Chapter 42 Tempest of consequence…

Chapter 42 Tempest of consequence…

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 42

 

Tempest of consequence…

 

 

Selene watched the black clouds circle around Moon Isle as it loomed over Lon Lon Ranch. She couldn’t help but worry about the three of them as the lighting flashed across the sky. The rain poured as she sat on the porch of Meria’s home waiting. It seemed to her, that’s all she ever did.

“Here.” A deep voice came from over her shoulder accompanied by a cup of warm milk.

“Thanks Malcom.” Selene replied taking the cup but not drinking.

After a few minutes of silence Malcom cleared his throat, “They’ll be fine. Meria’s the toughest girl I know, and your brother seemed like he could handle himself.”

Selene smirked, “I know, but this is the part I hate the most.”

Malcom waited for her to continue as she took a sip of the milk, “Waiting.”

Nodding in understanding Malcom turned his gaze back to the sky but said nothing else. Selene was glad for the silence; she didn’t feel much like talking. Sighing she closed her eyes trying to let the rain drown out her thoughts and fears.

Opening her eyes she once again looked to the sky, “Please come back safe.”

 

“Gerad,” Meria said cautiously, “not to be pushy or anything, but could you please pull us up already?”

Gerad just groaned in response. Meria was currently staring down at the small square that was the roof of her house as she dangled above it hanging onto Gerad’s right leg. After their gutsy, if probably ill-advised, jump off the edge of the isle Gerad had used the medallion power to propel them against the side.

They had crashed onto what seemed like a balcony that promptly collapsed under their combined weight. Gerad had managed to grab onto a chunk of stone and Meria had grabbed onto him.  Meerlp had scampered up the two of them and was tugging on Gerad’s sleeve with his mouth.

“Can’t you fly?” Gerad suggested through gritted teeth.

“No,” Meria responded yelling over the rush of wind, “the wind is too strong here.”

“Wonderful.” Gerad started to pull himself up. Gerad managed to get his left leg up but just as he did the remainder of the balcony fell away from the isle.

Both of them screamed as they fell, Meria was desperately trying to gather wind around her but to no avail. Gerad watched the ground getting closer and closer the fear inside of him gripping his heart ever tighter. Something golden rushed past him and golden scales suddenly came into view.

Gerad and Meria both landed on Meerlp’s back, who had become a hundred times bigger. Gerad gripped Meerlp’s back feathers tight as the dragon flew through the storm around the island. The movement of the dragon’s flight was making him nauseous.

Meerlp flew to a cave in the side of the floating island. Abruptly he shrunk back to his normal size of two feet. The three of them flew a few feet through the air then landed on the stone floor skidding a few feet. Meria slowly got to her feet groaning. Gerad just stayed on the ground trying not to throw up. Happy with himself Meerlp sauntered up to Meria doing his odd purr.

“Good boy.” Meria said patting his head.

“Guess he can’t transform for long?” Gerad asked.

“I’m guessing not.” Meria answered.

Gerad just slowly nodded in agreement as he sat up cautiously. Once the world stopped spinning for him he surveyed their current location. It seemed to him that this was once a part of the original palace structure. Judging by the entrance to the cave this was a corridor that had been severed when the island had been made.

“Where are we?” Meria asked.

“Meerlp!” The little dragon supplied unhelpfully.

“I don’t know,” Gerad said groaning as he got to his feet, “but we need to find a way out of here.”

Meerlp’s ears pricked forward and he rushed off further into the corridor cave. Meria chased after him calling for him to come back. Gerad sighed as he shrugged and headed off after the two of them. He shuddered and turned around feeling eyes on his back.

He didn’t see anything from the light filtering through the cave entrance. Slightly put off by the feeling he followed after Meria and Meerlp once again. He pulled out the light globe Selene had made from the pack on his hip and illuminated it. As he left a shadow detached itself from the wall and followed after them.

Gerad caught up to Meria and Meerlp a few minutes later. The cave had been a straight shot and had slowly become more corridor like in appearance. Meerlp was currently munching on what Gerad though was a rat. Shaking his head he continued on past the happy little dragon down the corridor.

“Wonder where this leads.” Gerad mused out loud.

“Your guess is as good as mine.” Meria answered walking on Gerad’s left.

“Meerlp!” Meerlp said from Meria’s left.

Gerad chuckled, “Well at least one of us is having a good time.”

The corridor ended at a massive door similar to the one Meria had first encountered. Meerlp sat back on his haunches and looked up at Meria waiting for her to do something. Meria shrugged at the dragon and turned to Gerad.

“Here.” Gerad sighed handing the light to Meria.

Spitting into his hands Gerad rubbed them together and grasped both the giant gold rings of the door. He tensed his muscles and heaved on the door. After a few seconds the doors slowly swung open. Gerad stepped back in awe at the sight before him and Meria stared open mouthed.

“Woah.” Gerad whispered.

“Understatement.” Meria whispered back.

Before them mountains of gold and precious stones gleamed and glittered back at them in the light. They slowly walked into the treasure room and just like before torches sprung to life. Gerad shut the light ball off and put it away still awe struck at the overwhelming amount of wealth around him.

“I guess the fortune part of the legend was true.” Gerad said.

Meerlp picked up a gold coin in his paws and chewed on it. Meria watched as he scarfed it down then hiccupped.

“Ok.” Meria said pursing her lips and walking after Gerad who had moved ahead, “Now what?”

“Look for an exit.” Gerad suggested.

“Then what?” Meria countered, “How are we going to get off this island without a painful splat?”

“I don’t know, if he could transform longer we could just fly down.” Gerad sighed, “We’ll figure something out when the time comes.”

Meria said nothing and turned back to searching for an exit out of the treasure room. She was starting to feel slightly claustrophobic with the mountains of gold looming over her. Meerlp kept picking up pieces of gold and happily crunching on them.

“Meria!” She heard Gerad call her name and ran to where she thought it came from. She rounded a pile of gold and saw Gerad smile at her from in front of a door.

“Awesome.” Meria said, “But where does it go?”

“Dunno,” Gerad shrugged, “but it’s gotta go somewhere.”

Taking a deep breath he opened the door a crack and peered through. Seeing nothing he opened it the rest of the way. It was another corridor that led off into the darkness. Stepping through torches burst to life down the corridor illuminating it.

“That’s kind of creepy.” Gerad mused drawing his sword.

Meria nodded in agreement and followed after him. Meerlp picked up one more coin and chomped it down before he slithered after Meria. Once he caught up he waddled on his hind legs the swaying caused him to belch a small flame.

“Excuse you.” Meria laughed as Meerlp seem to blush.

“Hey,” Gerad said quietly, “what’s that?”

Something white was crumpled in the middle of the corridor. The trio slowly approached it. Gerad began to realize what it was and his heart sank to his stomach. Meria gasped and covered her mouth as she realized what it was as well. Gerad slowly walked around the hylien skeleton. The clothes from what Gerad could tell were from a period of about a hundred and fifty years ago.

“Guess that busts the theory of nobody ever making it here before.” Gerad mused.

“Yeah,” Meria agreed, “but the part about the returning seems to hold true.”

“Come on.” Gerad said softly as he walked past the skeleton.

“I wonder what the person died from.” Meria said glancing back at the skeleton.

“My guess would be hunger.” Gerad replied, “But not his own.”

The hallway came to an end at another door. Gerad opened the door a crack to peer through. Seeing nothing he opened it the rest of the way. On the other side of the door was a vast space and Meria realized it was similar to the one she had arrived in. The torches lit the room once more and revealed a difference. In the middle of the room was a large rectangular stone.

Upon further inspection it had writing all over the surface and different size gems of every color. Meria recognized one of the letters from the wall that had led them to the room under Lon Lon Ranch. She sighed in frustration because she didn’t have a clue of what it meant.

“Wonder what is says.” Gerad said.

“Probably ‘Push the emerald to get back home’.” Meria scoffed, “Don’t suppose you can read.”

Meerlp just cocked his head at her causing her to laugh, “Nah, didn’t think so.”

Meria leaned against the stone and watched Gerad walk the rest of the room. There weren’t any other doors than the one they had entered from. Meerlp hoped up onto the stone and stepped on a large garnet. Meria jumped away from the stone when it started to hum. Before either of them knew what was happening they were pushed to the ground by a gust of wind leaving them with the feeling of rushing upward.

The door they had entered from disappeared past the edge of the floor as it moved up the wall. More doors passed from the ceiling through the floor and the room still kept rising.

“Meerlp!” Meria cried, “What did you do?!”

“Meerlp!” Was the only reply.

Finally the room stopped and they were able to stand again. This time they had a multitude of doors to choose from. Gerad walked over to stand with Meria at the stone.

“Should we try pushing more gems?” Gerad asked skeptically.

“Well,” Meria replied slowly, “we might push one that makes us fall out the bottom of the island.”

“Well,” Gerad shrugged with a grin, “that’d be one way to get us back.”

Meria just shook her head at him unable to help herself grinning back. She was thankful that Gerad was here with her. She didn’t think she’d have lasted this long alone. Meerlp just watched the two of them waiting for them to do something.

“Alright.” Meria said turning her attention back to the gems, “Meerlp pushed this one and it brought us up.”

Gerad nodded as he looked at the large garnet Meria was pointing at, “So let’s try this one.”

He pushed the Saphire next to it and immediately the room started falling. Gerad and Meria grabbed onto the stone trying to keep from leaving the floor. Meerlp clung to the stone top by his claws making small gashes.

Finally the room stopped causing Gerad and Meria to fall to the ground. Slowly they both got back up and surveyed the room. It looked like the one they had been in a few minutes ago.

“Stay here.” Gerad told Meria as he walked to the single door.

Meria waited as he opened the door cautiously then went through it. A few seconds later he came back shutting the door behind him.

“Well?” Meria asked.

“Yeah,” Gerad nodded, “that’s the corridor we just came from.”

“Ok so we know that these two gems go to this floor and the one with all the doors.” Meria folded her arms as she looked back at the stone.

“Wait,” Gerad said walking back to the door, “before you push another.”

Meria watched as Gerad took out the small knife he kept in his boot and scratched an “X” on the door. Once he was done he walked back to her side.

“Good idea.” She told him as he stood beside her.

“They happen once in a while.” He replied smirking.

“Ready?” She asked with raised eyebrows.

“Push it.” Gerad said gripping the stone.

 

Calhan slowly stroked his goatee as he watched the pool of light in front of him. He was standing on the Lore Sage dais in the Chamber of Sages. In the pool of light he saw Gerad and Meria trying out the different gems on the transport stone. He knew they’d eventually figure out this piece of the puzzle.

“How’s their progress?” Faror asked over his shoulder.

“Fine.” He mumbled back.

“Has anybody died yet?” Din asked over his other shoulder.

“No.” He mumbled.

“Din!” Faror fussed, “Why would you even ask that? Do you want the boy to fail?”

Din shrugged, “It’d be an interesting twist.”

“I can’t believe you would even think that!” Faror scoffed.

“Well excuuuuuse me prin-“

“Shut up!” Calhan cried, “Sheesh, you two are worse than a couple of six year olds.”

The two goddesses managed to look slightly sheepish as Calhan turned his attention back to Gerad and Meria’s progress through the Wind Temple. Din looked at Faror who looked back at her and shrugged.

“You know what has to happen don’t you Lore Sage?” Nayru asked Calhan quietly.

Calhan sighed and rubbed his face, “Yes.”

“There is no changing this,” She continued, “It has to happen for the plan to succeed.”

Calhan glared at her, “Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

Nayru just returned his glare with an expressionless cold stare, “That is not a requirement.”

“Sister,” Faror asked, “are you sure there isn’t any other way?”

Nayru didn’t answer as she turned her cold eyes to the pool of light. The picture now was of Gerad and Meria walking down another corridor. Calhan sighed as he too returned his attention to his two friends.

“What’s going on?” Din asked conspiratorially of Faror.

Faror rolled her eyes, “Do you ever pay attention?”

“I do.” Din retorted, “I just forgot is all.”

“No wonder you’re not the goddess of wisdom.” Faror scoffed.

“Oh shut up.” Din growled.

A shiver went down both their spines and they turned to see Nayru starring at them. They laughed in embarrassment and went quiet watching the pool. Nayru returned her stare to the pool and the other two goddesses sighed in relief.

“But seriously,” Din turned to Faror, “what’s the deal?”

Faror sighed, “Once the Wind Sage gets to the Wind Temple.”

“Yeah?” Din asked.

“She can’t leave.” Faror answered.

 

Gerad lunged at the beast slashing at its exposed abdomen. The winged serpent hissed as it retreated from his blade. Meria had found a staff and was fighting another of the serpents. They had tried almost all of the gems on the stone and one had brought them in connection with a corridor that led to the throne room. The two of them were currently fighting their way back to the transport room.

Gerad killed the serpent he was fighting just before he got to the door. Meria knocked the other serpent out and followed after him. Thankfully the corridor was small enough that only two of the serpents could attack them at once.

Meria ran through the door and Gerad slammed it shut behind her. Still running, with Meelrp on her shoulder, she headed straight for the room controller. She frantically pushed a button as Gerad held the door closed with all his might.

The room moved down again causing Gerad who was holding the door to fly about ten feet into the air before he let it go. The room came to a halt again and Gerad slammed into the floor. Gerad groaned as he slowly got to his feet.

“You alright?” Meria called to him from where she sat next to the controller.

“Yeah I’ll live.” He answered walking over to her.

He stopped halfway and drew his sword turning around at the ready, “Who’s there?”

A shadow detached itself from a column and slithered across the floor towards Gerad. Meerlp hissed at it. Gerad watched cautiously as the shadow slowed when it neared his feet, before he could react though the shadow wrapped around his ankle and threw him to the side. The shadow made a beeline for Meria coming off the floor in an attack posture.

“Meria!” Gerad cried rolling to his feet when he hit the floor.

Meria rolled to the right dodging the shadow. The shadow hit the controller and veered after her. Scrambling to her feet she ducked a second attack by the shadow. Undeterred it twisted and came after her again. This time Gerad intercepted it with his shield jumping in between it and Meria.

The shadow hissed at him again and rose over him toward Meria. Gerad sliced over his head severing the shadow.  It shrieked and dissipated before it could hit Meria. The portion in front of Gerad backed up a few paces like it was reevaluating him. Meria stood ready behind Gerad watching the shadow weave back and forth. It shrunk back into a puddle after a few minutes. Meerlp continued to hiss at it.

Gerad still watched it wearily waiting for it to do something. He didn’t have to wait long; suddenly it shot itself in all directions that converged on Meria. Gerad managed to slash a few but couldn’t get them all. Meria screamed as the shadows covered her body.

“Meria!” Gerad cried reaching for her.

“Gerad, help me!” Meria called reaching for his out stretched hand.

Before he could grab her hand the shadow covered her completely cutting off her screams. Her shadowy outline sank through the floor. Gerad dove for her, shoving his arm through the shadow, he tried to grab something of her but felt nothing. The shadow was shrinking in size fast, Gerad grit his teeth and pulled his arm out at the last second before it closed.

“Meerlp!” The little dragon cried.

Gerad breathed heavily staring at the place on the floor where the shadow had been. Swallowing he hit the stone as hard as he could in rage. After screaming he felt the tears falling down his cheeks. Meerlp slithered over to him and put his head under Gerad’s right hand.

Gerad looked at Meelrp and pet him, “I don’t know what to do.”


© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014

Descendants 2nd Generation


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5