Chapter 5 - Breathe, Breathe, Swallow

Chapter 5 - Breathe, Breathe, Swallow

A Chapter by Kathryn

October 8th, 2031

Dear Charlie,

I will marry you without hesitation. You’re the greatest thing that could ever happen to me. I wouldn’t be able to live without you. I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you, too. This is really happening, isn’t it?

 

I wish there wasn’t so much distance. I feel like our lives are only happening on paper. I’m eager to be in your arms. I’m thirsty for tangibility. I want to see your smiling face and smell your cologne again.

 

I can’t wait to be your wife. I love you, Charlie.

Come home soon,

Jayne

 

 

 

November 5th, 2031

Dear Jayne,

I have some exciting news! Lt. Colonel Petterson called us all in today for a wonderful announcement. Things are beginning to slow down on our front. The Iraqis are pulling out their forces and moving north. Finally, things are going right.

 

Since there are enough soldiers on the front for the number of enemies, they are relieving us. What that means, Jayne, is that I’m coming home soon. I’ve been praying for this for so long. I need to be home more than anything else and it couldn’t have come at a better time.

 

This letter has to be brief because we are moving out tonight to make our way to another camp. From there we’ll be shipped back little by little. I’ll give you word as soon as I know more. It shouldn’t be too long now. I can’t wait to get home to you. I’m missing you so much. Let everyone know for me, okay?

 

Love,

Charlie

 

 

November 13th, 2031

Dear Charlie,

I’m so excited, Charlie! I’m not sure if this note will get to you as quickly since you are in transition, but know that all of Middleton sends their love- me especially. We’re already making plans for your arrival, and of course, the wedding now, too. I’m so thankful my prayers have been answered and you will be delivered home safe and soon.

 

Eddie put a flag outside the Blue Bird and he flies it everyday now. We’re all so proud of you and all you’ve done for your country. We need you more than the country does though, and having you home will put all of us at ease. Please be safe for the remainder of your time in the war.

 

You’re my hero. I’m so overjoyed I’m on the verge of tears. It’s been so long since I’ve seen you. I’ve almost forgotten what you look like. The biggest hug and sweetest kiss are awaiting your coming. Your fiancée awaits you!

 

I love you so much,

Jayne

* * *

November 27th, 2031

Dear Charlie,

I’m trying so hard to be patient. It’s been a while since I got a letter from you and I was just writing to make sure everything is on schedule. I know you are probably busy getting ready to come home and whatnot, but if you could just write to me, just a short note, letting me know if everything is going as planned.

 

I’m busy getting ready for your arrival. There are apparently so many things you have to think about before a wedding! This town is ridiculous. Middleton elected a welcoming committee at the last town meeting that will “assist me in welcoming you home.” Everyone is anxious to see you again. I’m missing you like crazy.

 

Please, just send a quick note telling me how things are going. What’s the progress?

I love you and can’t wait,

Jayne

 

 

December 2nd, 2031

Dear Charlie,

I’m not sure if something happened to my last letter or not. Too much time has passed without us talking. I miss us writing. It’s what kept me going. Can you find the time to write me, please? Nothing long or intimate, just scribble hello and whisper it while you write it and I will get the message. I’m trying so hard to wait patiently, but not hearing from you isn’t helping, Charlie. I’m angry you haven’t written to me in so long. Why won’t you write back?

 

I’m restless for you. I’ve been having a hard time sleeping. Just for my own peace of mind, I really need you to write to me. When you come, everything will be ready. When will you be home?

 

Write back soon,

Jayne

 

 

December 10th, 2031

Dear Charlie,

I’m really worried. There hasn’t been word from you in more than a month. That’s very unlike you. I hope nothing happened. Please, just write to me and let me know that you are okay. I’m sure if something bad happened though, that I would feel it. I haven’t felt anything.

 

I started praying again. This time it was for you. If your commanding officers can’t figure out a way to get you home quicker, than God will. I trust that you will come home safely; it is only a matter of time. Although, with all the plans being made, I could use you sooner rather than later. I need to know that you are alright. I’m sure you are. I just need to be re-assured. Write to me, please.

 

Passionately missing you,

Jayne

 

December 17th, 2031

Dear Charlie,

Charlie, I will die without you. I’m worrying about you daily. I think something might have happened. What’s wrong? Why don’t you write me? Please, Charlie, you have to be okay. There is nothing more important to me than you being unharmed. I hope if something is wrong, that you are just hurt. I know how to fix you and make you better when you are hurt. I don’t know how to bring you back, though. I need you to be back here with me, Charlie.

 

I need you so desperately. I know I sound like a little girl, but I haven’t been happy since your last letter. I need that piece of myself back. I get it every time you reply to my letters, and this time, it’s been too long.

 

Please, don’t let this be a one-sided conversation.

Impatiently yours,

Jayne



© 2009 Kathryn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The frustration of no news leave the heart to feel bad things had happen. The letters are desperate and needy for a word. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 31, 2009
Last Updated on April 1, 2009


Author

Kathryn
Kathryn

Chapel Hill, NC



About
Here lies pieces of who I am. As for all my poems and stories: read them, take them for what they are worth, comment on them, leave criticism... but above all else, let yourself enjoy it, relat.. more..

Writing
Sunrise Sunrise

A Poem by Kathryn