Chapter 9: Explanations Before Horror

Chapter 9: Explanations Before Horror

A Chapter by LamiaCor

CHAPTER 9:

 

The gigantic doors opened and I was stunned by the cold air that rivaled that of our school’s air conditioning.

I shivered a bit and froze to see we just entered another corridor. Looking around, it seemed like we just continued or walk from the entrance of this place. Wherever it is.

Where we were walking right now was a lot like the Entrance hall we just passed. Only this corridor didn’t have stores at the sides, other people walking around, and even the floating lights were nowhere to be seen.

I looked up, seeing the infinite darkness over our heads. Knitting my brows, one thing came to mind. How the heck is this place not dark at all?

 As we walked, our footsteps echoed, bouncing off the dirt colored walls.

“Hey,” Christian called from next to me and gaining Lukas’ attention. But he stopped short when we all blinked to see Lukas’ eyes were normal now.

Well, they were still red pupils but the background wasn’t black anymore. Instead it was the clear, normal white. And with the yellowish light around us, his skin seemed to get brighter and he seemed…well, glowing. (In a manner of looks. Not lighting.)

“Ah, you’re wondering about my eyes, eh?” he asked, pointing to his eye. We nodded silently at him. He shrugged his shoulders.

“Well, that mode of my eyes just helps me…see other things. A gift of mine if you’d say.” He replied. With that one question answered, Christian shook his head and sighed.

“Can we please ask some questions now?” he asked, a tone of frustration in his voice.

Skye and I looked up to the red haired man as well, the same thing in mind. Really, while we’re walking, I won’t be surprised if a giant dinosaur or creepy thing popped out from nowhere and started chasing us.

Michael sighed from beside Lukas. “Just tell them everything. They’re Rogues now anyway.” he said, quickly looking away from us and folding his arms to the back of his  head, giving off an all too relaxed pose.

 Lukas sighed, scratching the back of his head. “Alright, alright. Ask away.”

“Where are we?” Christian asked as he looked all over the mysterious corridor that didn’t seem to have an ending.

Lukas then cracked his knuckles, yawning. “Right now we’ve entered HQ. Devil Org.”

We blinked at him and I suppressed my disappointment. Lukas chuckled at me.

“I know, know. Not much to see. Anyway, the place we came in from is called The Clarkson. Named after the kid rogue who started the idea of a place where you can get all of your supplies and study while relaxing at the same time.”

“So kinda like a mall?” Skye asked. Lukas loosely shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah, somethin’ like that.” He replied. “So, is that all you wanna ask?”

At the same time, Christian and I cocked our head back in disbelief, making Lukas smile lopsidedly. He nodded at us, motioning to start our question attacks.

 

“What exactly is Devil Org.? How’d we get here? What are rogues? Why do you keep calling us rookies? What exactly are we gonna do here? Why us? and, how’d we get involved in all this?” I asked, my tone fast and unshakable like that of an interviewer.

 

Lukas and Michael blinked at my fast voice. In a second, Lukas snorted into his palm, suppressing his laughter perhaps. I blushed a bit but, I really do that a lot. Say or ask questions in a fast way. Don’t know why but, it’s just how I speak.

“Alright. I’ll tell ya’ everything.” Lukas started as we walked through the never ending hallway.

“Devil Org. is an organization that specializes in supernatural cases. I think you’ve already gotten a grasp of that.” He said.

I nodded at him, carefully listening and driving away the image of Lukas fighting that werewolf.

“Anyway, all of it is pretty simple. Our organization was formed because of the monsters that prowl about and kill humans.”  

“In short, we exist to control otherworldly creatures.” Michael said, nonchalantly cutting off Lukas who was now stretching his cheeks.

 

“Anyway.” Lukas started while Michael glared at him and rubbed his sore cheeks.

“We got here by simply teleporting. Every Rogue knows how to do it but, it has limits of course. Since teleporting requires magic, if you use it more than five times in one day, your brain will burn up and you’ll die.” Lukas explained, sounding as if he’s said this a million times.

I stared blankly at him, but inside, more questions popped up and I was screaming my head off.

Michael sighed. “You see, there are two worlds. One-the human world and two-the supernatural world. Or as we call the place where we are now-Solaris. No meaning really. People just liked that name.”

“Yeah, that.” Lukas nodded.

 “Which brings us to the kinds of people in Solaris. To be frank, most people you meet here are Rogues or demon hunters as we’re called. There are also some demons here and there but, we run this place. Also, ever since you passed those giant gates, the three of you are now Rogues.”

I took a long, slightly nervous breath along with Christian. But Skye seemed to love the idea of being a Rogue.

“So, four questions down.” Christian said. I nodded at him.

“Yeah, keep answering my questions please. What are we gonna do here-“

“I remember.” Lukas said with slightly annoyed eyes. I annoy people a lot too.

“You’re obviously here because we need more help. New recruits.” Lukas started. Once he said those words, he seemed harsher and his tone had changed from playful into serious, making Michael glance at him.

I knit my brows. “But, in the Clarkson…I think I saw lots of Rogues there.” I said pointedly.

Lukas glanced at me from the corner of his eye and I involuntarily shuddered.

“Yeah. Devil Org. had millions of trainees.” Lukas replied.

“Had?” Skye asked, suddenly flinching away from nothing.

“They started disappearing.” Lukas said. “It started two years ago. And until now, we still can’t find the trainees or the culprit.”

“Maybe they all got scared and ran away.” Michael scoffed. I rolled my eyes him.

Lukas sighed heavily, crossing his arms. “Well, there are very few tough kids out there. “He said, reading my mind.

In truth, I really wouldn’t blame them. In fact I’m terrified myself. Who wouldn’t be? Well…Michael seems like an unfeeling jerk…so I guess he’s safe.

“So, we’re here as new recruits?” Christian asked.

“Yes. You’re also here to help us find the trainees.” Lukas said and looked ahead, his eyes gleaming. “Other than that, the top dogs feel something big is coming. Something very bad and dangerous.”

I suddenly flinched. Christian and Skye did too. Seeing our motion, Lukas smirked a bit. I averted my eyes form him though and tried to hide the fact that I flinched for some reason.

He then widened his smile as he looked away from me, glancing at Michael who had a smile on his face. “Don’t hide the fact that you guys are loving this.” He said pointedly. “It’s in your blood.”

I blinked at him and froze up. “What?” I asked the two guys ahead of us. They both turned to us, mischievous smiles on their faces.

Lukas raised his finger with a wink. “The answers to your last two questions.”

“But, let me start by refreshing your memories.” Lukas said.

Right then, he snapped his fingers and in a second, his entire body turned blood red, the outlines of his face and body still visible as he suddenly melted to the floor like sand.

We all gasped and as I was about to panic, the red pile of dust rose up again and formed int0 a very familiar person that I think I’ll never forget.

From the dust rose not Lukas, but a man wearing waitering clothes that seemed to make his bug eyes seem even bigger along with his red Mario moustache and thinning red hair.

I gasped and flinched, staggering away from the man who was now wriggling his body like a worm with a content cat-like face.

“Y-you!” I yelled as Christian and Skye lost their color staring at Mr. Italiano.

He’s back…” they must be thinking.

That was Lukas?! No way…why’d he do that? So, does that mean we were in this mess from the start?! Also, did he somehow use magic to make me order that lobster in my head?

“Ah Ya!” Mr. Italiano yelled happily as he clapped and dance in tiptoe like those Spanish dancers.

In a second, he gave me a wink worthy enough to make me shudder before turning back into sand then morphing into Lukas again. Who had a large grin on his face.

Speechless, we all stared at him. Michael though had a real annoyed look on his face as Lukas pinched his cheeks for some reason.

“So, now that you remember, you should also recall your parents.” Lukas started. Michael gave him an unsure scowl but Lukas ignored him and just stared happily at me.

I blinked at him and felt my blood go as cold as the air in here.

“Our…parents?” Christian asked.

In a second, it hit me. Why dad suddenly burst when Italiano talked to him, why Uncle and he were talking angrily…they were involved in this organization?

“How do you know them?” I asked.

Lukas sighed and started walking around us. “Usually becoming a Rogue is voluntary. But, the thing is, being a Rogue has been in your blood ever since your father married your mom.”

At that new information, I staggered while Skye froze, staring at the floor along with Christian.

“Dad?” I asked. Lukas nodded at me.

“Richard and Fred had been senior Rogues in the Devil Org. As I recall, we were quite the team back then.” Lukas said. But as I listened, I strained. My heart was too loud for me to hear anything else but ringing.

No way. I can’t imagine dad fighting weird things like werewolves or teaming up with Lukas and Michael. It was just wrong for me.

“That still doesn’t answer the question.” Skye started, seemingly able to compose himself. “Why us?”

“Your family has a good reputation in Devil Org. and with that thought in mind, you were pulled into this. Those disappearing trainees are gifted ones. And now, the ones we have left are…well, a little disappointing.” Lukas explained lightly.

“Then if you say we’re so gifted, why bring us here? That means we’ll disappear too right?” Christian asked, looking a little worried. Maybe he’s thinking about a situation wherein he disappears without a trace.

Lukas made a farting noise, waving his hand. “Nah, don’t be silly. You’re all strong, I can tell. I’m the one who recruited you anyway.” he said with a good natured smile. “Other than that, you guys managed to try and go kick boxing with a werewolf.”

Christian flinched a bit and looked away from Lukas, looking troubled.

“Well, now that your questions have been answered, pipe down. You’ll need your energy for later on.” Lukas said and we continued walking.

 

As we did, the air seemed to get colder as mist started to pull out from my nostrils.

“Getting awfully cold here.” Skye said, rubbing his arms.

“It needs to be like this.” Michael started. “Uncovered spell books don’t do well in heat.”

Well, I didn’t mind that, I like the cold. I stared ahead and noticed we were about to go through another pair of gates. This time the gates were very modern. All steel like the vaults in banks.

As we approached, my heart drummed on my ribs again. I knit my brows, feeling my stomach churn.

“So, what should we be expecting?” I asked. Michael raised his brow at me.

“You’re doing awfully well for someone who’s been told her father’s a demon hunter.” He said.

I sighed heavily. “Not the first time dad’s lied to us.” I replied. Recalling the time he lied about bringing a turtle in the house. (Long story.) Michael stared at me and smirked.

“I’m sure he’ll be in for hell.” he chuckled.

“He is.” I smiled. Michael chuckled again and raised his palm to the gate along with Lukas.

“So, again, what should we expect?” I asked.

Michael shrugged his shoulders at me. “The usual. Monsters, weird people. haywire fish spells.”

I knit my brows at him and smiled a bit. Well, if you’re going to hell, at least try to enjoy the ride. Besides, this familiar rush of adrenaline is coming back to me.

But, then again, it didn’t stop one thought in my mind.

Dad lied to us our entire lives.

 

 

As the symbols on Michael and Lukas’ hands glowed the round metal piece whirled in the middle of the gate and a loud clicking sound resonated through the hallway.

Right after, the gates opened and we were greeted by a gothic, medieval feel.

“This is HQ.” Lukas said as we marveled at the place.

I’ll make this easy. The place had tall stone pillars supporting a firm and sturdy looking stone ceiling. The floor was stone too. In short, HQ was a medieval castle.

Only, at the left side of us were desks, computers and people wearing lab coats, or cosplay-like clothes as some of them stacked papers, typed on computers or studied weird skulls or mounds of dirt behind clear glass walls that seemed to shimmer.

“Over there is the side for research.” Lukas explained then pointed to the right side.

“Over there is where we Rogues work.” He smiled as we headed to the right side of HQ.

At this side, there were two levels. The upper floor was a long, rectangular level with glass walls faced to us, showing large but empty room with lime lighting. The and below that level was a wide empty room with a floor of simple black darkness that engulfed the top of steel stairs found in swimming pools.

But I ignored the darkness and got my attention pulled up by the upper level.

 

 Thought most of the rooms had no one in them, one room showed a single female trainee wearing all black clothes and holding her fists up to her face as if she were getting ready to punch someone. She seemed to mutter something and in a flash, spike knuckle puncher weapons appeared on her knuckles.

And right then, a giant bat-like creature with purple hide and long sharp teeth flew out from nowhere.

Before the thing could get to her, she punched the creature square in the jaw and it seemed to cry out before freezing and shimmering before only the outline of its body was left and it totally disappeared.

I stared at the woman who was now tapping on a clear slab of glass, seemingly punching in codes or numbers before holographic glasses appeared over her eyes.

Someone suddenly pulled my arm, making me look back and see Skye was pulling on me since we were about to get left behind.

“What?” he asked and looked at where I was looking. Seeing the woman punching the air with her holographic glasses, he whistled then snickered loudly.

“I love this place!” he squealed before running off and leaving me in the middle of the office side and crazy side.

Rolling my eyes, I continued on to where Lukas and the others are.

Right now we were standing in front of the Dark room as I now call it. Lukas gave us glances and smiled.

“Michael you go first. Catch ‘em from down there.” He said with a carefree smile. Michael stared at him with disbelief for a moment then finally sighed.

“You’re a mean mentor you know that?” he said before taking out his leg then simply jumping into the dark floor and disappearing.

I blinked and carefully Skye and I went on our knees, crawling to the edge of the darkness and peeking, staring into the black sea.

I stuck my finger in there but, there was no tingling or funny feeling. Os it would be safe to think we’re not gonna fall through a toxic lake. It was just like sticking your finger in a freezer really.

 

“What are you doing?” Lukas asked as Skye stuck his forearm in and started flailing it about.

“Testing it.” Skye said. “Is this fog or, ink or what?” he asked out loud.

But before I could say something too, I felt a hand on my back before I was pushed into the blackness, screaming bloody murder while Skye screamed:

“DAMN YOUUUU!”

 

I thought it was gonna be literally falling into black, but I was wrong. Once we got past the black floor, my eyes were momentarily shocked by bright lights.

Blinking, I looked up and saw we were now and a very large and wide room, kinda like a ballroom with thick stone pillars. Only, the middle of the room was dome shaped with railings at the edges and a small but visible stair case leading up to the flat floor that had dummies, pieces of rectangular furniture, dolls, chairs, tables and all that.

But then I looked down, seeing Michael and Skye standing a few feet below me with Michael’s arms open as if he were gonna catch me.

Wait. Catch me?

Oh right, I was falling.

Right then, I felt panic rise in me as I started whimpering and wishing I had wings. Before I could hit the floor, I shut my eyes and stopped falling, landing in stable and firm ground.

I heard a sigh. Opening my eyes, I flinched to see Michael was currently carrying m in his arms, bridal style. He raised his brow at me then smirked mischievously.

I shuddered. No, I do not like that look.

With a muttered curse, I pulled down from him and scurried to Skye, feeling my face heat up as my brother raised his brow at me.

I blinked then pointed my finger at Skye, making him knit his brows. “How’d you get here before me? We fell at the same time.”

Before he could answer Michael scoffed, turning to me. “He’s gifted. He knew how to teleport already.”

I blinked then glanced at Skye who was now sticking his tongue out to me, looking happy and pleased with himself. Staring at him with a bored look I playfully slapped him before starting a bickering fight with him.

 

“Alright, alright.” Lukas’ voice suddenly said, making me stop pulling on Skye’s cheeks. We all turned and flinched to see Lukas standing before us with a superman pose and on his back, a pale Christian looking ready to barf or possibly die.

I’m wondering what happened. Did he hit something with his head? Did Lukas kick him into here? Did he barf? But, I chose to keep quiet and listen to Skye’s muffled laughter behind me.

“So, what now?” Christian quietly asked as he pulled away from Lukas’ back, wobbling a bit.

Lukas hummed, rubbing his chin. He then smiled at us, walking towards the rectangular furniture that I doubt to be things I can sit on without worrying about it coming to life or actually being people.

Lukas turned to us then smiled, showing his gleaming teeth.

“Training is the first.”



© 2014 LamiaCor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on May 15, 2014
Last Updated on May 15, 2014
Tags: action, adventure, comedy, supernatural, horror, fiction, teen


Author

LamiaCor
LamiaCor

Philippines



About
Hello~ IMPORTANT: JUST TO MAKE SURE THE PEOPLE THAT'VE READ MY STORIES, I ALSO HAVE ACCOUNTS IN WATTPAD-LamiaCor ,FANFICTION- NoctisFlame, BOOKSIE-shiningexotic66 Shawol, ELF, Bana, .. more..

Writing