Her

Her

A Chapter by Kia
"

In this chapter, George and Charlie go to a cabaret and while there George is smitten by one of the girls on stage, but to his surprize, she's not exactly what he expected.

"

Ch.3

           

           

            They pulled up to next to the parking meter. Ahead of them was a small nightclub with a sign flashing Des Lore’. It was a place George hadn’t been before, and he noticed its petite size and the small amount of people that were walking in. He didn’t dread to go in, but being a man who had played in many different clubs (not to mention the clubs he imagined himself playing in after the Glenn Miller incident) he considered himself greater than such a place. Still, he was just glad to finally get off of that tiresome street, where Charlie was trying to sell his car, and take care of his entertainment needs. Charlie straightened out his suit and checked his breath. He cringed when he got a whiff of it noticing it reeked from the scent of cigarette, however, that didn’t prevent him from lighting another one before exiting the vehicle. George shook his head at Charlie’s folly actions and got out.

            “Say, you got a nickel to feed this thing?” Charlie asked looking at the parking meter and knowing he could usually get George to pay for any of his expenses.

            George flipped him a nickel and went on.

 

He entered the building and sat down at a small table in the center of the room just in time to witness the lights dim around the club and a navy blue light glare from the stage. The silhouette of a woman in a long coat appeared in front of the illuminating light walking closer to the audience like an alien leaving its ship in a science fiction movie. The audience leaned in curious of what they were seeing. No one could make clear of who she was or what was occurring. The only thing visible to them was the mysterious silhouette standing on the stage like a shadow in the moonlight and the intensity of everyone’s faces. A small light beamed down on the side of the silhouette so that you can hardly see the shiny streaks of her wavy, blonde hair and the red of her luring lips. The audience listened intently as she sung a slow tune in a soft soprano tone shaming the sound of a dove, and her blue eyes slowly opened up inviting everyone in.

Charlie came in rambling on about something that occurred outside, and George shushed him and continued to watch the show.

The woman’s song slowed to an end and there was a momentary pause as the navy blue light calmly began to fade away. Everyone was still. Speechless. Suddenly, the lights blasted on; vivid red and yellow, and she ripped opened her jacket revealing the red, lacy lingerie that she wore beneath it. The men howled as she shimmied on the stage fondling her thighs and parading her body around while more female dancers joined her. The whistling and rumbling was ear shattering. The men dribbled on themselves and lost control like childish fools. They clapped and cried shouting out nonsense words. They couldn’t resist the dancing females and the power they held over the masculine species. It’s a fact of human nature that men are simpletons when it comes to the opposite sex, and that night alone was living proof.

George looked her. He looked at her body. He looked at her lips. He looked at her curves, her breast, her thighs. He watched as her elegant legs moved across the stage and how delicately she could sway from one area to the other. With all of the roaring and the rampaging, he managed to tone out everything, every sound, every movement just to keep his concentration on her. And as he gazed upon the woman who gave him strong desires. The woman who kept his eyes wide opened, throughout her entire act, without a single blink. As he gaped endlessly at the only thing that could distract him from such a blaring environment, he made up his mind that he was going to win her before the night was through.

She took a rose out from the side of her garner and tossed it into the audience. It landed on George’s table and he picked it up and gawked at it the same way he did her. The women blew a kiss at the audience and minced off the stage. All of the men stood up applauding, whistling and shouting for encore while waving their hats through the air. The lights came back up and the curtains closed all while the men were still cheering.

“Man, I’d like to make whoopee to one of those sweet patooties!” Charlie blurted. He continued babbling on but his uttering became jibber to George as he fiddled with the rose in his fingers and visualized the ravishing shape of the woman’s body wavering and twirling in the tranquil depths of his imagination. Her body was like a shadow in the bare candle light he longed to reach out and touch. He saw her sea blue eyes appear before him, then the gold locks of her hair and the redness of her lips. Next her bare body formed in the vague atmosphere and she reached out for him calling his name in a ghostly whisper.

            George smiled, his eyes glimmering as he floated along with her into her enchanted world, but her divine whispering soon became the badgering sound of Charlie’s voice as he slowly seeped back into reality.

            “George, George? Did ya’ hear what I said?”

             Pestered by his sudden revival George sighed. “Shut up, Charlie! Just shut up!”

            Charlie flinched intrigued by George’s reaction.

            He tried to omit his response. “Did you see that dame up there? The one with the blonde hair, blue eyes, had great legs and a body like a goddess?!”

            Charlie nodded, now confused by George’s sudden change of temperament.

            “I’m gunna get that broad.”

            “I’d like to have that one too, George, but she probably won’t be easy to get. I mean, that dame’s a dancer. She can have any guy she wants.”

            “Yeah, but she aint never met me before.”

            Charlie Chuckled. “You can make a shot at it, George, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.”

            “She’s coming home with me or my name isn’t George David Bliss.”

            Charlie half smiled noticing George’s immodesty but not daring to bring it up. “Well, she’s probably leavin’ now. If ya’ wanna’ make a shot at her you better go get her.”

            “You’re right. I gotta’ catch up with her.” George jumped out of his seat and charged for the door.

            “Hey, who’s payin’ for all of this?” Charlie cried but George had already disappeared.

            He sprinted around the corner into a dusky narrow alley and on to a private door in the back of the club. The alley was barren and only lit up by the light that seeped in from the streets. George leaned up against the wall, arms crossed and head tilting down, waiting for the woman to exit through the door but the time seemed to aimlessly pass. Finally, the knob jiggled and the door opened. George popped out of his posture and smiled hoping it was the woman he’d been looking for, but instead it was a group of other women, who he considered to be less attractive, chuckling and gossiping with bags in there hand; probably the costumes they wore for the show. One of the women stopped and looked at George, “Is there someone you’re waiting on?” She asked.

            George smiled and sent them along telling them he had a sister in one of the acts. He didn’t want to admit his true intentions. The woman just shrugged and walked away with her friends. George leaned back up against the wall now growing restless from waiting.

The knob jiggled and the door opened again. George recognized the short, wavy blond hair, and gaiety built up inside of him forcing a jubilant, hello, from his mouth. Startled, the woman withdrew causing her to drop her bag and spill her accessories on the ground. She grumbled and sighed then bent down to pick everything up. George watched her, his desiring mind filling its cup. He pondered his introduction noticing that she was paying him no mind, but was more irked by the fact that he made her stumble, and she ignored his existence while stressing to put everything back in the bag. Relentless of this fact, he never considered helping her.

He smiled, the light of vanity gleaming inside of him. Then he popped his neck, chuckled and said, “Hi, how are you doing tonight? You looked awful pretty up there on that stage.”

The woman still hadn’t so much as peeked at George and she didn’t care to. She was more concerned about gathering her accessories from the ground and felt like George was only an irritating diversion.

“I know I probably shouldn’t be back here…”

“Probably shouldn’t,” she said almost as if she was speaking to herself but it was distinct that she wanted George to hear.

He chuckled, timid that his first encounter may have left a scarring impression. “…So, do you like working out here?”

“Puts money in my purse.”

“Where ya’ headed after this?”

She rolled her eyes tired of the distress, “Home. I guess.”

George noticed that the conversation was drowning, but his stubbornness overruled his ability to leave. “Where do ya’ live?”

“Why? Are ya’ interested in kidnappin’ me?”

He laughed aware that her remark was intended to be rude but trying to overlook it. “No, I’m only curious.”

“Well, Sir,” she finished putting everything back in the bag and stood up to dust herself off facing the opposite direction of George, “I don’t live around here.” She noticed a few more items on the ground, and after another vexed sigh, she reached down to pick them up.

“If ya’ live so far away, what are you doin’ down here?”

“I have a job out here, Mister. This is where I dance”

“Then how come you don’t find a place closer to home. I’m sure it must be tiresome havin’ to come out here all the time.”

She paused for a moment, then sighed finally unable to dominate her impatience, “What do ya’ want?!”

“Well, I was only wondering if the beautiful lady had any time to spare with a guy such as myself.” He took off his hat and held it to his chest but the woman still hadn’t turned to see him.

“Sir, I have guys ask me that all the time. What makes you so special?”

George became aware that she was not as simple as he anticipated, and maybe, for the first time in his life he was hesitant of what to say to the opposite sex. “Ya’ know, I’m a very nice guy once ya’ get to know me.”

She stood up all the way with a half- smirk pestered by George’s persistence. Finally, she turned around to look at him and her smile became whole. She quickly looked away not wanting him to think he had a sudden advantage. “Well, you are kinda’ cute.”

George’s doubts suddenly burst into relief as he smiled knowing his physical charm might have benefited him.

The woman pulled a box of cigarettes from her pocket.

“So, you got a name?”

“Oh, you mean you fella’s are actually lookin’ for a woman’s name now?” She took out a match and lit the cigarette. “It’s Judy. Judy Veil.”

“I’m George Bliss.”

“Bliss, huh? Well, tell me, George Bliss, are you a blissful guy?”

George chuckled. “What do you mean?”

“Well, your name’s Bliss. I figured, maybe, that meant you were a happy fella’”

“I guess some might say that about me.” George laughed but Judy wasn’t amused. She just stood there toneless with a cigarette between her lips causing George’s laugh to fade into a nervous chuckle.

She sighed. “So where are we headed?”

“Tonight?”

“Yeah, you got somethin’ ya’ gotta get to?”

“No, but it’s sudden, don’t ya’ think? And I just asked. Shouldn’t we set a date?”

“Well, you got no where to be and I got no where to be. We might as well go now and get this thing over with.”

George shrugged aware that getting to Judy’s passionate side was not going to be simple and going along with what she says would push him through much easier. “Well…I guess.”

“Good. Let’s take a walk.”

They stepped out of the alley and onto the sidewalk, Judy’s cold demeanor leaving George to linger behind her. George still kept an optimistic smile on his face, however. Though she ignored him, her nose pointing up in the air and her hips impudently twisting as she walked, it didn’t end George’s strong faith in winning her for the night, and her sassy characteristics had a way of luring him even more.

“Where are we going?” He called to her.

“Does there have to be a specific?”

George laughed, “What kind of a date are we going on?” Judy kept walking, and George ran up beside her. “Now, slow down or I’m gunna lose ya’.”

“Then maybe I should start runnin’.”

“Let’s just take this time to get to know each other, alright?” Judy looked away from George with the kind of if you insist smirk and George took her vulgar response as an enjoyable challenge. “So where are ya’ from? What do ya’ like to do?”

“I would like to keep my personal life private, if you don’t mind.”

“Well, it’s nothin’ personal, really. It’s just small talk to get a conversation goin’.”

Judy sighed.

“Alright, then why don’t I tell ya’ about me?” Vanity flamed in his smile, “ Well, I graduated from Princeton. I brought my team to victory when I played baseball in high school, and now days I’m in a band…I can play fourteen instruments, but my specialty’s the piano. And you’re not gunna believe this, the other day Glenn Miller asked if I would be able to play in his band for one of their performances. He also offered to use my song. Idn’t that great?”

“Thrilling.” Judy murmured with a lackluster tongue.

George responded with a friendly shove, “Aw, come on. Ya’ gotta be at least a little wowed about it.” His courteous smile only made her more perturbed.

“Look, I’m not interested in anything involving your life.”

“Then why don’t ya’ tell me about the things in your life?”

“I already told ya’. I wanna keep my personal life to myself.”

“Okay, okay. Just tryin’ to get to know ya’ better. That’s all.”

Judy rolled her eyes, and they walked silently for the next moment while George finally became empty of words.

 

They stopped on a bridge, and Judy leaned over its rail gaping boundlessly at the dusky waters that flowed beneath it. The river resembled the night sky, the lights of the city glaring off of its waves, like stars, as they drifted to and fro. George pasted his eyes on her ankles then slowly moved them through her fine physique then up to the solemn expression on her face. Doleful and lifeless, it was, and it was evident that her tribulations were no longer with George. It had reached to something much deeper. Something long before George’s arrival in her life, and the small glisten in the corner of her eye gave away that secret. The waves of the river reflected in her eyes as she gazed at the waters hoping that her despairs would sink into the river and wash away with its current into the tranquility of the sea where it would disappear forever.

George scratched his head pondering what to say and noticing her dejected posture. “Hey, what’s wrong?” He asked putting his arm around her.

She shrugged trying to get out of his grasp, “Get off me!”

“I just wanna know what’s wrong.”

“Yeah, well…it’s none of ya’ business.”

George looked at the water, then back at her and he repeated this ritual until he dug up the words to respond with. “I just don’t like to see someone as pretty as you feel down, that’s all.”

“And being pretty’s supposed to make it better.”

“What? Ya’ don’t like bein’ beautiful?”

“Have you any idea what it’s like for a woman that everyone thinks is so beautiful...?And why am I even askin’ you? You’re just another man.”

Her stubborn behavior finally began to irk him.“What is it that you have against men?!”

“It’s…it’s just everything, alright! Just leave it alone. Don’t worry about it.”

“I’m just tryin’ to help!”

“Well, you’ve helped enough. That’s just the thing with you guys. Ya’ think you can take a girl out, tell she’s pretty, and once you got her feelin’ special you break her heart.”

Aware that she was right in her statement, George felt that it would be somewhat hypocritical to lash back, so he calmly said, “Then I guess I’m sorry. Didn’t know ya’ didn’t like compliments.”

“You don’t know what it’s like bein’ me, sir.”

George was silent.“Then maybe you can let me in.”

“Why don’t ya’ just go, alright. I wanna be left alone.”

George sighed and scratched his head. “Well, I’m defiantly not gunna leave you alone.”

“And why not?!” Her voice shook as if she were crying.

“Because…if I do I’m gunna feel bad. I’m gunna worry about ya’.”

She paused. “Look…uh…George, you’re a nice guy, okay, but I don’t need your concern. I can take care of myself.”

The first thing George heard out of that statement was you’re a nice guy, for this raised his confidence, and then the rest of her words drained into his mind opening an opportunity for him to respond with just the right words to break her shield.

“I’m sorry,” he said with sympathy. “You’re right. It’s not my business to get involved with whatever you got goin’ on. It’s just in my nature to worry I guess.”

She hesitated. “You mean, you actually care?”

“Of course, I do. Why wouldn’t I?”

“Most men don’t care for a woman’s feelings as long as he can get a night with her in bed.”

A fearful ache grew inside of George knowing that a night with her in bed were his exact intentions. It was the honest truth that he didn’t like to see a woman feel unhappy, and he’d do anything he could to bring her back up to cheers. However, it was difficult for him to overrule the dictation of sexual desire.

“Well, I care for ya’ feelins’, Judy. I wanna see ya’ smile.”

And she cracked a partial smile that softened her tough shell, but it quickly faded back to a doleful expression. “Why are ya’ actin’ like this, George?  Hu? Is there somethin’ you’re expectin’ out of tonight?”

“Of course not,” he lied, “All’s I want is for you to be happy.”

“Happy…” she said to herself, “What I’d give to have that feelin’”

“Well, what is it that ya’ want.”

“What do I want? Well, I want what any woman wants. To meet a nice man

who’ll love her and care for her, ya’ know, someone to make her feel special. Get married, have a couple of kids and a nice home.”

“I’d think someone as beautiful as you would have a special man by now.”

“No not women like me. There’s only one thing men want from women of my kind, and then they move on to real women. The kind they fall in love with and turn into wives. Real love just aint in store for pretty, cabaret dancers such as myself.”

George flushed with guilt. He didn’t know how to respond, but he ached to console her. “Uh…look, Judy.…ya’ don’t need to be upset, alright. I know it doesn’t look like it, but you’re gunna run into the perfect fella’ someday, and he’s gunna see you for who you really are.”

She glared out into the open appearing to have ignored George, but each one of his words dissolved into her mind.

“You gunna be okay?” He felt stupid and like he was in the wrong place. He felt he wasn’t the right guy to be out there with her. It should’ve been someone who could love her and give her what she longed for.

“Look, I wanna thank you,” Judy said finally breaking through her bitterness.

“For what?” He was bemused.

“For not bein’ like those other men. You actually listen to what I have to say. I like that.”

 Though George felt a bit of remorse it didn’t stop a small dose of arrogance from pouring into his head. “Well, you know, everybody needs a special person in their life. Someone to help em’ up after they fall down. I’m glad I could be here for ya’”

Judy’s eyes gleamed as she gazed at George, his words embellishing in her mind. He was sincere in his words, though a large percent of what he said was solely to make himself look good. Regardless of where it came from, however, Judy took his remark passionately, but George saw her smile as a sign of friendship. He couldn’t see the amour in it; too blind to recognize a woman yielding her heart.

“You really mean that, don’t ya’ , George?” Hope flowed through her smile.

“I sure do.”Both perceived her question differently.

“Look, George, I know I-I probably shouldn’t be saying this,” she stuttered, “but I’m actually pretty glad I came out here with you tonight. And maybe this doesn’t have to be the last night…ya’ know. Um …m-maybe we can see each other again. Get to know each other a little better, hu? I like you”

George froze, dismayed, not expecting those to be Judy’s word. He lingered to reply unsure of what to think.

“Why are you just standin’ there?” She said with a smile, “You afraid of somethin’?”

He came out of his trance, “Uh…no…I just…You know, I’m kinda a busy fella’. I got a lot of stuff to take care of, with Glenn Miller and all…”

Still smiling, she moved over closer to George and passionately sank into his eyes, “It’s okay.”

George nervously chuckled. He was intimidated by another night with Judy knowing that his attraction to her was more physical than anything and feeling regret for making her believe that he was a unique character.

“I probably should be getting you home now….oh, wait, I don’t have a car.” He laughed remembering that he road to the cabaret with Charlie in his Austin Harley, “I guess we can go catch a cab.”

Judy chuckled. “That’s fine.”



© 2011 Kia


Author's Note

Kia
This is the 3rd chapter to "The House on Sterling Road". Pleaseleave a review and tell me what you think. (Please leave constructive critism and not rude comments)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think the dialog here is really strong. It's a very interesting story, and I like how you wrote it. I think you have improved upon your writing, and are doing a fantastic job. I didn't see any errors that need to be fixed. I don't have a suggestion on how to improve upon it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 22, 2011
Last Updated on February 22, 2011


Author

Kia
Kia

About
I've been writing poems for a very long time, most of my life, but anything that I write or have ever written has come purely from my heart. I've never written a poem just for the sake of writing a po.. more..

Writing
Scarlet Scarlet

A Poem by Kia


The Ugly Maiden The Ugly Maiden

A Story by Kia


He Is Beautiful He Is Beautiful

A Poem by Kia