Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Lady Grayish

Princess Ruby arrived at the palace on the same day that Phina came back to Tolerable. Sera just finished washing the last breakfast dish when she caught a glimpse of Phina’s shimmering blue dress out the window. Her heart dropped into her stomach, because Phina’s lessons would get in the way of seeing the princess's arrival. It wasn’t fair. Even Uncle Green planned to go to the palace gates to see the grand arrival of the foreign princess.


“Good morning, Sera!” Phina said cheerfully as she glided in the door. “It’s time to start your training. I’ve already found a good clearing to hold lessons.” A snap of her fingers and the dirty dishwater vanished, and the dishpan was smooth and clean.


Sera sighed and thought about stomping her feet and running off, but then remembered that Phina didn’t mind the fact that her name didn’t fit. Ignoring someone who accepted her, bad luck and all, just to go see a princess, didn’t seem very smart. Without a single word of complaint Sera folded the dish towel and followed Phina.


At least the fairy godmother was right about one thing. The clearing was a lovely place to hold lessons of any kind. It was a neat grassy space with enough sunlight to see well but enough tree cover that the summer heat wasn’t too bad. The stream was near, so Sera would have a chance to straighten up if she needed it, as she usually did.


The lesson was dull. Three hours of sitting on a fallen log listening to Phina tell her all the rules, followed by a list of reasons why fairy godmothers had to be secretive. Sera found it exceedingly boring, but listened closely all the same because of the nagging terror that not knowing the rules might lead to something terrible. Finally, when Sera’s temper threatened to explode, Phina declared that it was time for some practice, so they went to the village.


Tolerable was entirely empty when they arrived. Everyone had taken the day off to see the princess arrive. Sera grumbled, “I don’t see why I can’t take this one day off. Something interesting actually happens for once and I’m stuck with lessons. It’s not fair.”


“Life isn’t fair, and you will get to see the princess eventually. Royals make excellent test cases, and nice ones like her are the best for fairy goddaughters to practice with.”


Sera squealed, and asked, “You mean I’ll actually get to help make a happy ending for a princess?”


“Not quite yet,” Phina said sternly. “Right this minute, you’re practicing smaller works, remember?” When Sera sighed she added, “Why don’t you start by telling me what you remember?”


Sera sighed again, and began. “The fairy godmother’s task has five parts to it. First is ‘choosing a subject’ in which I look for someone kind and compassionate. Then I ‘locate the need,’ ‘look for options,’ and ‘begin the operation,’ which is followed by the ‘happy conclusion.’ In case of disaster I am to remain calm. And above all, I am to avoid the use of magic wherever possible.”


“That’s not exactly what I told you,” Phina said.


Frowning, Sera said, “But you’ve spent the past hour lecturing me on why not to use magic.”


“What I said was that in most situations, it’s better to do something yourself rather than use magic, which has a tendency to backfire when it’s used out of impatience rather than necessity. And anyways, the rule is not to be seen and thus show that a fairy godmother is manipulating the whole situation. Most people don’t take too kindly to being manipulated. In someplace empty like this it’s perfectly alright. Now, go choose someone to practice on, and I'll do the necessary magic.”


With a smile, Sera ran off. She already had a good idea who to help. The only question was what to do for the family so needy that it was their family name. When she poked her head into the Poor family’s house, she was struck by its emptiness. No extra cloak, little food in the cupboards, only one blanket for them all on cold nights. Her deed decided on, she returned to Phina.


“The Poors are a big family and they all need cloaks and coats. It’s so cold sometimes and they just don’t have anything. They’re very nice people and I can’t think of anyone who deserves our help more.” Sera realized she was rambling a bit and flushed. “There’s a mother, a father, a grandmother, two widowed aunts, and about nine children altogether, I think.”


Phina smiled at Sera. “Good choice. I believe we're due for some cold nights soon. Let’s see what I can do.”


Just as they reached the doorway there was a bright flash inside. Looking inside again, Sera expected to see the wonderful thick cloaks hanging from the wall pegs. But she was surprised to see three delicate lace shawls draped carefully over the lone chair. Giving Phina a curious look she walked up to them and touched them lightly.


“For some, a thing of beauty is more useful than something sturdier. These shawls will keep the mothers warmer than the thickest coat.” Phina blushed a bit, and said, “It's the kind of thing I would want if I had such a hard life.”


It was then that Sera realized how young Phina really was. Certainly younger than Sera’s mother had been when she died, and perhaps even younger than Green. “What's your family like?” Sera blurted out.


Phina looked startled at the question, and then a bit sad. “My mother died when I was young, but my father is the kindest man in the world and my sister is just like him. I haven’t been able to see them much since I became a fairy godmother. I was supposed to be on vacation, but your training is far more important.” She sighed and said, “Come on now. Let’s go see the princess.”


The whole way to the palace gate Sera felt a bit guilty for keeping Phina from her family but when she tried to apologize Phina simply said, “It was my choice to leave in the first place and become a fairy godmother, so don’t be sorry for my choice.”


When they arrived there was a large crowd around the palace gate. Villagers and nobles alike were eager to meet the princess and it showed in the wide smiles on each face. The laughter and merry chatter made an excited, cheerful rumble. After hopping around the back of the crowd Sera pushed and crawled her way to the edge of the road. Phina somehow stood waiting at the front, and Sera worked her way over.


“So, it looks like the princess is a bit late,” Sera said, wondering if Phina might be able to speed things up a bit.


Phina nodded. “About two hours late. Prince Kennard rode off a few minutes ago to see what’s happened. Be careful what you say: Mr. Beanwell is to your left and it’s best if he doesn’t find out about your being a fairy goddaughter, at least not yet.”


Sera looked around in alarm. Sure enough, Uncle Green was standing there patiently in the crowd, wearing his second best shirt. “How do you always know these things?” she asked, a little amazed.


Before Phina could answer, a trumpet sounded, and the princess’s procession began appearing around the bend. The waiting crowd gave a polite cheer and settled into a respectful silence until the lady herself would appear. Dozens of soldiers, on foot and on horseback, began to march solemnly past. Their bright green uniforms clashed with the dull grey of the palace guards they passed. There was another respectful cheer when Prince Kennard appeared, looking a bit red and irritated, his black hair sweaty and sticking up into funny shapes.


Finally the princess’s carriage appeared. It was a delicate, frilly kind of carriage painted pink and gold. Sera wondered what kind of a person would want to travel in such an impractical carriage. It couldn’t be comfortable to ride in for long distances. The crowd around her murmured in disappointment when they saw that lavender silk curtains blocked their view of Prince Ruby. The carriage rolled past, and Sera had turned to go when Phina suddenly grabbed her shoulder tightly.


“The princess wasn’t in the carriage. She’s disguised herself as a servant so she won't be noticed. She’ll be along with the baggage carts,” Phina whispered.


Sera stared at her. “How do you know that?” she asked.


Phina smiled. “I met her once at a wedding. She’s not the kind of person to simply sit in a carriage.”


With that she turned Sera to face down the road. It was still crowded and the day was getting uncomfortably warm. There was a lot of baggage, so most of the crowd was gone when Phina nudged her and pointed to a red-haired lady walking along beside a cart full of chickens.


“That’s her?” Sera whispered. “She’s so tall!”


Clearly a princess, even in a servant’s clothes, the young woman walked with poise and grace. But for all that, she still tripped over a loose stone and fell onto her knees. Sera was ready to help her up when Phina grabbed her arm again.


“Let’s see who helps her up,” she whispered. “It should give us an idea of how to proceed.”


It was a tall man in a worn brown shirt that helped Ruby to her feet. Sera’s heart stopped. They talked a moment quietly, unnoticed by most. Sera’s knees began to tremble. The man took the princess’s hand and kissed it, deep green eyes staring into Ruby’s brown ones. Sera almost fainted in dread.


Phina looked at the exchange thoughtfully. “Well, it should work. And we know he’s not attached to anyone. Congratulations, Sera. I do believe that’s your first major assignment right there.”


“But it’s Uncle Green!” Sera wailed loudly enough that the villagers near her looked over in concern.


Phina showed absolutely no sympathy for her apprentice. The two walked back to the Beanwell farm in silence, Sera sulking the whole way. It was mid-afternoon before they arrived at the edge of the farm fields. Sera was turning toward the house when Phina grabbed her shoulder firmly and turned her around.


“I expect to see you in the clearing tomorrow morning. There are quite a few things to learn before you’re ready to help your uncle.” Even though her face was pleasant enough Phina’s eyebrows were severe. Sera swallowed and nodded rapidly.


As she walked away, unhappy, Phina added, “Your uncle and Princess Ruby deserve a chance to fall in love. Just as much as any character in a story book.” When Sera turned back Phina had already gone.



© 2014 Lady Grayish


Author's Note

Lady Grayish
Plotwise, this chapter has a pretty big change in the middle. Does this work or should it be split into two chapters? I hesitate to do this because it's already pretty short.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on February 18, 2014
Last Updated on June 17, 2014


Author

Lady Grayish
Lady Grayish

About
I'm a writer hoping to get published, and that's pretty much what my life revolves around right now. Writing, writing, and more writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lady Grayish


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lady Grayish


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lady Grayish