Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Lady Grayish

When Sera arrived home wet Green raised an eyebrow but said nothing. By the time she had changed into a dry dress he had already set out dinner. Sitting down, Sera began to eat her food quickly. “Good day today,” Green said, a wide smile on his face.


Sera gave him a confused look. As far as she knew, it was an ordinary weeding day. “Why is it a good day?” she finally asked.


“Peas are harvested, got a new hoe yesterday, saw Rianne again.” He took a bite of broccoli.


“Who’s Rianne?” Sera asked, trying not to hop in her seat from excitement.


“One of the princess’s maids. Tripped during the procession. Seems like a nice woman. Smart and kind.”


Sera felt a twinge in her stomach. So it was actually the princess that Uncle Green was meeting. Gulping down her mouthful of vegetables, Sera tried her best to wrap her mind around what her uncle had just told her.

Somehow Ruby was sneaking out of the castle just to meet Green. If she was trying so hard to meet with him perhaps this wasn’t so bad after all. Sera felt her face turn red as she remembered her conversations with Phina. The rest of the meal was quiet, but it was just as well. Sera had to swallow her pride enough to ask Phina for help planning what to do next.


The next morning Sera arrived at the little clearing with her head still firmly attached, despite all the pride-swallowing and over-thinking. Phina was already there, sitting on a fallen log. Clearing her throat, Sera said, “Fine, you were right. It was the princess that he was meeting, and I spent all of last night trying to work out how to get them to fall in love.”


“I’m glad you’ve decided to help, because the princess is going to be attacked by three thieves today. Green has to be there to rescue her,” Phina said.


Sera winced. “There’s no way that will work! He has a fence to fix today so he won’t be going anywhere, not even to meet with her. He’d never risk letting the cows get out. Uncle Green doesn’t even know how to fight. And how do you know the princess will be attacked?” Sera’s voice became squeakier and squeakier with each sentence.


Phina gave her a stern look, gray eyes steely. “I’ve told you ways to distract people and to get them going where you want. Besides, if Green’s fixing a fence he ought to have some kind of sharp tool with him, so the fight won’t be a problem. And the princess’s maid told me Ruby is taking a walk today, so I hired the thieves.”


“Oh.”


“Once you get to Green you will have five minutes to get him to start walking in the direction of the palace,” Phina said.


“I’m not so good at that, Phina.” Sera gulped.


Phina folded her arms. “It’s part of the job. Get going.”


Sera ran for the farm as quickly as she could. Green had to rescue the princess, but he wasn’t the kind of person to just leave everything and go for a random walk. Unless someone he liked desperately needed help, Sera thought with a smile.


“Help, help, please, you have to help! Rianne’s being attacked by bandits on the palace road!” Sera yelled, slightly out of breathe from her run. She staggered to a stop and tried her best to look scared.


As she’d hoped, Green didn’t hesitate but grabbed a chunk of wood and ran for the woods, the fastest way to the palace. Sera followed as closely as she could manage, but it was difficult for her to keep up since Green was so much taller. Her clumsiness didn’t help much, either. Once she even had to stop to pick a thorn out of her foot, which hurt and slowed her down even more.


Still, she managed to keep her uncle in sight. As she stumbled onto the palace road, Sera's foot caught a rock and she fell headfirst into the nearest bandit, pushing him to the ground. Pushing herself away as quickly as possible Sera narrowly avoided landing on another bandit lying dazed on the ground. The other bandit stared wide-eyed at the ferocious farmer attacking him before deciding to run. The other two were quick to join him and they were soon specks in the distance.


Sera looked around for the princess and a place where she could act like she wasn't spying on her uncle. What she saw made her heart sink. Princess Ruby stood there, putting a fragile diamond tiara being put back in its proper place, her green satin dress only slightly mussed. Green stared at her, hands clenched into fists still and his eyes wide from surprise.


“I’m glad I was able to help you, my lady.” He sounded so formal it made Sera’s head hurt. Green would never let the romance continue now. Farmers from Tolerable did not take walks with princesses.


“Green, please wait. I didn’t mean for you to find out this way.” Ruby pleaded beautifully, Sera noticed. She also noticed Green’s stiffened jaw and severe posture.


“When was I supposed to know? After you married the prince?” Green’s tone was harsh and broken. “The king could have my head for this talk alone.”


Ruby began to cry. “I didn’t, that is, well, I value your friendship. I didn’t want you to think differently of me. I like you. You’re the kindest person I’ve met in this whole kingdom.”


Green hesitated, some of the stiffness leaving him. He started to put an arm out to comfort her but before he touched her he backed up abruptly and said, “Good day, my lady.”


Sera dove behind a tree as Green stalked past. She saw the pained look on Ruby’s face in the moment before the princess composed herself. Slumping against the tree, Sera sighed. She told a passing bird, “This fairy godmother business is much more complicated than I was told.”


She began to trudge wearily back to the farm, but had an idea and changed direction to the palace. Her mother’s bedtimes stories rang in her ears. If she could get in the palace, perhaps there was a chance of fixing this mess somehow.



© 2014 Lady Grayish


Author's Note

Lady Grayish
How's the continuity in this chapter? Is the timing jerky or does it work? Is the double reversal too much or does it keep the story moving?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on March 11, 2014
Last Updated on July 8, 2014


Author

Lady Grayish
Lady Grayish

About
I'm a writer hoping to get published, and that's pretty much what my life revolves around right now. Writing, writing, and more writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lady Grayish


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Lady Grayish


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Lady Grayish