Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Joey Irwin
"

When Daryl confronts Eve he gets a lot more than what he bargined for. Felix has made a speedy recovery and the group get the letter they've been dreading.

"

We stood opposite each other and stared into our eyes like an old western movie.

‘Who were you talking to?’ I questioned. Her face dropped with guilt, she didn’t know that I was watching her from the window.

‘No one. Must have been your imagination.’ Her voice was patronising. I definitely didn’t imagine it.

‘No it wasn’t! I saw you stood at the gates talking to someone. Who was it?’

‘That’s none of your business’ she replied sharply.

‘Arc told us not to communicate with outsiders, you’re not an exception’. I was starting to get angry with her. With each sentence we stepped closer and closer towards each other.

‘My my, someone’s getting feisty’. I lunged towards her with venom in my eyes, she launched herself grabbing the dagger from within her robe. Forcing me to the wall she held me up by the front of my top holding the dagger against my throat.

‘Not quick enough that time little boy. Maybe you should learn to respect your elders’. She took the blade and sliced open my cheek before dropping me to the floor. She towered over me, blood dripping from her dagger into my hair as I held the cut tightly. Her moment was soon over when Arcturus sprinted down the corridor towards her. Her face showed shear panic as her father shouted and screamed at her.

‘GET AWAY FROM HIM! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!’ She quickly walked down the corridor before disappearing into blackness.

‘Daryl, Daryl. Are you okay?’ I peered up to Arcturus still holding my cheek.

‘I’m fine’ I replied.

‘What happened?

‘I confronted her. I saw her in the garden talking to someone, so I confronted her about it’ I wasn’t crying but my voice was shaking, I think it was the shock of her actually injuring me.

‘Was she now, right then’. He stood up tall and transformed showing his huge fangs to me for the first time.

‘I think Felix needs you right now’. He was obviously trying to get rid of me. I stood up quickly and ran back to Felix’s room and bolted the door. I sat by his bedside again stroking his hair once more before collapsing on the floor from exhaustion. I wrapped myself up in my coat and tried to sleep. Arcturus and Eve were arguing throughout the night until I finally managed to dose off.

 

I woke up the next day to birds singing outside. Their beautiful song that woke me up was nearly the song to send me back to sleep. A bright light was shining through the window, it was snowing and two robins were perched on the window ledge singing.

I rolled over expecting to end up on a cold patch of wooden flooring when I sunk into fabric. Silk sheets gently brushed against my semi-naked body and my head was sinking into the pillows. This must be Felix’s bed, I rolled over once more hoping to find Felix sleeping next to me, but he was gone. I darted out of bed and grabbed the first piece of clothing I could. Felix’s dressing gown was far too big for me. He was only a little taller than me but his dressing gown was huge. I ran around the house jumping from room to room trying to find him. I bounded down the stairs and burst into the kitchen.

‘Morning’ said Felix who was struggling to crack an egg into a frying pan.

‘I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Thought you’d ran off’ Out of breath I managed to string that sentence together.

‘I was making you some breakfast. I was going to bring it up to you in bed, but it doesn’t matter, you can eat here with me’. I felt awful, I ruined the surprise that he had been struggling to do. Felix said it in a happy manner but was pretending that it was alright.

‘Sorry, just with you being hurt I was worried.’

‘It’s alright’ he said smiling at me.

‘I thought it’s the least I could do for what you did for me last night.’ He paused while he poured some water in a glass for me.

‘Arc told me what you did. I can’t thank you enough.’ He planted a kiss on my forehead as he brought a plate with two fried eggs on it and another with some bread slices. I could tell now that he wasn’t the best cook in the world. We both looked at each other and laughed so hard that we couldn’t breathe.

‘Who put me in your bed?’ It was quite a bizarre question to ask among the laughter.

‘I did’ He said with a cheeky grin. He sat down at the table and began eating, taking tiny bites out of the bread slices. I couldn’t help but stare adoringly at him as he did.

We finished eating and I cleared up the table placing all of the crockery in the sink.

‘Oh, Arc said he wanted to see you in the lounge when you can, he needs to explain a few things’. It was about time someone explained what was going on.

‘Thank you for breakfast’ I said as I did a little jump to kiss him. I walked out of the kitchen towards the lounge, Felix’s dressing gown trailing behind me gathering dust. The glass had all disappeared which was odd but handy as I was bare foot.

Arcturus was sat in front of the roaring fire in a huge leather arm chair. I slowly walked over and sat in one exactly the same opposite. His face was worn out, he hadn’t fed in days, and last night’s performance must have exhausted him.

‘Ah Daryl, glad you came. How are you feeling?’ His voice was warm but lacking the energy he once had.

‘I’m ok thank you, still upset about my parents’

‘I understand. Vampire emotions can leave a man feeling unusual.’ I knew exactly what he meant when he said that. He continued explaining whilst he was watching the flames dance in the open fire.

‘Sorrow and grief are not feelings vampires have, hence why you won’t feel any other the death of your parents for which I am sorry for.’ The way he said it made it sound like he had killed them. I let him continue.

‘You’re a powerful vampire Daryl, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The freedom of vampires is in your hands. You MUST defeat Drayton!’ Arcturus coughed violently and slumped back into his chair. I waited until he settled himself before asking questions.

‘How do I defeat him?’

‘By giving him what he wants, something he has always wanted. The world’s most powerful vampire. You’. his words revolved around my head. How could I be the world’s most powerful vampire? I’ve only just become one.

‘You must hand yourself over to him, make him believe you are on his side. Then agree to a friendly fight, but kill him.’ Arcturus made sure I took in the last two words by emphasising them predominantly.

‘How do I kill a vampire when I already am one?’

‘Remember, silver bullets and stakes’ He coughed violently again. I sprinted over to his seat.

‘Arc! Arc!’

‘I’m alright, I’m alright’ He gestured me to back off using his hand. His voice was getting weaker. I fell back down into my seat when Tamsin materialised in a cloud of black smoke in front of the fire scaring both Arcturus and myself.

‘It’s a scroll from Drayton. He’s summoning Daryl to join him at the four orders’ She said in a worrying tone.

‘Then we must go to Bridgeview and make our way there. Arcturus tried to stand up and failed falling back into his armchair.

‘I’ll go and tell the others. You’d better go and pack’ She said looking at me.

‘What should I pack?’

‘Everything’.



© 2011 Joey Irwin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the visual image of Daryl running around in a huge dressing gown to find Felix. It really was adorably sweet and made me smile. I cant wait until Daryl confronts Drayton! Eagerly anticipating your next installment!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

332 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011
Tags: silver bullets and stakes, vampires


Author

Joey Irwin
Joey Irwin

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Freak Show Freak Show

A Chapter by Joey Irwin


Me Me

A Poem by Joey Irwin


Blood Blood

A Chapter by Joey Irwin