Gurbal's Books

Gurbal's Books

A Story by Kane Hagwood
"

A short, 500-word story about a magical bookstore

"

All races love to read, and humans are no exception. Yes, self-centered as they may be, there is no hope for a curious mind against the pages of a worn, forgotten tome. Especially when these ancient texts hold pages upon pages of incantations; sigils and spells filled with well-guarded wonders. Although the books that lined the walls of Gurbal’s Books were aged, they were affordable to all those who walked into the world of books that was Gurbal’s store.


This is no exaggeration. Gurbal’s Books was literally a store in it’s own dimension.


Anyone with the capabilities to hop through time and space could certainly afford any of the books for sale. Gurbal, being the wise orc that he was, did not accept currency of any kind. Only trade. Trade, or perhaps a good story. Once, Gurbal offered a book to a kind stranger who handed him a snack. To good hearts the books went, and to good homes they would remain. These magic books Gurbal breathed life into had a tendency to show up when their owners needed them most.


Down the long aisles of his literary dimension Gurbal would go, often seen wearing a long robe of brown cotton. Like a monk in his monastery, Gurbal would greet those pursuing his wares. His orc-green skin only seemed to brighten his genuine smile, nodding along to customers as they expressed what they sought.


From the pages of these hand-crafted marvels of magic jumped bursts of arcane whimsy. Although the magic within the tomes was created to never bring harm to others, it often contained spells that brought wonder and awe. Many of the books circling the idea of evocation were best sellers, often with window shoppers testing out the spells, summoning forth all sorts of interesting creatures.


Children of the tourists visiting the store would often be drawn to the smaller tomes, with spine worn and bare. Reading the lines aloud proved easy for most children of any race, casting forth balls of light, or light gusts of winds that would jostle the books resting within the many rows. Laughter was often heard following these harmless expressions of magic.


No matter the condition of those who entered, all who left were well accounted for. With smiles and renewed hope, many of these fine visitors would gain a new perspective of life, holding the keys to success in their hands.


Many magic books moved along, with many more still resting on the polished, wooden shelves of Gurbal’s Books, awaiting their owners to arrive when the time was right. Some visitors would be surprised when Gurbal mentioned there was a book waiting for them upon their mysterious arrival. A few visitors didn’t even understand how they got to his dimension of books and happy magic. More often than not, these were the ones who had books waiting for them.


But no matter the means, whoever entered Gurbal’s store, they were welcomed with open arms and powerful magic.

© 2023 Kane Hagwood


Author's Note

Kane Hagwood
I tried to challenge myself by writing a story with only 500 words, while making it compelling enough to read. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's just wonderful Kane! (Sorry it took me so long to read it.) It's as enchanting as any Tolkien or Harry Potter novel. I like how it's purely descriptive. Of course, you are portraying something you love, but you never say it, in fact you never say "I" anything, and it's more powerful that way.

A tip of the hat,

Bob

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kane Hagwood

3 Months Ago

I've been feeling a little under a weather recently, so I haven't been online as much. I just saw yo.. read more
Schatz

3 Months Ago

I'm the one who has been incommunicado.



Reviews

It's just wonderful Kane! (Sorry it took me so long to read it.) It's as enchanting as any Tolkien or Harry Potter novel. I like how it's purely descriptive. Of course, you are portraying something you love, but you never say it, in fact you never say "I" anything, and it's more powerful that way.

A tip of the hat,

Bob

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kane Hagwood

3 Months Ago

I've been feeling a little under a weather recently, so I haven't been online as much. I just saw yo.. read more
Schatz

3 Months Ago

I'm the one who has been incommunicado.
Kane,

I’ve written a ton of these 500 word stories and it is imperative to start in media res, in the middle of things.

Why not begin this with a young reader desperately searching a book yet needing to keep his activity secret for some reason. Boom, you’re into the story and the setting can become part of the action. Mr. so and do who owned the store peered over the top of his glasses and in a voice much like fingernails scratching a blackboard said, ….

You get the idea. Show rather than tell.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

W. Barrett Munn

4 Months Ago

Sure. Keep in mind my prose history is stories for kids 9-13 ish where the Pov was always single fro.. read more
Kane Hagwood

4 Months Ago

Yet in a way, that perspective would probably fit the setting of this story even better, come to thi.. read more
W. Barrett Munn

4 Months Ago

It’s fun. If the protagonist doesn’t know it or see it neither does the reader. Think Harry Pott.. read more
Hints of The Never-ending Story and esoteric fantasy ; a bit of Stephen King's, "Needful Things" mixed with possibilities of witchcraft and sorcery rolled into a poem. What's not to love? I would like it better if the lines weren't so tightly packed together. It made it difficult to read but any text editor will allow you to set your line spacing. I've done it on here when I forgot in my original draft. I just had to space bar at the end of each individual line. I enjoyed the trip to the magical bookstore. Luckily I didn't buy the Grand Grimoire in there. That always brings as much trouble as the Necronomicon.

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

FGFRANKLIN

4 Months Ago

I don't know if you use MS Word or some other program but Libre Office has a free Writer Document fo.. read more
Kane Hagwood

4 Months Ago

That's really funny you mention that! I myself use Libre Office, and have had wonderful results with.. read more
FGFRANKLIN

4 Months Ago

I understand and relate. Word has not always been my friend either.
i would love to visit such a place. makes me wonder if there would be a book waiting for me.
{what book could it would possibly be.}

this was enchanting to read. i love the wordplay. the imagery is beautiful.
i felt as if the stage was being set for something to go wrong.
{and then the real adventure begins.}

like the calm before a storm.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kane Hagwood

5 Months Ago

Thanks for checking out my story. When I wrote it, I had a lot of fun with the story, even if it was.. read more
The idea presented in the work is very fun to play with as a writer or a casual reader. It reminds me of the Western mystical fairy tales I've read when I was but a toddler, those were most enjoyable and fun to read. Overall, a very fun work, author Kane Hagwood. I believe you had fun writing it.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kane Hagwood

5 Months Ago

Thank you for reviewing my story! I'm flattered to hear you enjoyed it. And yes, I certainly did enj.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 3, 2023
Last Updated on December 8, 2023
Tags: Magic, Books Store, Fantasy

Author

Kane Hagwood
Kane Hagwood

WA



About
My writing is for those who seek adventure, fun, and a good laugh from time to time. I enjoy connecting with other writers and am willing to take constructive criticism. At times, I succumb to the wei.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dear beloved Dear beloved

A Poem by grace


Saudade tides Saudade tides

A Poem by grace