Common Ground

Common Ground

A Chapter by Lady Miyako-san of the West

"Kagome-chan!" her secretary Hojo, entered her office.

"Yes?" Kagome looked at the human before her. Their ancestors had been in love and he was always hoping that it would happen to them. But Kagome was one of the most prestegious doctors in Japan and she didn't have time to be 'in love'. Besides, her falling in love with anyone, let alone a human, was impossible. She only had her work to think about....her work, and her child. Yes, she was kind to all that she knew, but loving Hojo was q
ite improbable, not to mention impossible.

"Lady Rin has fallen ill and requires and audience with you." Hojo spoke too quickly and stumbled over some of his words. Kagome was always telling him to slow his speaking.

"Arigato for the news. You may leave now."

"Are you sure you don't need anyone to comfort you?"

"Iie, I am fine. Now leave." Kagome ordered the young man to leave her office at once. He was always annoying her, trying to get them together in some way, form, or fashion. It wasn't going to work, but the baka kept on trying. Hojo unwillingly left the room, allowing Kagome to think in peace. 'Young Rin. I have cared for her family since I can remember. Her great-great grandmother was first, leading down the line to her. They have all had different personalities, but I have come to enjoy Rin's the best because of her true pure heart, not saying that her mother didn't have one, Rin's is just a lot more pure than her mother's. If she passes, I shall truly experiece sadness.' Kagome stood from her desk and sniffed out the hospital that was holding Rin. The young girl was only 10 years of age, and was the closest person to Kagome's heart, along with Kagome's mother and her best friend Sango, who also worked with her. Kagome was one of the best doctors Japan had, and she was proud of it. Her profession allowed her to be able to fully finacially support herself and Rin with loads of Yen to spare.
 
Kagome worked under her mother, Ayumi, who was also a DaiYoukai. Working for her mother had its advantages, like getting off whenever she wanted and ettin her paycheck early, not that she really needed that. Kagome had her own office, and had convinced her mother into getting Sango one as well. Kagome enjoyed working with Sango and her mother, but hated working with the arrogant Sesshomaru. They worked in seperate quarters in seperate ends of the hospital, but he was always found some way to get in her way or on her nerves. But she felt a slight attraction to him. 'What am I thinking?! I can't be attracted to that jerk! I'm on a higher status than him!'

*Flashback*
Kagome flew to the emergency room. Heisei was giving birth to Rin and Kagome wanted to be there. She entered through the hospital doors and sniffed out the room Heisei was giving birth. Kagome could tell that her friend was in great pain, but there was nothing she could do to help her. Kagome wasn't allowed in the room so she couldn't dull the pain with her poison. After fourteen hours in labor and screamind to Kami, Heisei finally gave birth to a healthy human girl. And soon after, Kagome felt the life energy fade from Heisei and go into Rin. Before the doctor could give Rin to her mother, Kagome grabbed the infant and tapped her head, eyes, nose, ears, and last but not least, her chest, making the girl a haynou. In order for her to become a full DaiYoukai like Kagome, Rin would not only have to learn to control her powers, but she had to accept the invitation. If she denied it, on her 18th birthday, she would become a human again.
 
Kagome only hoped that she wanted to become a Youkai because she couldn't watch another person that she loved die. Kagome made Rin's heart as strong as she willed it to be, but not too weak. Kagome walked to her friend's side. "Old Keade told you that when you had a child you would die after giving birth, but you had Rin anyway. And I thank you. You know as well as I do that you have left your daughter in good hands and I will give her the care and love she needs." Kagome stroked the side of Heisei's face with the side of her hand.
 
The flesh was stil warm to the touch, and Kagome knew that her friend was giving all she could to her newborn baby girl. "I promise you that you will watch Rin grow up into a beautiful young lady. And if she embraces the powers I have given her, she will live longer than you would have expected." Kagome gently kissed her friend's head and felt her friend smile inside of her own heart. Already Kagome knew that Heisei was in a better place, watching over them peacefully and happily. Heisei would protect them, even though they didn't need it. Over the next few years, Rin did in fact grow up to a beautiful young woman. Kagome had taken good care of ehr and she had many friends. Rin was not the anti-social type like her mother had been, but a social butterfly, speaking to anyone that crossed her path.
*End Flashback*

Kagome rushed to the hospital, but noticed no change in Rin's scent. Kagome entered Rin's room and saw that she was hooked up to no machines and she was just lying there, alseep. That was when Kagome smelled it. She turned on her heels and left the room, bumping into what felt like a boulder in the process. "Gomen nasai."

Sesshomaru stood up, ready to leave his office. He hadn't seen his secretary all day and he was getting wuite worried. And that's something who barely feels for anyone at all. "Jaken!" Sesshomaru barked. The little green imp came running into the office. "Where's Rin?"
 
"Ah..she fell ill master. She is currently in the hosoital and that wench Kagome is with her at the time, I presume."

"You will not speak of Kagome in such a manner."

"But, milord, she isn't worthy of your pity. With her human mother and demon father, she is a half-breed. A mutt if you will."

"Her mother was a miko and her father one of the most powerful youkai that ruled these lands. Now what hospital is Rin in? Never mind, you worthless little imp." Sesshomaru took to his cloud and flew away.

**Flashback**
Sesshomaru was walking down the street during his lunch break one day. A red ball appeared in fron of him and he kneeled to pick it up. The young brown haired brown eyed girl ran up to him. She appeared to be no more than five, and there was no adult anywhere near her.
 
"Ball!" the girl reached for the ball that was now in Sesshomaru's hand. He handed it to her and smiled. Never before had he smiled at anything, but this young human girl had made him smile in an instant. "Arigato. What's your name?" she said.

"Sesshoamru."

"Sesshomaru-sama!" she repeated then giggled at someone standing behind her. "'Kaa-san!" she said then turned around, hugging the legs behind her. 'How could she have possibly know that there was someone behind her?' Sesshomaru wondered to himself.

"Very good Rin!" Kagome bent over and picked Rin up. "You are learning to ues your powers well."

"Arigato 'kaa. This is Sesshomaru-sama. Rin would like to know if she could play with him tomorrow."

"Hello Sesshomaru-sama. Don't speak in third person Rin, it's very creepy. And I don't know...Sesshomaru-sama is a very busy man. He works for Grandma Ayumi like mommy."

"Hello Kagome-chan." Sesshomaru replied.

"You just spoke in third person mommy."

"I did, didn't I? Well I get it from you!" Kagome giggled.

"Mommy, can Sesshomaru-sama come play with me tomorrow after school?"

"You will have to ask him that Rin." Kagome laughed as the young girl jumped from her arms and onto the gound.

"Sesshomaru-sama, would you like to come play with Rin....I mean me, after school tomorrow?"

"Hai Rin. If that is what you would like. But only if it's okay with your mommy." Both Rin and Sesshomaru looked at Kagome, who had no choice to give in. She didn't care about what Sesshomaru thought of her, but if Rin was upset, all of her powers would run haywire and there would probably be a large chunk of the roof over her room missing in the morning.

"Fine, you two can 'play' together." Kagome inaudibly sighed and rolled her eyes. She knew that Sesshomaru was a trustworthy person, but there was an uneasy something about him that made her.......peaceful. Like she was naturaly calm around him. Kagome didn't know what it was, but she both liked and disliked it. Rin squealed with delight while Sesshomaru smiled. Kagome caught a quick glimpse of his smile and had one of her own. Never before had she seen Rin so
happy and she hadn't seen Sesshomaru smile either.

"Wait til I tell Shippo!" RIn said excitedly.

"Shippo? Your 'mate' Rin?" Kagome teased Rin about Shippo because they called one another mate and they argued like a mated couple.

"Yes mother, my mate. But we are going through some tough times right now." Rin said. Kagome laughed wile Sesshomaru chuckled to himself. How could a five year old know about 'tough times'?

"Okay sweetie. Now say good-bye to Sesshomaru-sama."

"Good-bye Sesshomaru-sama." Rin said and waved as she and Kagome turned to walk away.

"Is he going to be my otou mommy?" Sesshomaru had heard Rin ask.

"I don't know" Kagome answered.
**End Flashback**

Over the course of the past five years, Sesshomaru had watch Rin grow into a young lady. He'd even given her a job as his assistant. The reason was because Kagome stayed very late at the hospitals some nights after she'd picked Rin up from school and the young girl needed something to do. Sesshomaru had her completing easy tasks, suck as sharpening pencils and things like that. She seemed to enjoy the job and Sesshomaru even paid her. The thought of her being sick was a lot on him. Rin was possibly the only person he cared about. 'That's not true. I care about Kagome as well...right? No! Impossible! I cannot love!' Sesshomaru walked into the hospital and found Rin's room when someone bumped into him.

"Gomen nasai," Kagome said.

"It's okay. What's wrong with Rin?"

"Nothing yet. She's just had a bad dream. Her mother often had them and was ill afterwards. But in a few years it will escalate."

"A dream caused her illness?" Sesshomaru wondered.

"More like a glimpse into the future. It's too powerful a gift for humans to hold, but Rin's stronger than that, so I don't know why she is ill."

"I think I have heard of this before. Perhaps the dream she had will come true and end the life of someoneshe cares greatly about. I think that is how it goes when this happens."

"Yes! That's what's going ot happen! You two will die!" Rin came out of her room sobbing.
"Huh? What are you talking about?" Kagome asked as she kneeled down to Rin's height and hugged the crying girl.

"I had two dreams. In the first one, you two were mated and you lived a happy y life. It was bad at first, but things got better and better. But in the second one, you two weren't mated, and you barely spoke to one another and you both died horrible deaths! I don't want to lose another mama!!" Rin cried into Kagome's chest.

"Rin, I'm not going anywhere." Kagome stroked Rin's hair.

"Yes you are! You and Sesshomaru-sama are going to die soon if you don't mate!" Rin sobbed even harder.
"Rin, even if we do mate, without love, the councel of the DaiYoukai will punish us." Kagome tried to explain.
"You can pretend you love each other! I just don't want you to die mama!!" Rin gulped down air as she tried to stop crying. "The dream I had...I can feel that one of them will come true. Please, trust me mama. Please." The look in Rin's eyes held nothing but the truth. Rin was soon asleep in Kagome's arms. Kagome didn't want to die and abandon Rin so soon in her life either. Kagome stood up and faced Sesshomaru.

"What do you say?" she gave him a helpless look.

"It is up to you. If we don't mate, both of us will die and leave Rin here alone, and if we do mate, we get a fairy tale happily ever after."

"I know what Rin would choose if I left the decision up to her. So, to make her happy, I say we mate. That way, whatever death we can avoid, and I'm pretty sure that we can live with being mated, right?"

"Hn."

 



© 2009 Lady Miyako-san of the West


Author's Note

Lady Miyako-san of the West
Okaa-san--mother
Iie--no
Gomen nasai--i'm sorry;excuse me

There are a few Japanese words throughout the story...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on May 21, 2009


Author

Lady Miyako-san of the West
Lady Miyako-san of the West

Forks, WA



About
I am a young inspired writer who is striving for success!!! I don't do fancy and I don't do fake. I am me and I always will be, there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it, so deal with it!.. more..

Writing