The Lucky Quarter Chapter 2

The Lucky Quarter Chapter 2

A Chapter by Kip

Mrs. Hershfelder had finally made it up to the landing to her apartment (located down the stairs from my girlfriend), still valiantly struggling with her two bags of groceries.  Quickly taking into consideration the very narrow stairwell, I immediately realized the likelihood of my hitting Mrs. Hershfelder with the quarter based on my current point of aim was unacceptably high.  As Mrs. Hershfelder was already unlikely to be politely predisposed towards me for leaving her out in the rain, I had serious doubts about her ability to take a quarter hard off the chest philosophically.  In order to avoid the impending disaster, I desperately tried to change my point of aim at the last second to the ceiling above her head.

 

I remember my baseball coach, in a fit of pique over me walking three straight batters one inning, once angrily declaring "The safest place to be when you're pitching is wherever you're aiming!" I suppose a logical corollary to that statement is "The worst place to be when I'm throwing something is wherever I'm trying to avoid."  By raising my point of aim, I had successfully avoided hitting Mrs. Hershfelder in the chest, only to viciously bounce the quarter right off of her temple.

 

The next sequence of events happened like it was in slow motion.  Stunned by the quarter to the temple, Mrs. Hershfelder staggered backwards, coming dangerously close to the precipice of the first stair leading down from her stairwell landing.  In a last ditch effort to help, I frantically bounded down the stairs towards her three steps at a time.  Yet again, my almost mythical lack of physical coordination was working against me.  By my third downwards stride, I lost my balance, and started hurtling out of control down the stairway.

 

Mrs. Hershfelder regained her own composure to avoid falling down the stairs, only to have my sprawling body give her a shoulder check that would have made Bob Probert proud.  She was knocked off her feet into the air (I weigh 220 pounds on a good day), and thudded into the wall face first with her arms and legs spread wide.  In the process the grocery bags were dislodged violently from her grasp, sending cans of Campbell's Tomato soup everywhere, making a horrible racket in the process.

 

My momentum carried me down the second flight of stairs leading from Mrs. Hershfelder's apartment landing, and I arrived at the bottom of those stairs in a facedown heap.  I briefly heard the sound of someone tumbling down the stairs behind me, and distinctly heard the horrible crackling sound of bone breaking.  As I lay there prone on the ground something landed on top of me, knocking the air completely out of me.  Oh dear God, please don't let that be what I think it is! 

 

Mrs. Hershfelder's groan, coming from within a few inches of my ear, confirmed my worst fears.  How in the world could this get any worse?  As if to answer my silent query, I heard the sound of footsteps treading ominously down the stairs to the scene of the debacle. 

 

"JONATHAN JACOB – WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?!?"  I heard in the unmistakable sound of my girlfriend's normally dulcet voice.  Apparently Sharon had heard the veritable explosion of loud random noises coming from outside her apartment, and had reconsidered her decision to stay behind closed doors.  At that moment, I couldn't help but notice that my lucky quarter had landed heads up roughly a foot from my rather precarious predicament.  Worst damned Lucky Quarter EVER!

 

"John, you'd better have a good explanation for…" my girlfriend's voice trailed off into a stunned silence.  Ah, that pause can only mean she just rounded the corner to look down the second set of stairs.  Core meltdown in three… two… one…

 

 "OH MY GOD!"  Her voice must have gone up two full octaves in pitch.  Ah, there it is!  Then, with a note of deliberate calm, "Mrs. Hershfelder, are you alright?"  Oh crap, Sharon just went into nurse mode instead of losing it - Mrs. Hershfelder must look pretty bad.

 

Under normal circumstances, Mrs. Hershfelder has a grating nasal voice that can be heard from the neighboring apartment building.  On this occasion, her voice was barely more than a weak whisper in response:

 

"I… I… can't feel my legs!"

 

Immediately after speaking, I could feel Mrs. Hershfelder's body go completely limp.  My stomach dipped suddenly to the left and then attempted some sort of a barrel roll.

 

"It'll be alright," I attempted to calm myself.  "Sharon's a nurse; she'll take care of everything."

 

The next thing I knew I was looking into Sharon's adorable blue-green eyes.  She had dropped down to the ground to look me dead in the face.

 

"John, I don't have time to yell at you right now," She started in the almost patronizingly matter-of-fact voice of the professional nurse.  "Mrs. Hershfelder is unconscious on your back, and may have a spinal cord injury.  I'm going to run upstairs to call 911.  Listen to me very carefully, this is very important… UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you to move AT ALL!"

 

I had been dating Sharon long enough to know that when she used that tone of voice, there was no arguing with her.  Unfortunately, in the process of beating Tommy at Sega hockey, I had finished a 7-11 Super Big Gulp.  I don't know the size of the average bladder, but I'm pretty sure it pales in comparison to the sixty-four ounces of caffeine goodness that is the Super Big Gulp.  What's worse, Mrs. Hershfelder's weight was pushing the floor directly into my bladder.  The strain was already beginning to be unbearable.

 

"But Sharon…"  I began lamely.

 

Sharon cut me off before I could get out a second word.

 

"Damn it John, if you move you could paralyze her permanently!"

 

Properly chagrined, I decided that under the circumstance I would have to wet myself if worse came to worst.

 

While Sharon hurriedly made her way up the stairs back to her apartment to call 911, the cell-phone in my pocket began to happily beep-out a digitized version of the theme song to TV's 'The Jeffersons'.  As my right index finger was already touching the button to turn on the speaker-phone option through my corduroys, I decided to risk the small movement of pressing it on.

 

"John!" a tinny version of Tommy's excited voice began.

 

"Yes?"  I replied in a defeated tone, letting out a sigh in the process.

 

"Dude, John, you would not believe the day I'm having!"

 

"Oh really?" I replied sardonically. "Try me…"

 

 



© 2008 Kip


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An excellent first two chapters. In parts this was so funny I imagined Jim Carrey or Ben Stiller in a lead role of a movie. The blend of slapstick, observational, situationist humour blended with shameful male inadequacy and gut wrenching tragedy made this a pleasure to read. I can't wait to see where it's going next. Very well done, spence

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well written, the sequence of actions are very well expressed and provides the reader enough mental images to retain the attention. The balance between actions and thoughts, description and dialogue is also good. The only thing that catches my curiosity is the attitude of the girlfriend. She actually acts like a mother to the main character. But then she is a nurse, so that may explain the whole thing.......



Posted 14 Years Ago


Another marvelous chapter, well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Great. The story gets better and better. It seems that his 'lucky' quarter is about to give him the worst day of his life ever.
Do keep updating soon.
Read a humorous story after a long long time to enjoyed it quite a lot. Satire is something which I truly enjoy reading and the hero of your story does seem to have the tendency to be sarcastic

Posted 14 Years Ago


You write humour well, and capture the spirit of this person very well.
Well done. Keep writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An excellent first two chapters. In parts this was so funny I imagined Jim Carrey or Ben Stiller in a lead role of a movie. The blend of slapstick, observational, situationist humour blended with shameful male inadequacy and gut wrenching tragedy made this a pleasure to read. I can't wait to see where it's going next. Very well done, spence

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ive been waiting and waiting for the next chapter. When are you gonna post it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I laughed out loud picturing John with the old lady lying on his back. Then he answers the phone! What next? Don't leave me hanging.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love this lucky quarter. A story brought about by its mis fortune almost. Beautiful amazing. Cant wait for you to write more

Posted 14 Years Ago


How is that a lucky quarter, again? Seriously, it directly contributed to a woman becoming possibly paralysed. But then again, it also directly contriubted to a hilarious stroy. So I suppose it is lucky!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like the tension you brought if John were to move.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

713 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Kip
Kip

Ann Arbor, MI



About
102 Interesting Things About Me: 1) I flunked out my last year of high school. 2) I flunked out my fourth year of college. 3) I was an English/Political Science/no clue what I wanted to be major. .. more..

Writing
My First Senryu My First Senryu

A Poem by Kip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..