One - Dials

One - Dials

A Chapter by Leigh
"

-

"
There are dials in the sky. One set of dials for every person, they are a mixing desk of characteristics. At the start of a persons life they are set, with each dial giving a certain amount of each property to each person. Those properties include luck, fortune and prosperity. They are very rarely changed in the course of someone's life, not unless something unusual happens, something very unusual.

The gods control and oversee these dials as a way of controlling the mortal being. Occasionally they may feel sorry for someone and tweak a dial here and there, to give them more of a chance. Then they may get bored and watch as someone is able to live again in the framework of a newly created destiny. When a person is near death they can tweak the dials up or when they are too successful, turn them down so they are not too god like. The gods are jealous creatures and are not to be rivalled.

One such person became of particular interest to them as he continually went in and out of his presets. Using more luck than he had, seeing outside the system and disregarding his own expectations. His name was Douglas Crotchet and he lived in England. He was what they called an Enigman.

Typically Enigmans had a disregard for the world they we're put in, didn't take anything for granted and expected disaster. They didn't value material possessions or good fortune and dwelt in a mindset of the bleak and the morose, expecting bad luck in every given situation. So usually they were loners or outsiders who people regarded as weird. There were also the successful ones. Through extreme living and circumstance, by probability some of them managed to break through the system and beat it, Douglas was becoming one of those.


© 2014 Leigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, I really like this idea. It has so much scope to build and to give you ultimate freedom with your characters. I will definitely be reading more of this to see how it progresses. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


imagine having your whole personality dialed in. Perhaps then I would actually have one I suppose. Great concept for a story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Leigh

9 Years Ago

It is a possibility
Very interesting Leigh :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Thank you Vidya
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
What an interesting thought provoking start...enjoyed :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Glad you like it, hope it keeps you interested
A very imaginative writing with a difference. I would like to read more about the Enigmans...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

You shall in later chapters
Here's proof that you don't have to talk about Englishmen by starting at Waterloo ... or the Spanish Armada. It must be the new liberal view ... founded in crayons ... Budweisers ... and an occasional appetite for chicken vindaloo. The old bull dog does learn new tricks after all. A great leap forward.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Yes and we must also learn to stay out of the midday sun, its not good for the brains you know
thanks 4 the reed request, keep writing!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Who can stop me?
This is a really great read, and definitely makes the reader want to know more. One tiny tweak, I noticed at the beginning an absence of an apostrophe in person's.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Cool thanks KL
An intriguing start to a new story...
I love the concept of the "dials"!

Oh my, you are a busy writer, Leigh!... keep writing!~xoxo~:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Leigh

10 Years Ago

Quantity over quality maybe
Robbie~xoxo~

10 Years Ago

No... you're imagination flows... that's quality baby! xx:))
Leigh

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2014
Last Updated on March 11, 2014
Tags: Douglas, City, luck, destiny, gods, dials, control, life


Author

Leigh
Leigh

Bristol, South West, United Kingdom



About
More info on website about my books also on Amazon & other ebook sites via D2D. I am currently promoting my new book The Blackbird Man - follow this link https://books2read.com/u/bajKvv Thank you.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Leigh



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Confide Confide

A Poem by A. Amos