boy scoffed, but Elliott ignored him, “We’re going to split into teams. I’ll have a few setting snares and others scavenging,” he looked at the sky, “We should be able to meet back here by noon.”

Elliott continued, “Kikyo here,” he indicated the one still glaring, “has abundant experience in hunting and is an expert in setting traps and using a bow. We’ll both be teaching you these skills.”

Elliott pointed to a boy in his mid-teens, “Since you’re new, I’ll have you come with me today,” then his eyes fell on her and she knew his next words before they were uttered, “Kiuno, you’ll accompany Kikyo. I found a few knives in the storehouse that should be kept on you at all times, just in case. I want everyone to set as many snare as you can manage, teach your partners anything they don’t know and then we’ll meet back here.” She wondered if the others had hunting experience and if they’d been partnered previously. She was impressed. The way he was able to handle a near panicked crowd and plan a way for their survival without argument left her wondering if he had prior leadership experience.

Her partner, Kikyo, took the knife and string, but not before arguing, “I’m not fond of this arrangement,” Elliott didn’t appear surprised, “I’ll be able to train the boy more effectively, she should be�"”

“Excuse me?” she couldn’t bite her tongue and felt her face flush from being dismissed. He couldn’t still be angry about yesterday, it wasn’t her fault she’d been attacked.

“Look,” Kikyo started, “we need to use our time wisely. I’m not trying to be offensive, but he’ll be more equip to learn. We don’t have time to play babysitter to someone who has something to prove.” She’d never been more insulted in her life. She let her eyes trail him up and down. A lean boy no older than herself? Who did he think he was to judge anything?

“I’m more than capable of learning.”

“I beg to differ.”

“Try me then,” she challenged. His shifted his body, turning that icy gaze on her in an effort to intimidate. She wouldn’t falter this time, she wasn’t about to be demeaned by some boy.

Elliott laughed, “It seems things are settled.”

His gaze didn’t waver and he stormed off, throwing the second bow to her hands. She fumbled to catch it, making him shake his head and mutter beneath his breath. It was a small victory, but something she couldn’t relish in, not with a growling stomach.

As she followed, Kiuno wondered why Elliott chose to pair them together. If this Kikyo was so against teaching her, why force him? It wasn’t as if someone else couldn’t teach her the same thing.

The air shifted as they entered the forest. It took on a cooler feel, yet made the air denser at the same time. Trees closed in around them, making her aware of animals she’d previously deemed impossible to catch. With everyone working together, they’d be able to pull this off.

“I hope you learn fast.” She didn’t respond. Don’t say anything if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything, don’t say anything.

She let out a breath when he bent to pick up some sticks. Kikyo broke them into smaller pieces and started to explain what each would be used for. He led her to a sapling and went to work at the base, tying the twine to a stick then looping the other end at the top of the tree. Intrigued, she watched as he placed the other few on the ground and used his weight to bend the tree and balance the stick on a horizontal piece. Kiuno was sure it could never hold, but his careful precision proved her wrong. After looping the remaining part of the string, his handiwork was complete.

She studied the contraption before he gestured her deeper in the forest. Kikyo picked up another set of sticks, this time showing her exact length and how they were put in the ground. The middle piece served as the holding place and had just enough leverage to keep the tree still. Once an animal disturbed the stick, it would snap, wrapping the loop from the ground around a foot or body.

At the next one, it was her turn. He was awkward, shifting to avoid any contact, but he wasn’t as unpleasant as before. When she wasn’t certain, he instructed her where to move a piece so it would stick and helped bend the tree so she could place her first trap without it snapping in her face. Kiuno smiled when it held.

After monitoring two others, he let her set them on her own, the two moving down different paths. She thought she lost him a couple times, but he always managed to find her, as if he were reassuring her he wouldn’t leave. She had one snap up, barely missing her face, but afterward they went smooth. Time slipped by until the twine was gone, but he kept going and she followed, questioning in her mind. He seemed the type to get upset if she talked too much and determined footsteps clearly indicated he knew where he was going. Elliott said he had plenty of experience hunting which also meant getting lost shouldn’t be a problem.

“This should be good.” Kiuno glanced around confused until he brought the bow around his shoulder and let an arrow fly. It stuck in the center of a tree. She wasn’t even sure he’d aimed, “That’s only about ten yards. You won’t hit it at first, but we’ll get there.”

She felt her confidence crumble. Pulling the bow from her shoulder she took his arrow and prayed she’d be able to mimic the action. After all, how hard could it be?

She stood as he’d done and he came over to position her feet, kicking her shoes to push them apart. She looked at his arrow in the tree and notched her own, feeling powerful at having such a primal weapon in her hand. She could do this.

Kiuno pulled back hard, aimed and watched as the arrow flew off at an awkward angle landing several yards from its intended target. Her face flushed, the sting to her pride far worse than the sting in her arm. She tucked it close to her side, attempting to hide the pain. He was getting ready to criticize her, tell her she wasn’t worth his time, but he grabbed her wrist instead, wrapping a piece of leather around the welting area.

Kikyo repositioned her feet, put another arrow in her hand and pulled back with her, standing behind to ease the strain. Her arms shook as she tried to focus. He raised her elbow, pushed her right hand against her face and bent the front arm before letting her release a second time. The arrow still didn’t hit, but at least it was straighter than the first.

“Better, now again.” She took another, feeling a little more confident. Again, he moved her body and helped pull the arrow further back before she released. They continued this routine until her arms couldn’t handle the draw.

On their way back her arms were shaking, but her spirit soared. Kikyo had been of more help than she expected. He was actually pleasant to be around and she wondered why he’d acted out earlier. Maybe she’d judged him too soon and anger was simply how he was processing their circumstances.

She was glad Kikyo seemed to know the path back. The trees all appeared the same and if she would have been alone, there’d be no way she could have made it back. The meadow came into view a short while later and Elliott waved them over. It seemed they were the last to arrive.

“Finally, we thought you’d gotten lost,” Elliott looked between them.

“Sorry, we walked out further than I planned.” His apology to Elliott surprised her.

“Not to worry, I trust your student did well?” Elliott’s smirk made her wonder who she enjoyed torturing more. Her or Kikyo.

“She’ll do fine,” he replied unfazed.

“Glad to hear it,” he moved away from them to address the entire group, “I know we’ve been moving around a lot this morning, but there’s one more important task we have to see it. I’m sure you’ve all noticed the water basin inside and it’s running dangerously low. Thanks to Kiuno, I managed to find a river. The land flattens on the far side of the hill and it circles directly into that river.”

“How are we going to carry it?” she asked.

Elliott pointed to several large potteries leaned against the wall, “With those.”

“Something else you found?” Kikyo asked.

“They were behind the rest of the blankets, but those are it so it would be wise not to break them.”

“Convenient.” She caught Kikyo’s tone, and was sure they all wondered the same thing. Why did they seem to have exactly what they needed? It made things feel planned, something that brought them all a different level of discomfort. Though they would have liked to discuss the particulars of their situation, there was a job to be done.

She followed Kikyo, picking up a large pot and balanced it on one shoulder. After being in a forest for hours, she craved a cool drink. The stagnant poison within the walls wouldn’t be entering her body. There were too many other things that could end her life trapped in the wilderness and contaminated water certainly wasn’t going be one.

Kiuno’s shoulders already felt as though she’d pushed them too far and she knew by morning her entire body would be protesting, but this was something they couldn’t put off. No one would survive long without water.

The lot of them followed Elliott along the hillside where it tapered as they entered the tree line. She longed for the cool water and it felt like a long walk through gnarled roots and low hanging branches before a calm, evenly flowing river came into view. She wasn’t the only one who dropped her pot to the ground and ran to the edge, stomping aside thick greenery to take a few long relieving drinks. Kiuno splashed the cool water over her sticky skin, washing the sweat from her face before returning to carefully fill her container with water.

Without handles, this was going to prove difficult and she feared losing half before they made it back. It reminded her of a time in her childhood when she was told to carry a bucket half her size. She remembered her father laughing at how soaked her pants had been by the end of it.

It was awkward to carry and just as she’d predicted, her shirt was soaked before they made it back to the walls. Each walked inside single file and one would have thought they were bringing gold to those that’d never set eyes on such a precious metal. Many stood, rushing to lift their burden. Her arms shook and Kiuno took a moment to sit as she watched Elliott pour his into the basin first.

People gathered around him and she hoped they were more inclined to help. She smiled remembering his promise. They just needed to be shown all wasn’t lost. Though there was still a lot to be done, it felt as though they were closer to making it through this with each passing hour.

After the commotion died, Kikyo came over to help her up and they started back for another round. His hand was rough and calloused and it made her wonder what kind of life he lived back home. She couldn’t help but smile to herself, after only a day she was bonding with complete strangers.

After trudging through the heat for the fourth time the whole group collapsed on the river bank, each of them spent from the last hour or so of work. They tried to move quickly and had successfully filled the basin to the brim. This last trip would just be for a little extra.

A cool breeze ruffled the tree tops, grazing her skin as she rested next to the river, a sense of accomplishment filling her with joy. Kiuno watched the steady water float past, carrying with it the occasional leaf or twig. Fish broke the water’s surface and birds danced in the tree tops. With such peaceful surroundings, she silently wished for a canvas.

Her body suddenly went ridged as cold water splashed over her head. Kiuno jumped in surprise, spluttering as she turned to find her assailant laughing hysterically. She turned to Elliott, his warm eyes filled with mirth. He was quite pleased in his accomplishment and several others joined in his playful mockery.

Grinning, she moved away from the water, taking a seat by the others to bide her time. There was no doubt he’d be able to outrun her and he had size as an advantage, but she was no stranger to how boys played. She could wait.

Elliott eyed her for a time, but she eventually ignored him, appearing submerged in the conversation of her neighbor until he turned his back. Kiuno indicated for them to stay silent as she snuck up on him. She tried to keep her balance, but after shoving him forward she fell in after. It was deeper than she expected, but she broke the surface laughing, trying to swim outside his reach. Elliott came up coughing and splashed her, ensuing a contest the rest voluntarily joined.

Before long they were all swimming, carrying on as through they’d done so for many years. Even Kikyo could hide his laughter. It was their first chance to pretend the situation wasn’t something so serious. When she finally climbed onto the bank, Kiuno removed her shoes, pouring water from the inside and started to wring out her hair.

“Vengeful much?” Elliott asked, still laughing.

“I had to repay the favor,” she grinned.

Still laughing, he too removed his shoes before looking across the river again, “We still have some daylight, what do you say to some fishing?” Her stomach growled as a response and all agreed. It’d only been yesterday that she ate anything, but the rest had probably gone a lot longer without sustenance. It explained why they’d been so violent with her when she pulled the food from her bag.

Elliott gathered some large branches, ensuring the wood wasn’t rotted through before showing them how to make a fishing tool. His was quite different from the one she’d made and appeared far more effective. Instead of carving the end to a point, he used his knife to split the end horizontally and vertically, creating four points and sharpened each. This would serve to prevent the fish from escaping once impaled.

“They’ll gather by the bank under thicker brush and we’ll have to head more up steam due to the commotion we stirred. Split up along the edge and watch your shadow, I’m willing to bet we’ll get something big,” he winked at her.

He was right. In minutes, she heard a shout of victory, shortly followed by another. They wouldn’t be going hungry tonight. A little while later, each sat around a fire with full stomachs. Kiuno voiced her guilt at leaving the others without food, but Elliott assured them there would be plenty to pass around by tomorrow. She wasn’t sure how he managed his confidence, but decided to trust it.

“While we’re sitting here,” he started, “why don’t you tell us a bit about yourself Kiuno.” All eyes turned to her, making a blush rise to heat her cheeks. She wasn’t fond being the center of attention.

“I’m not really sure what to say,” she admitted.

Sensing her discomfort, he turned to Kikyo, “What about you?” Blue eyes met his, but he continued eating as though Elliott hadn’t spoken. He sighed, “You kids make it so difficult to have a simple conversation these days.” Kids? She looked around, realizing Elliott was indeed the oldest among them.

“Well, why not tell us about you?” she offered.

He sat back, rubbing his chin in thought, “Not much to say, I live a very boring life all things considered. I spent a few years in the military and have a daughter about your age, but I’ve been retired for a while. Spend most of my time in the basement modeling airplanes.”

She laughed, “Modeling doesn’t seem your style.”

He shrugged, “I needed something a bit slower in pace to occupy my time.” She tried to imagine it, this authority figure, sitting on a stool, wresting with a glue gun. It was quite entertaining, “So,” he continued, “your turn.”

“I don’t know,” she fumbled, “I like to paint.”

“Professional?”

She shook her head, “Not yet, I’ve had a few people interested, but it’s hard to let something go you’ve worked so hard on.”

“I understand, what tends to be your style?”

“Mostly landscape.”

He gestured to their surroundings, “When we get home, you’ll have plenty of inspiration for that.”

She smirked, “No kidding.”

Tired, yet refreshed the group made their way back into the village as the sun set behind them. Kiuno’s clothing was still damp, but the fire had dried it enough that it wasn’t heavy or uncomfortable. The only thing still soaked were her shoes, but she kept those off, opting to walk the woods barefoot.

Everyone welcomed them back and the last of the full pots were taken and set near the basin. Elliott carried what was left of the fish and they’d spotted a few black berry bushes along the way. People crowded around and for a moment she was afraid they would maul him as they’d done her, but he managed to hold them off, convincing the adults to let the children eat. Some were reluctant, but he promised them plenty of food tomorrow. Maybe when their stomachs were full, they’d have a clearer mind.

Kiuno made her way back to the wall, collapsing on the blanket, her body thoroughly spent. Her training with Kikyo would be put off a few days. He claimed her body had to acclimate to the usage of a bow otherwise injury could occur. Truthfully, she didn’t mind, she wasn’t even sure she’d be able to lift her arms come tomorrow.

“Hey.” Elliott slumped against the wall beside her, looking just as exhausted. Maybe he really did spend his time building little planes.

“Hey.” After spending the day with them, she felt more comfortable in his presence. His intentions were clear.

“It seems like Kikyo has warmed up to you.”

“He was surprisingly patient.”

“I figured he would be.”

She tilted her head curious, “What made you so sure?”

“Kikyo, like the rest of us, is stressed, for obvious reasons,” he added, “but that stress presents itself as aggression and if I’d have paired him with a male I wouldn’t doubt him doing something he’d regret. Therefore, I put him with the only female. I figured nothing more than verbal aggression would come from it and even then, he’d feel guilty and ease up.”

“He did calm down after a bit.”

“He’ll get better, already has. What we’re going through is nothing short of a disaster and people handle such extremes in their own way.” Kiuno wondered how others viewed her handling it. She didn’t really know what to think or how she ought to be dealing with it, only that certain things were necessary and had to get done.

“It looked like some others were interested in helping,” she commented, hoping he’d confirm.

Elliott nodded, “We’ll have enough to form a few more teams. Come morning, I’ll have everyone check their snares and send another group fishing. If all works out like I plan, we’ll be having an afternoon dinner.”

“That would be nice.”

“It’ll take down a lot of the violence. While we were gone, quite a few fights broke out. They’re scared and have every right to be.” He was silent for a few minutes before continuing, “One nice thing is that this area doesn’t appear to be hunted. Kikyo is going on a hunting trip in the morning. He’s confident in his ability to bring down one of the many deer we’ve seen.”

“That would be fantastic!” she exclaimed.

“I agree. Feeding these many people is going to be challenging at first, but we’ll get a routine going and before long the fear will vanish.”

All of her hope suddenly diminished, “You think we’ll be here that long?” Her gaze was drawn to the center fire. The same fire that let off the smoke she’d seen to get here. Surely someone would see it and come rescue them. They had to be looking by now.

He leaned forward, his face serious, “Honestly, I don’t know, we’ve already been here a week. Judging from experience I would say it’s safe to assume we’re on our own.” Those weren’t the words she wanted to hear.

“How are we going to get home?” she asked.

“After we’re organized, we’ll start sending small parties to navigate the area and hope they can find something. For now, our biggest concern is making sure everyone is able to survive until that point.” She leaned her head against the cool stone watching as the sun set. Getting everyone in a routine would take at least a week and then organizing and planning could take another. Kiuno sighed inwardly, at least this wasn’t an adventure she’d soon forget, it was the only optimistic thing she could think would come out of this.

“Also,” he started again, though with a bit more hesitation, “It might be unnecessary, but I’m going to teach anyone willing to learn how to defend themselves.”

Her heart jumped, “You think we have something to worry about?”

“Just call it a hunch. Chances are we’ll never have to use it, but with the uncertainty and peculiarity of the situation I’d rather us be prepared.”

Kiuno leaned her head back again, trying to calm her racing heart, “What about weapons, do we have anything other than the knives?”

“Not much, I’ve only found the knives and bows, but that’ll be plenty. There’s a lot one can do in close combat.”

“So, you plan on putting us through boot camp?”

Elliott laughed, “I’ll take it easy on you.” Somehow, she doubted that.

“When are you going to bring it up?”

“After the food situation is handled. We have shelter, clean water and a food source coming soon. That is enough to ensure we make it for a while.” He was right and him teaching would give the restless people a way to spend their time. She wasn’t sure what everyone would busy themselves doing, but maybe rebuilding a few of the broken-down houses wouldn’t be a bad start.

They’d been together the better part of the day, but Kiuno still couldn’t resist asking, “Did you happen to learn anything new today?”

He shook his head, much to her disappointment, “The only thing I noticed is that a few bracelets are different colors. Not sure if the information is relevant, but it might be worth noting.” Silence settled around them as she tried to take everything in. Nothing felt real anymore, almost like she was living in a dream. This was the kind of stuff that happened to other people, stuff she heard about on the news. Once they were home, that’s all it’d be, just another story and then everyone would forget.

“I’m glad you’re here to guide us Elliott.”

“Anyone could do it. People just need a little direction, it’s not hard to figure out the rest. I’m confident you or Kikyo would have stepped up were I absent.” Kiuno disagreed, she didn’t have the knowledge to do everything he planned, nor the authority to make people listen, that was probably his best asset.

“Be sure to get some sleep, we have another long day tomorrow.” She knew he was right, but her mind continued to churn, possibilities about their circumstances rising to the surface before reason would squash them into nothing. She glanced at him as he folded his arms back. He thought she could lead and she had at one time, but there was one problem. This wasn’t a silly game…



© 2017 J.E. Reed


Author's Note

J.E. Reed
Chapter 3: Updates can also be found on my FB author page.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on March 25, 2017
Last Updated on March 25, 2017
Tags: magic, fire, survival, fantasy, science fiction, fiction, female, running, wolves, game, realm, castle, friends, friendship, hurt, anger, love


Author

J.E. Reed
J.E. Reed

Cincinnati, OH



About
~Author ~Book Lover ~Entrepreneur ~New experiences and meeting new people can open the doors of our greatest dreams more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by J.E. Reed