Part 1

Part 1

A Chapter by Lizzy
"

A young teen finds herself with difficult decisions to make when thrust into a new chapter within the slave trade.

"

A chain loop tightened into her throat, and a small choking sound passed through her lips before the collar was loosened just enough to be tolerable. After testing the chain in a manner of different ways, she learned that it would tighten and gag her should she try to strain against it.

Her master gripped her shoulder in a way that rivaled the chain around her neck, and marched her from their carriage through the marketplace. Although slaves were commonly seen here, gazes of surprise and covetousness burned into her back while gawks greeted her in the front. She was a fine specimen, and never allowed outside. Someone as rare as she must be treasured.

A small crowd gathered around a wooden stage in a clearing in the heart of the trading center. The young girl stumbled briefly as her master forcibly shoved her up the stairs to the platform. The two stood in the center of the stage, he basking in the attention and she drowning in it.

The auction began.

Shouts and calls of numbers roared through the air and beat into her sensitive ears. She found herself doing what she could to hide behind the great broad back of her master, only for the chain to jerk her into plain view of the assembly once again. In a vain attempt to tune out the thunderous voices, her gaze fell to the floorboards on which she was standing as her thoughts cast themselves elsewhere.

The anticipation within could barely be contained, although the many expressions of violence she had received from her master had taught her to hide her emotions well. Soon, she would be free from her current owner, but it would be because the arms of a new one would wrap themselves around her. Her opinion tossed and tumbled within, as indecisive and threatening as an incoming storm. She had never been a particularly hopeful individual, but on this unusual day, her hope overcame her fear. Should hope prevail, a new master would accept her, and treat her with the basic respect that every sentient being deserves.

The many offers her master had been receiving had begun to die down, until a long silence filled the air as much of the crowd shuffled away. She could feel her master tense with the word he was about to announce when a powerful voice rang through the air.

“Five hundred thousand units.” Sang the voice. The syllables meant nothing to the uneducated slave that stood on the stage, but everyone else gave a collective gasp, which hinted to her that what the man had said was of some importance.

“Sold.” Croaked her owner. “Sold!” The old master repeated with more clarity. Master and slave found a way back to the ground as the man who had bought her sifted his way through the thinning crowd.



© 2018 Lizzy


Author's Note

Lizzy
This is a story set during the industrial revolution, in a parallel third world. Magic exists along with science, and sentient animals walk among man. I feel confident about this part, Act I, and I have a solid foundation for Act III, but I'm struggling with the bridge between the two: Act II. I would love some constructive criticism and some recommendations of how to continue the story and overcome writer's block.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on November 25, 2018
Last Updated on November 25, 2018


Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Charlotte, NC



About
Hello there! I'm Lizzy, and I'm an entrepreneur and business owner. I've had a passion for writing fictitious stories for nine years and am constantly seeking to hone my capabilities. I'm glad to be a.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lizzy


Chapter 1, Part 1 Chapter 1, Part 1

A Chapter by Lizzy


Wysteria Wysteria

A Book by Lizzy