Tickle Ninja and the Popcorn Tax

Tickle Ninja and the Popcorn Tax

A Chapter by Jesuspadawan
"

Micaela has popcorn almost every evening and when she does I tax the bowl.

"
"Tickle Ninja and the Popcorn Tax"

The microwave beeped signalling that Micaela's popcorn was ready. This was one of the sacred routines that must not be deviated from. A movie and popcorn always ended her day. There have been fun activities that were skipped because Micaela had to choose between the movie and popcorn or the event. 
The smell of popcorn filled the house as mom opened the bag and poured its contents into a large green plastic bowl with pictures of footballs all over it. "Micaela your popcorn is ready," called mom. Within seconds the sound of little running feet preceded Micaela bounding into the kitchen. "Here you go sweetie," said mom handing her the bowl. "Thank you," was the quick reply as she turned and headed back to the bedroom. "Two movies and popcorn. This is the best day ever," she exclaimed. Her smile fell as she came to a dead stop. She realized that to reach her home she would have to go through the Dark Woods. Tickle knew the aroma of the popcorn would attract bandits who are famous for their taxing of anyone who traveled through their territory. Their idea of taxing you was to steal you blind. She didn't have choice because the Dark Woods was the only way home. Slowly Tickle made her way deep into the woods, when suddenly a cloaked figure dropped from the trees and landed directly in her path. Before anything was said two more cloaked figures landed in front of her. They were smaller than the one in the center. 
"Taxes if you please," said the one on the right who was, by the sound of her voice female. Tickle stepped back and gave her reply, "If you want them then come and get them." The middle figured motioned for the other two to attack. They leapt into the air toward Tickle, but missed their target as she slipped between them. "Very good," said the leader. The two came at her. One attacked by swinging wildly while the other kept reaching for the bowl, but Tickle was able to block them both with ease. Jumping into the air she kicked them both into the chest sending them through the air and crashing to the ground. "Owwww,"they both moaned in defeat. Their hoods had slipped off revealing them to be twin sisters. They were blonde and too young to be fighting. The leader removed his hood as well and the family resemblance was unmistakable. "What kind of father teaches his daughters to attack and steal from others," Tickle asked. "The kind that wants that popcorn," he replied as two dogs came from behind him charging at her. She flipped backwards toward the safety of the trees. While in the air she pulled two large white spheres from her belt and threw them in front of the snarling beasts. As she landed on a branch they landed on the ground causing the dogs to stop in their tracks and begin sniffing these strange objects. They both gobbled them up and were soon chewing for all they were worth as these super thick peanut butter balls. 'That will keep them busy for a while,' she thought watching from her branch. 
"Really," said the dad looking at his dogs hopelessly trying to finish their unexpected treat. With unbelievable speed he leapt toward Tickle forcing her to move toward the end of the branch. He landed with ease. "You're not leaving this forest without paying my tax," he said with a grin. "Oh yes I-," she started to reply but was interrupted when he drew his sword and cut the branch. As she started to fall he reached out and snatched the bowl from her hands. A look of shock covered Tickle's face as she hit the ground with a thud. Dazed Tickle struggled to untangle herself from the thick branches. Finally getting to her feet she saw the father and twins leaning against a tree eating her popcorn. Anger filled her as she drew sword and charged them. Tickle was stopped short as the father held out her bowl. She looked at the bowl then to the family of bandits then to the bowl. "I...I don't understand," she said, "What are doing?" 
We've taxed you," he said, "the rest is yours." Tickle was even more confused. "Aren't you going to eat it all," she asked still holding her sword in the air. "Why would we do that," asked one of the twins. "Because you're bandits," Tickle replied. "Yeah but we're not mean," answered the other twin through a mouth full of popcorn. Putting her sword away Tickle reached out and took the bowl. In a flash the three strange thieves disappeared in the forest laughing.
Micaela looked at her sisters and dad eating small handfuls of popcorn they had taken from her bowl. "You need to get your own popcorn," said Micaela and ran into the bedroom. They just looked at each other and continued crunching on their taxed snack.


© 2013 Jesuspadawan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on September 2, 2013
Last Updated on September 2, 2013
Tags: ninja, autism