The Seven Deadly Sins

The Seven Deadly Sins

A Poem by Askew

The seven deadly sins
I make sure to exhibit them all

With sloth I relax
And take the time to care for myself

Greed keeps me from wasting my money
And pushes me to earn more

Anger keeps me strong
And prevents others from walking all over me

With lust comes the pleasure of men
And I keep myself satisfied

With gluttony I can taste every country
And experience sweet and savory

Envy drives me to do better
Until I win what I want

And pride does the most for me

It helps me stand up straight
In the face of danger

And helps me battle
Those who aim to harm me

Pride keeps me tall
When the safest thing would be to fall

© 2018 Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It helps me stand up straight
In the face of danger
And helps me battle
Those who aim to harm me
Pride keeps me tall
When the safest thing would be to fall


KEEP ON STANDING up for your beliefs....
This is so well said and so well stressed outward.
I really like this write, nicely presented

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked this. I don't know whether it was your intent, but it made me smile. I love the way you thumb your nose at all the moralistic hypocrites by turning their supposed sins into virtues. And I particularly agree with your final one - pride. No one is anything without pride in his or her self! Very nicely done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Easy to know the seven deadly sins. When sin is a part of us. No return to being clean. I enjoyed your words and thoughts. Left something for the reader to ponder.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


A thousand applause. This is brilliant, Lexi.
Not only is it great poetry and form, but the message displays that, well, even sin is all in how you look at a thing. I will certainly push people to read this.
It's that well-done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Askew

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Wesley, you have no idea how grateful I am to hear that!
Wesley Dingler

5 Years Ago

You're welcome so much. I really enjoyed this piece.

*thumbs up
From your perspective who can truly look upon these as sins? They look more like the pillars that one needs to build a strong stable life. Good for you!

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


i love this unique creative take on those 7 deadlies ... and your poem drives home what our sin is ... believing and acting on a corruption of something virtuous ..well done ... biting satire ... your speaker sounds like a very self confident rebel ... gotta love it!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I enjoyed the approach to your lines here. Turning negatives into positives is a definite positive in my book. Anyone who can do that certainly has a great attitude to life. Is likely to overcome life's adversities. Well penned.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an interesting take on the seven 'deadly' sins. I really liked how you turned what typically is considered negative into a positive just as one might turn 'a bad situation into a good one.' It reinforces the idea that life is about perspective and attitude, to make the best and learn from everything.
But in following the classic take on the sins, the ending was a nice touch as it added that vulnerability despite efforts to be optimistic.

Posted 5 Years Ago


The ‘seven’ contrary virtues, which are specific opposites to the ‘Seven Deadly Sins’ could be listed as: Humility against pride, Kindness against envy, Abstinence against gluttony, Chastity against lust, Patience against anger, Liberality against greed, and Diligence against sloth. However, your poetical integration of the 'deadly' into a lifestyle, positive twisting, and interpretation is a great read. Made me smile ... nice one! :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 13, 2018
Last Updated on December 13, 2018

Author

Askew
Askew

Canada



About
I’m 22, and don’t write as often as I’d like. more..

Writing
Redemption Redemption

A Poem by Askew



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Darling Darling

A Poem by Askew