Chapter 27 Every rose has her thorns…

Chapter 27 Every rose has her thorns…

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 27

 

Every rose has her thorns…

 

 

Nothing prepared them for the sight they saw coming out of the tunnel. The once sunlit valley of Kokiri Village was engulfed in thorns and vines. Aerica set out toward the Duku Tree’s orchard that was located on the far side of the valley. The rest of them followed behind her, cautious.

Aerica paused and held up her hand for the others to stay still. She listened intently glancing slowly around them. Gerad held his breath waiting. They all gripped their weapons tighter. Meko landed on Gerad’s shoulder and watched Aerica.

She had made Meko stay close to Gerad instead of herself because of her transformation. He had been resistant at first but eventually did as he was told.

“They moved on, let’s go.” Aerica whispered as she started moving again, “Be careful not to cut yourselves, they will smell the blood and be onto us.”

“Easier said than done, the thorns are very thick.” Dahrin grunted, for as big as he was Dahrin maneuvered well in tight spaces. Aerica held up her hand again for them to be still.

Dahrin was halfway through an opening between thorn bushes being held up by his toes and fingertips. Lucius was balanced on one foot and Gerad was under a thorn bush. A spider started to crawl across Gerad’s face.

The discomfort of the moment dulled in comparison to the fear they felt as they all caught a glimpse of a transformed Kokiri. Both arms were like Aerica’s right but the thorns were more pronounced. The legs were the hind legs of a wolf. There were no eyes just sockets that roots snaked out of. Thorns twisted the flesh of the face that was ash grey.

The Kokiri sniffed and turned to face them, it snarled revealing a mouth full of fangs. Aerica gripped her bow, but with only one arm she couldn’t shoot any arrows. The Kokiri’s ears twitched but it snorted and moved on. Five more followed after it and Aerica waited till she couldn’t hear them anymore before motioning for them to continue.

Dahrin rolled through the opening slowly. Lucius put his other foot down and Gerad swatted the spider off of himself. They continued on avoiding the hunting parties finally the group made it to the entrance of the orchard.

“Now what?” Dahrin asked as a mist slowly seeped its way down the corridor to them.

“I don’t know what lies ahead of us, but be ready for anything.” Aerica replied unsheathing the blades of her bow. She started down the corridor with the others right behind her.

They made it down the corridor the mist completely covering the ground around them. Emerging into the Duku Tree’s orchard they were greeted with sunlight.

“Aerica, it is good to see you are well.” The Duku Tree sighed.

“Great Duku Tree!” Aerica cried as she ran to his trunk. He had deep slashes all over his trunk and some of his branches were completely cut off.

“What happened?” Aerica whispered.

“Charkosh.” The Tree whispered out.

Aerica’s blood froze, “No.”

“Who or what is Charkosh?” Gerad asked Meko. Meko watched Aerica in silent sadness.

“Charkosh, was a Kokiri a few years back, that had tried to kill Aerica, because he had been possessed by an evil spirit from the Forest Temple, named Krell. Aerica had sealed him away, but told everyone else that she had killed him.” Meko replied.

“Ganondorf must have released him. Great.” Lucius speculated.

“So what do we do now?” Dahrin asked.

“Is there a way to reverse the effects of whatever is happening to the Kokiri?” Lucius asked the Duku Tree.

“The only way is to kill the being that caused it. I warn you though, this transformation doesn’t affect just Kokiri, if you stay here too long you all will also be changed.” He responded.

“Well then, I guess we need to find the others as soon as possible and fix this mess.” Dahrin suggested sheathing his swords.

“Is there a way into the Lost Woods?” Lucius asked.

The Duku Tree turned its attention from Aerica to Lucius as he replied, “Yes, behind my trunk is a tunnel that will lead you straight to the Forest Temple.”

“Great, but is that where this all started?” Lucius asked.

“Even if it isn’t, it’s still the best place to start.” Dahrin replied.

“Then we shall start there.” Aerica said to nobody in particular. Gerad watched Aerica with worry. She seemed so ashamed.

“Why did you lie to us, Aerica?” The Tree asked sadly.

“If I had told you he was still alive, you would have ordered someone else to kill him. He doesn’t deserve to die for something he couldn’t control.” Aerica whispered hanging her head.

“And now thanks to your weakness, Krell has taken control of every other Kokiri. What will you do now, Forest Sage?” The Great Duku Tree asked coldly.

“I will set it right.” Aerica said standing up looking the Duku Tree in the eyes.

“Oh? You plan to kill me this time?” A voice asked from the entrance amused.

They whipped around weapons at the ready but vines shot out of the ground around them, wrapping around their bodies. Gerad slashed at the vines but more replaced the ones he managed to cut.

Aerica glared at the Skullkid as he sauntered up to her, she struggled against the vines but got nowhere. He lifted his mask, perching it on top of his head, as he smiled at her.

“Well, hello, Aerica.” Charkosh said pleasantly.

“Hi.” Aerica said back in a level tone of annoyance. Meko struggled against the vine wrapped around him and managed to get his left arm out of the hold.

“Aerica!” Meko cried as Aerica gasped in pain. More thorns sprouted from her face and her left arm began to transform like her right one.

“My dear Aerica, you were too soft. You could have prevented all of this, by killing Charkosh. But you couldn’t do it.” Charkosh whispered into her ear, “Now, I’m afraid I’ll kill you and everyone else for locking me away. No one will stop me.”

Aerica laughed coldly, “You are sadly mistaken. I will defeat you Krell.”

“You can’t defeat me, I am the forest!” Charkosh cried as the vines tightened.

“Yeah, and I’m the Forest Sage.” Aerica yelled back, her sage energy gathered and she took control of the vines making them release their holds.

“No!” Charkosh screamed as the vines came at him.

He took out his ocarina and began to play. More vines shot out of the ground and intercepted the ones that Aerica controlled.

Aerica sneered as she called forth more vines. Vines shot out of the ground and snaked into the valley from the walls heading for Charkosh.

Charkosh glared at her then threw a purple ball at the ground by his feet. Smoke erupted from the ball when it splattered. The vines that touched the smoke caught fire or dissolved.

The smoke headed towards them but Aerica called forth a wall of vines so dense the smoke dissipated before it reached them.

“This is far from over, Forest Sage. Mark my words, I will kill you and take my revenge, starting with your friends in the Lost Woods.” Charkosh’s voices threatened as it burst into evil laughter.

“Coward!” Aerica screamed as the vines sank back into the ground or wherever they were called from. She tipped sideways but Gerad caught her before she hit the ground.

“Hey, you alright?” Gerad asked her.

She sighed, “Yeah, just ran out of energy is all.”

“We need to go to the Temple, quickly.” Meko urged hovering next to Gerad’s shoulder.

“Yes, lets take the passage behind the Great Duku Tree.” Dahrin suggested. The others nodded in agreement.

“Wait, before you go, I must tell you the story of Krell.” The Duku Tree said.

“We don’t have the time for the full story, just give the highlights.” Aerica interjected before the Tree could continue.

“You youngsters are so impatient nowadays.” The Tree pouted.

“Duku Tree.” Aerica sighed losing her patience.

“Fine, the basics, Krell was a forest spirit some hundreds of years ago that got too uppity for his own britches and so the Forest Sage of the time sealed him away.”

“That seems to be the theme so far.” Gerad sighed, Dahrin chuckled in agreement.

“Well that may be but it’s still the story, anyways, before he was sealed away he swore vengeance on the Kokiri. A few years ago Charkosh and Aerica went to the Temple on a routine check, Charkosh somehow became possessed by Krell, Aerica was suppose to have killed him but only sealed him. Now, we assume, Ganondorf has set him loose to wreak havoc on everyone.” The Duku Tree concluded.

“No offense, Great Tree, but how does that help us?” Lucius asked.

“What do you mean?” The Duku Tree asked.

“It’s wonderful to know history, but unless you tell us his weakness or something, it’s useless. Do you have any idea how to beat this Krell?” Lucius asked.

The Duku Tree was silent, the group waited for him to answer. Some minutes later the Duku Tree took a great breath. They waited anxiously for his wise answer.

“You’re on your own with that one, kids.” The Tree answered.

“What kind of answer is that?!” Lucius cried.

Aerica exhaled in exasperation, “Just drop it Lucius. Let’s go.”

They went to the passage behind the Duku Tree and filed through, as Gerad passed the Tree he dropped a vine in his way to make Gerad stop.

“Hold a minute my friend.” The Tree whispered.

“Yes?” Gerad asked turning to the Tree. Meko sat on his shoulder looking from him to the Duku Tree.

“If I’m not mistaken, you are Link’s son?” The Tree asked.

“Yes, my father has told my sister and I the story of his adventures, how he used to live here and how he saved the Temple.” Gerad answered.

“Then, it would be safe to assume that you are now the new Hero. Take heed to my words Hero, not all enemies are flesh and blood. And not all choices are black or white.” The Duku Tree said ominously.

Gerad stared at him in confusion, “Thanks, I’ll be going now.”

“Have fun storming the temple.” The Duku Tree said smiling, “Use your pendant wisely.”

Gerad ran to catch up with everyone, “What did he mean Meko?”

Meko sighed, “Who knows, but just remember his words, they have a habit of making a dreadful amount of sense later, usually after you’ve made some horrible mistake.”

Gerad sighed, “Great, more advice to haunt me.”

 

“That brat!” Charkosh hissed as he landed on the branch of the tree in the courtyard of the Temple.

He glared at his hostages, ‘They won’t satisfy your lust for revenge, leave them as bait.’

“I did not ask you, go back into your hole and leave me be. I will take revenge my way.” Krell growled.

A shimmering apparatus in the form of Charkosh appeared next to him, ‘Why waste your time, that you only have so little of, with someone who has done nothing to warrant your wrath?’

“You’re saying, to leave them alone and save my energy for the Forest Sage?” Krell asked.

‘Yes.’ Charkosh answered.

Krell thought for a bit then smiled sadistically, “You’re brilliant! I’m so glad I took over your body, if it had been someone else we wouldn’t have lasted this long. Thanks. Now, to go prepare for our guests.”

The apparatus of Charkosh rolled his eyes as Krell took off into the Temple. He looked at the four forms wrapped in vines and floated down to one of them.

Meria watched him approach in silence. “What do you want?” Meria asked when he stopped next to her.

‘Long term? Or at this moment?’ Charkosh asked sarcastically.

“Let’s hear long term. I’ve got nowhere to go to, tell me your dastardly plans for the future.” Meria answered just as sarcastically.

Charkosk chuckled, ‘I, unfortunately, cannot tell you my plans. They’re a secret.

“Phooey, here I was hoping to be entertained by wild fantasies of world domination.” Meria smirked.

The phantom of Charkosh shrugged, ‘My apologies, but alas, I’m afraid I must leave you now.

“Bye.” Meria sighed settling herself to being bored again.

‘Oh, Miss?’ Charkosh said turning to face her again.

“Yeah?” Meria asked in an annoyed voice.

‘Could you not tell Aerica you saw me? I’d rather her think I’m dead.’ Charkosh asked sincerely.

Meria was taken aback, “Why would you care if she knew you were alive or not? You’re the bad guy aren’t you?”

Charkosh laughed, ‘Yes, that is what I want her to believe.’

He disappeared and left Meria more confused than she was before. Now she didn’t know what to do if Aerica showed up. Should she tell her or follow Charkosh’s wish and let her remain ignorant.

“Wonder what their relationship is.” Meria mused to herself.



© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014

Descendants 2nd Generation


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer