Wings of Paper - Chapter 6

Wings of Paper - Chapter 6

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The First Farewell

"


Hiro had fallen into a restless sleep as the sky grew darker and the rain seemed bent on destroying our van. Sadie and Alex had gone to sleep as well, but Sammy was too tense to get rest at all. I remembered that he was a little younger than me, only about two years older than Sadie. This must’ve felt like a big journey for someone as young as him. 

About mid afternoon Kip reported buildings up ahead, which meant we would arrive within the hour. I was excited to see yet another village, but fear also struck. 

The closer we grew to the Darkness, the closer we grew to Dee and I still had no idea what I was supposed to do to kill her. I recalled what Alex had said about me imagining Dee and the Darkness gone. I had said it wouldn’t work, but I didn’t really want to try even if I didn’t know. 

Because if I tried and it failed it would be yet another thing that wouldn't work. 

It was worth a shot though. If it did work and I didn’t try it I would be setting myself up for failure as well. 

I closed my eyes and pictured the Darkness being sucked up through a hole in the clouds. I pictured Dee’s face imploding on itself, her screaming out in pain before she disappeared entirely. I pictured them as clearly as I could, but when I opened my eyes the Darkness was still looming in the distance. It had been a long shot and now a failure. 

I held back my emotions. I couldn’t let anyone know that yet another thing had failed, it would damper their hope and make them even more overwhelmed. Hiro’s strange spells had already terrified them. 

Kenzie and Kip were having a hushed conversation and I didn’t want to interrupt. 

But then Hiro stirred beside me, his lips forming a word or name I couldn’t make out. He repeated it over and over again, and I shifted my position so if he flailed about he wouldn’t injure me. I bit my tongue, hesitant to call for Kenzie. Sammy was too deep in thought to notice anything and Kenzie and Kip were still engaged in conversation. 

Hiro’s eyes flew open and his hands gripped anything they could find - the seat, and unfortunately my arm. Kenzie whipped around, her eyes growing wide as she saw me trying to wrench my arm out of Hiro’s grip. 

When he realized he was holding on to me he smiled sheepishly and released me. Kenzie was doing all she could to restrain herself from tackling him. 

“You’re alright?” I asked, knowing that the question wouldn’t really do him justice. 

Hiro rubbed his head, pushing himself into a sitting position. “I’m fine.” He caught Kenzie’s wide-eyed gaze and repeated himself. “I’m fine, Kenzie, really. I just conked out for a few minutes.” 

“It was a few hours, actually,” I said, my voice quiet. I didn’t want Hiro to worry but I could tell from his pale face and shocked expression that he hadn’t been expecting that. 

Hours?” Hiro breathed. “But the vision…” He shook his head. “I didn’t think it was that long. Are you sure?” 

I wanted to lie. To tell him that we were joking. To tell him that the Darkness was gone. 

“Visions?” Kenzie interrupted. “What visions?” 

“Nothing,” Hiro said, his voice bitter. “I’m fine. Where exactly are we?” 

“Closing in on a village bordering the mountains. I saw a sign a while back for Ambercliff.” 

Hiro’s nose wrinkled and Kenzie’s face drew into a snarl. 

I couldn’t say I didn’t echo their concern. Ambercliff was … difficult. “At the next turn we need to change direction,” Kenzie spat. 

“Can’t do that,” Kip said with a weary sigh. “The last turn was miles back and this road leads straight there.” 

“Turn around,” Hiro voiced, his face growing paler. 

“And jeopardize the timing of this mission?” Kip scoffed. “Besides, we’re getting low on food. We’re going to Ambercliff.” 

Kenzie groaned, burying her face in her hands. Hiro let out a whimper sinking into the seat. I pushed back my growing concerns, reminding myself that food was more important than preference. 

“What’s so bad about the place?” Kip asked us. 

“It’s not the place, it’s the people,” Kenzie answered, barely keeping the bitterness from her voice. 

Kip was still waiting expectantly, so I explained. “Kenzie and Hiro met here when Hiro was moving into Kenzie’s kingdom. But when they found out that Hiro was a prince, the villagers mobbed him and attacked him because this is Kenzie’s kingdom. When Kenzie tried to stop them they attacked her.” 

Hiro nodded along, closing his eyes. I could tell he was in pain about something. 

“How did you…” Kenzie began. Then she muttered,”Forgot that you created us.” There was a note of bitterness in her voice too. I didn’t know why. 

“Well, hopefully they won’t be as hostile this time,” Kip shrugged. 

“I wouldn’t count on it,” Hiro grumbled, curling his body so it avoided the rest of us. 

This quest was going to kill all of us. 


I had to reluctantly agree that Ambercliff was a beautiful village. The trees were set in a permanent autumn, meaning the leaves were constantly a lovely combination of gold and pumpkin. The houses were made of a crisp yellowish wood that complimented the tones of the tree bark. It seemed like a group of log cabins in the fall forest. 

Kenzie glared at all of it, weaving her dark hair into a braid like she expected a fight. Hiro did the opposite, shrinking back against the seat and tugging his hair in front of his face, though it wasn’t long enough. 

Sadie and Alex were just waking up as we explained that our plan was to get in and out as fast as possible. 

Although Sadie seemed a bit upset that she wouldn’t be meeting as many new people she was genuinely understanding and agreed. Alex was just as sentimental, and she even agreed to stay in the car with Kenzie and Hiro if needed. Of course, Hiro and Kenzie wouldn’t stay put - they didn’t want to risk the mission for their preferences. 

As we drove further into the town I began to see etchings and graffiti on the walls like people had used their knives to dig into the wood. 

Except it wasn’t normal graffiti. They were pleas for the Creator to save the families. To spare the children. To end the Darkness. Bile rose in my throat and I forced myself to look away. I felt Alex’s hand as a comforting weight on my shoulder. 

“You can’t do anything for them.” Her voice was stern yet also sympathetic at the same time. Kenzie mumbled a similar thing, but her voice was low. 

Suddenly, Kip braked violently and the car screeched to a stop. “Did you hear that?” he asked, his eyes wide. I raised an eyebrow, wondering if maybe the Darkness was getting to Kip too. 

And then I heard it. It was a voice, soft as a whisper, caressing down my spine and sending goosebumps down my arm. I froze as the voice seemed to grow louder. 

Hello, Luke, we meet again, though not in person.” The voice was not familiar, but the name of the owner popped into my head. I didn’t even have to confirm that it was Dee, because she continued on like I would make the assumption on my own. “I’m glad we get to have these little chats. It really makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I assume you know I’m speaking to you for a reason, however, and you are correct on that matter. I come to tell you that the boy named Nigel and his mother are now joining my army. As are Griffin and the others from that town. I just wanted to thank you for the new additions. So long!” 

I grit my teeth, hoping I could invest my fury into something. But Dee was gone, I could feel that her presence had left. 

“Did anyone else hear that?” My voice came out soft as a whisper. 

Alex shook her head. “I felt like something or someone was in here. But I heard nothing.” Great, now I was going insane too. 

“Well, Dee was here in my head. She said that no one we sent to the edge of the world has made it. She has all of them in her army.” My voice died out and I found myself glancing at one of the etchings. 

Oh, Creator, spare the children. Save my darlings

“She’s just trying to get in your head,” Kenzie assured me. “C’mon, we have supplies to get and I don’t want to be here any longer than I need to.” 

“She’s not lying,” I argued. “Dee is right - we can’t just send people aimlessly wandering to the edge of the world. They can’t fight off the Dark Warriors and Beasts, they’ll only be slaughtered faster.” 

“We can’t think of them,” Kenzie sighed. “We can only think of ourselves.” 

“Think of the children!” 

“The only way to save the children is to defeat the Darkness!” Kenzie was seething now and I regretted pushing her over the edge. “Look, Luke, you can’t save everyone. Destroying the Darkness means making hard choices.” 

I shrank back against the seat, heat rising to my cheeks. Kenzie was right, unfortunately, there was no way for us to save everyone. 

Finally, Kip broke the silence. “You don’t need me - let me take these people somewhere safe.” His voice was calm despite the recklessness of his offer. I shook my head, and Kenzie was doing the same only more vigorously. 

“Kip, you can’t do that,” Hiro argued. “The people in Ambercliff aren’t worth saving.” 

Everyone is worth saving,” Sadie shot back, surprising me with her fierceness. She looked to Kip, though. “In the bottom of the tower with the portal there’s a trapdoor. It leads to a winding path, which will bring you to Crystal Hollow underground. It’s safe - no one else knows it exists except Sammy and I. Take the people there.” 

“What? No!” Kenzie sputtered. “Kip, you can’t be serious. These people are some of the worst I’ve ever met. We’ll find other villages to save - and even then we can’t risk you running off with them. We need you.” 

I was torn. We needed Kip, but the villagers probably needed him more. He wasn’t a poor fighter, but he offered no advantage to our team besides the fact that he could drive. And I was sure Alex could probably drive if forced too, she was closer to being sixteen than I was, and I didn’t put it beyond her to learn in spite of her parents. 

Six sets of staring eyes broke me out of my thoughts and I realized everyone was waiting for my answer. I bit my lip, the right answer trying to form in my throat. 

I had to do the right thing, not as a friend, but as a person. 

“I think Kip should go,” I spoke softly, the words falling out of my mouth like a torrent of water. I didn’t want to upset anyone, but it was too late for emotions to matter. “Yes, the Cliffians may not be the best of people, but everyone deserves a chance. The Darkness is destroying everything, we need to save who we can regardless of what kind of past they have. Kip may be our friend, and as friends we need to support him. Besides, he’ll be safer the further he is from us.” 

Kip nodded at me, a small and thankful smile forming on his lips. 

“Luke, you can’t be serious,” Alex whispered. “We need Kip.” 

“Yes, but the Cliffians need him more. Sending them without a guide is sending them to the deaths.” I couldn’t meet anyone’s eyes, I knew they would hate me for this. 

“For the last time, they aren’t important,” Kenzie insisted through gritted teeth. 

“Everyone is important,” Sadie voiced. “We’ll miss Kip, but the Cliffians need him more than we do. And just because we go separate paths now doesn’t mean we won’t see each other again.”

“It’s not a choice,” Kip said, his tone determined. “I will lead the Cliffians to Crystal Cove. And I will hope and pray that we meet again.” 

No one could argue with him, Kip’s mind was set. He would leave for good reason, and the only thing we could do to change that. “Please just let me do this,” he begged, his expression pleading. 

No one spoke as Kip opened the door of the van and climbed out. I realized that a small crowd of Cliffians had gathered at the sight of travellers. 

Kip closed his door, shutting us off from him, and I couldn’t make out what he was saying but he was speaking to the Cliffians. Some nodded along, some were shaking their heads. It was a mixed reaction until someone pointed at the van. They could obviously still see us inside. 

Hiro shrank even further into the seat like he wished it could swallow him whole. The Cliffians were growing rowdier and Kip was doing his best to appease them, but it wasn’t working. 

I reached to press the button to open the door when Alex grabbed my hand. “What are you doing?” she hissed. 

I grinned slyly. “Taking a risk.” I slammed my hand on the button and the door slid open. I had chosen Alex’s side to escape because the crowd was on Hiro’s. I climbed out of the van and grabbed onto the moonroof, hoisting myself up not at all gracefully. Some of the Cliffians began to notice and pointed. 

I gained my footing on top of the van and waited until everyone was watching me in confusion. That was when I took the risk. 

“I am the Creator.” My voice rang out, echoing through the rows of houses. Whispers proceeded, just like I expected. I waited longer but it became clear that the crowd wasn’t going to silence so I cleared my throat. “I am the Creator, and you should believe me even if I can’t offer proof. As your Creator, I command you to follow this man. He will lead you to safety from the Darkness.” 

I don’t know what I had been expecting. Maybe an uproar or a refusal. Instead, the Cliffians seemed compliant as they whispered amongst themselves. Although it was challenging to gauge their reaction, I could tell they weren’t opposed to the idea. 

Finally, someone spoke up. “Give us the prince of Lizveth.” 

Lizveth was the name of Hiro’s kingdom, which meant that they wanted him. And that was not a price I was willing to pay, especially with Hiro’s condition. 

“Why?” I asked, trying to sound like I was considering it. 

Why?” the same man scoffed. “Look, kid, I don’t know or care if you’re the Creator, but our business with the Prince of Lizveth is not for nosy brats like you.” 

“You can’t have him,” I said, crossing my arms. “I’m doing this for your own good. Follow Kip and you will have safety.” To me the offer sounded wonderful and preferable to whatever Dee would have planned for these people. Apparently it wasn’t that great to the Cliffians. They wanted Hiro. 

Suddenly, I felt a presence at my side. For a second I thought Dee had come back to haunt me. Instead, I found Kenzie standing beside me, her dark hair fluttering softly in the wind and her dark eyes boring into the crowd. 

I could hear the mumbles of the return of the Iron Maiden (yeah, I know, not so clever with the nicknames again). The Cliffians were more fearful of her than anything. 

“You will follow Kip or you will die,” Kenzie said, her voice strong as steel and as icy as a blizzard. Well that set the Cliffians into action, scurrying this way and that, grabbing anything they could. I shot a thankful look towards Kenzie, who was already jumping from the roof. 

“We didn’t get supplies,” Sammy said as I climbed back into the van. Alex was in the front seat already getting driving lessons from Kip. It was either her or Kenzie, and the latter had no experience with motorized vehicles. Hiro had his legs pulled to his chest, and he was avoiding my gaze. 

“We can raid the village after everyone else is gone,” Kenzie suggested. “The less contact with the Cliffians the better.” She sent the last part my way but I ignored the jibe. 

And so we waited in the car. Kip gathered some of his stuff from the back of the trunk and finally he managed to get us out of the van - well, everyone but Hiro and Kenzie who were still avoiding us. There were tears in Sadie’s eyes and when Sammy reached for her hand she declined, throwing her arms around Kip. He rubbed her back, promising to be safe. 

Alex and Sammy stood still, frozen in either shock or grief. I myself was forcing back tears, reminding myself I would see him again. I would

Finally, Kip smiled at me. “Thanks for this adventure, Luke.” He reached for my hand and we shook, his grip tight and firm. Kip pulled away and made his way towards the Cliffians, their packs overflowing with an abundance of supplies. 

It would be a long journey, I knew. Especially on foot. 

But I had to have faith in Kip. He believed I would manage to stop the Darkness and Dee. I had to believe he would get the Cliffians to safety. 

And I couldn’t let this be farewell. So I closed my eyes and hoped with all of my heart that Kip and I would meet again. No, not just Kip and I - all of us. We had to live through this, we just had to. 

I would have to be the one to believe in that, because it seemed no one else would.



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on August 20, 2020
Last Updated on August 20, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, fantasy, adventure, fiction, quest, darkness, heroes, castle, kingdom, imagination, doubt, confidence


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.