Chapter One: Happy Birthday

Chapter One: Happy Birthday

A Chapter by Dylan L. T. Goodman
"

The tale begins and the angels begin to build the world from the wastes. Soon the world takes form of its new order and show how things will come to be.

"
Chapter One: Happy Birthday

“Just one more strong push and she’ll be here Sugar” said Atom as he helped deliver Sugar’s daughter.
“Come on honey, just a bit further and she’s home” said the father Michael as he held her tightly clenched hand.
Screaming and pushing, Sugar finally produced her child and only daughter named Penelope. Atom raises the bright white glowing baby to her proud parents and as they held her in their hands her glow faded and her gift was given. This gift wouldn’t like show itself for a few years but her parents were proud no matter what that gift was. Atom gave her a pink blanket and a small teddy bear that had a singe in it left ear from before the war.
The tribe’s number grew to two hundred today and the tribe planned a celebration for all those that resided within it. Gifts were given, music was played, and dancing ensued. This marked the first birth in months and all were eager to see the little angel. The mother and father took her around the camp briefly until the music began and they took their little bundle of joy home. The tribe would be gleeful for weeks to come.
In the year to come, crops of prewar vegetables would grow and the tribe would begin building using more marble integrated Into their construction. The angels that held the gift of building only needed to hold a material in their hand or touch it to duplicate the material in a freely growing building that grew without work or much effort. The major gifts that most began with were those of building, planting, and some could spawn animals from bones of the dead. Water could be created from the builders and would work closely with those that held the other two gifts so food would be rich and plentiful. Other gifts allowed flight, running at super speeds, and super hero like traits that the humans only ever dreamed of.
In a few cases like little Penelope, a item would hold their same gifts. At the age of six months, baby Penelope fell from her crib when trying to escape and she was so advanced that she managed to hoist herself over the top and fall to the floor. When she fell, her teddy bear came to life and grew to the size of a fully grown angel and caught her in mid air. From that point on, she was the youngest angel with two gifts before the age of two. The bear could grow, change material, fly, and much more abilities came to be as it aged along with its owner and it’s name was Benge.
Awkward at first, Benge stayed for his owner and would cater to her every need before she even began to fuss. The two were at one with each other and Benge became her best friend and best nanny the parents could think of. Penelope needed nothing more than her bear and was always the happiest of children. The rest of the tribe came to greet Benge like a member of the tribe and all was well.
Soon, the tribe opened their first marble stone building that acted as a city hall atop the ruins of an old hospital. This building established that the city ran under a democracy and that all the residents had a. say in how the tribe’s city ran. Soon enough the city had a hospital and a school complete with roads and motor vehicles and no one could tell this place had ever been a horrid wasteland full of empty destroyed buildings and dead remnants of memories of a bygone age. Envoys came to and from the city and soon the builders made expeditions to find other cities and to pave roads to them and other possible building points.
The makings of this city were coming along swimmingly when the first incident occurred. When exploring an abandoned city in an old hotel Stevie, Sage, and Danielle were attacked by demons for the first time. The battle was intense and these two factions had not been put to war before and were until now, at peace with each other. The angels developed the powers of super strength, the power of overwhelming holy light, and holy whips came from the finger tips of Danielle. The demons numbered in the thirties and all had powers of fire and darkness but the were no match for the angels even when they only had three in number.
After the battle; word spread quickly to other tribes that the demons had no intentions of bringing peace to the world but most suspected this would be the case anyway. Atom’s city of Woe began constructing walls and adding defensive positions and towers to watch at all times for the threat of any coming demons. Atom also conversed in the fountain with his father about the coming days with the demons and the father revealed that there would be a great war as two things were about to take place.
A great bunker was hidden deeply in the Earth that still held humans and in the years to come, this bunker would open and release humans that had pre-emptively fled to this very large bunker but there was no telling when or where this bunker was or when it would open. The second event was another special angel would be born somewhere that would be given a fourth gift that would lead them to this bunker. Now, the task fell to Atom and his tribe to silently build until the day came when the bunker and gift would come to be immediate tasks as the demons would sense the humans presence as soon as the bunker doors opened and would try to destroy the last remnants of humanity.
Atom wept into the fountain tears of joy and the father praised him for being the angel he needed all along. The fountain exists currently in a place that only Atom feels himself leave too and time in the universe works much differently. Until the day came, Atom was to remain silent about all of it as any word to the demons would allow them to hunt for the bunker ahead of time and the angels might also, now feel as though the humans might threaten the world order that was still being established. Atom was most afraid of how the humans would react to seeing angels with no wings and their multi-headed and multi-armed forms would react when they were to meet.
Atom, like the rest, lost his wings when the fall to Earth came to be but his heads and arms remained the same. Atom had three human shaped male heads with short black hair and four arms also the same amount as any other angel. His form was different from the rest in that he had no animal features in his body. Most angels have lions, bears, deer, sheep, and many more features that a human would recognize as animal like in nature but, not Atom. Atom choose this form after many years in heaven watching the humans as they lived out their daily lives out of the immense love he had for their kind. Many angels stuck with the forms they fell with but Atom choose during the fall, like his new name, he would pay his respects to the humans he loved.
One day an angel came to the city and told tale of a city made of moon rock and hopes to bring this worlds angels to heights that the humans were nearing when the bombs fell. These angels wanted to go into space and live among the stars. Atom, like his other builders; were interested in this endeavor as well as the stone as a new material for their city as well. A group of young builders took an envoy of angels to this city and found the stone but also found the city was decimated by demons. Enormous footprints littered the broken stone ground and the homes were all crushed filled with the bodies of dead angels. The envoy took materials and drove upon the road they constructed along the way all the way home and it wasn’t long before they came home to tell tales of the demon’s destruction of this beautiful angel city and Atom took action instantly. The angels began to train from age five and up in order to combat these fearsome foes.
Years passed by quickly and soon cities from all over had begun the same training as it seemed a great war was brewing. Penelope and Benge both reached age five and soon mineral weapons of swords, spears, bows, guns, cannons and more were made from precious stones like ruby and diamond. Fights came to pass and the angels began winning all their known battles but only those in the east reported wining battles as in the west became eerily silent and cities were found destroyed and the populous slaughtered. Every time a new city came to be built, it seemed another would fall and the war became clear that in the west the demons held more power than in the east.
Soon, it came to be that the city of Woe numbered in the thousands from births and from migrations. Angels began having litters of babies and the gifts that were so rare at a young age came during the first years of training. Atom decided, without word of the bunker opening, it was time to take the coast back and take the fight west. This decision held true with the leaders of other eastern cities and this was marked as ‘the great march of absolution’. During this time, the first angel and demon war was waged. Atom was the leader of one sect of fighters known as the Valkure Units whose battle prowess was heard about through out all the cities. While out on a mission, the city of Woe was attacked and the non-combat ready angels were left defenseless, or so it seemed. Thousands of demons the size of cars, humans, and even small buildings descended upon the city but one thing managed to save all of the city. Penelope and Benge stood in front of the gates and took on all the demons using only a five year old angel’s teddy bear as the main weapon and they won without a scratch.
Benge could grow to massive sizes, shoot lasers and photon blasts from his eyes, he had super strength, super speed, and seemed to develop more and more abilities as the battle waged on. His arms and legs turned to razor sharp swords, his fur grew spikes that ejected from his body, even his mouth breathed frost and fire at various times. Benge and his beloved angel Penelope ended up fending off over four thousand demons of different shapes and sizes, different powers, and different degrees of fighting skill and saved five hundred city living angels while the main fighters had a war of their own in the west.
Sugar was with Penelope while Michael and Atom saved another western city from destruction and soon, a four day battle was won with five thousand angels versus fifty thousand demons and half of the angels died including Penelope’s father Michael. This war was only beginning but the battles were hard fought and won by the angels that dared face the odds themselves. Soon a day would come when another war would be waged over the bunker but for now, North America was now mostly angelic havens and this war shortened as the demons retreated underground to build their armies and train them even more ferocious than before. The angels would build their cities and reshape the face of the Earth but they would also still train for the days when a fight came from under ground.


© 2019 Dylan L. T. Goodman


Author's Note

Dylan L. T. Goodman
This is the first chapter after the Epilogue, the world is just now forming and much more is in store.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on January 14, 2019
Last Updated on January 14, 2019
Tags: In The Name of Atom, Angels, Demons, post appocalypse, chapter one


Author

Dylan L. T. Goodman
Dylan L. T. Goodman

Council Bluffs, IA



About
I began my writing at an early age when I would watch movies and send my grandmother books I made based on what I had seen. During middles school, I began to find my passion when a certain teacher sho.. more..

Writing