The Lucky Quarter Chapter 1

The Lucky Quarter Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kip

As much as I hate to say it, it was a dark and stormy night.  I've always hated that opening to a story; it's so overused it's now cliché.  What's worse, it's redundant.  Unless you live in the part of Norway or Alaska where 'day' can last for six months, dark at night is pretty much a given.  If you happen upon a 'bright and sunny night' in say, downtown Seattle, chances are you are heading for your local place of worship to prepare for the impending Apocalypse.  But I digress... let's just say the time was late evening, the weather was crappy, and I was very, very late.

 

Late is a relative term.  For some people being late means one second after the time they had promised to arrive.  I don't understand those people. To me late has always been a more dynamic concept, depending heavily on what you are suppose to be there for, how many minutes have passed since you were supposed to be there, who will notice your arrival, and how many of your stock excuses for being late said individuals have already heard.

 

In this particular case, I was supposed to be at my girlfriend's apartment for her birthday.  I was supposed to be there when she got off work at 8 p.m.; the time was 10:30.  At this point in our relationship, Sharon had heard every conceivable (and some inconceivable) excuse for my habitual tardiness.  I think by any definition, I had kissed ordinary run-of-the-mill late bye-bye about an hour ago.

 

The other thing I had kissed bye-bye an hour ago was my patience.  I definitely was not in the mood to get caught behind Mrs. Hershfelder at the entrance to my girlfriend's apartment complex.  Mrs. Hershfelder was a five-foot, eighty-pound lady who was somewhere in the neighborhood of two hundred years old.  Her floral print dresses hung very loosely off her bony frame, and she made the Walter Matthau character from 'Grumpy Old Men' seem like Mary Poppins by comparison.  The rain had made her current dress, a particularly gaudy pitch-black number with bright yellow flowers, stick awkwardly in places.  Coupled with the black plastic garbage bag she had draped over her head to protect her precious auburn-dyed hair from the rain, I got the vague impression of a flamboyantly-gay, midget Grim Reaper.  At that moment, she was carrying two separate oversized bags of groceries, one in each arm, while awkwardly trying to place her key in the lock to the door at the front of the apartment complex.

 

"Let me help you with your bags, Mrs. Hershfelder."  I offered as politely as I could manage, trying to take one bag from her arm.

 

"Keep your damn hands to yourself!"  Mrs. Hershfelder responded defiantly, shaking off my helping hand.  "I didn't need your help to raise 3 kids, and I certainly don't need your help to get in my own building."

 

As fate would have it, she next proceeded to drop her keys, now slippery from the rain, onto the ground in front of the door.  When she bent over to grab the keys, a gust of wind took hold of the garbage bag on her head and blew it directly into my face.  She made a few vain attempts at picking up the keys, still holding her groceries as if to prove a point. 

 

"For the love of God!" I muttered to myself, throwing off the plastic bag in disgust.  My small modicum of patience now exhausted, I unceremoniously grabbed her keys from the ground as she continued to fumble about.  In one deft motion I stepped in front of her, unlocked the door, and flippantly tossed her keys over my shoulder without looking.  I quickly opened the door partway, slid through the opening, and allowed the door to slam shut behind me, leaving Mrs. Hershfelder outside the building.  She didn't want any help...

 

As I bounded up the staircase to Sharon's apartment two steps at a time, I wracked my brain for a new excuse for being late.  I was pretty sure that beating my roommate Tommy in NHL 93 on Sega for the 15th straight game (my personal record) wouldn't fly very well.  Realistically, I had only one shot:  She was a nurse, and she was always getting stuck at work four or five hours past her scheduled shift.  With a little luck, she was caught up in the emergency room, and would never know how badly I had screwed up.

 

Reaching the top of the stairs, I pulled out my lucky quarter out of my jean pocket, gave it a kiss for luck, and screwed up my courage to knock on the door.  Good old lucky quarter - you've never failed me.

 

Midway between my first and second knock, the door briefly opened three inches.  I caught a quick glimpse of my very angry girlfriend, and then the door was vehemently slammed shut in my face.

 

"Wonderful…" I muttered ironically to myself, quickly turning around to whip my lucky quarter down the stairwell as hard as I could.

 

I believe I caught the first glimpse of what would soon change my life in the middle of my throwing motion, soon enough to realize what I was about to accidentally do, but too late to stop it…

 

 



© 2008 Kip


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is brilliant. I love a good sarcastic read. I normally do not read stories on here but the first paragraph kind of caught my attention, well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


that was truly interesting. and the end was perfect-enough to generate interest as to find out about what would happen next .
Great

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow. I thought I was a guy for a moment, a screwed guy. :D

Very effective way of putting things.

You have so much passion into writing this and with it, made it easy to read.

Very minimal and acceptable technical errors.

Keep up the good job. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



What can I say. Typical guy? Lol! At this point, he seems screwed.

This is pretty easy to read, but it would be made easier if you varied the lengths of your sentences more; the piece would flow better.

Also, while yes, you did include lots of humorous content, I personally found that you had a bit too much "waffle," especially at the beginning; the humor did seem somewhat forced, or at least not quite like what you had originally thought of it in your head. I'd say keep the personal, "waffly" comments a little more short and sweet.


Posted 14 Years Ago


I enjoy this - good cliffhanger - easy read, good write, decent vocabulary and light hearted, definitely worth the read! thanks!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Funny story great well defined character.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting beginning. Written wth precision i will be keeping a close eye on this story

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really excellent.
the way your character talks is awesome.
you use great description which produces awesome imagery.
Also it is hilarious.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this character's voice. So far the story is entertaining and it leaves me wanting to read more. I think you did a great job with this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

769 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Kip
Kip

Ann Arbor, MI



About
102 Interesting Things About Me: 1) I flunked out my last year of high school. 2) I flunked out my fourth year of college. 3) I was an English/Political Science/no clue what I wanted to be major. .. more..

Writing
My First Senryu My First Senryu

A Poem by Kip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..