"A Very Rough Version of Me" - Incomplete - A dialogue between the two main characters.

"A Very Rough Version of Me" - Incomplete - A dialogue between the two main characters.

A Stage Play by Karina Longo
"

This is a little dialogue scene between two fictional characters of a little play I plan to write. I'm testing the profile of the characters. Enjoy (or not!)!

"

1893.

 

It's the living room of the posh little apartment owned by VINCENT in West Side London. He had a good taste for paintings and the traditional Victorian decoration. Fast and educated steps of someone are heard, breaking the mysteriously confortable silence that was clearly an enjoyment to Vincent, who was sit by the sofa. (CARL comes in)

 

 

 

VINCENT: Blimey, Mr. Carl Finnings! You're like a ghost floating through the expensive flooring of this house - and it's not even five o'clock yet, is it? What's so important to stop me thinking to myself what a poetic, utopic London we have outside, such a memorable London with tones of blue and pink in the skies until the rains bleach it all gray again? Would you please tell me? Carl?

 

 

 

CARL: Me, a ghost? I'll take it as a compliment, and with honour, of course. I would hate to be too loud, it's a huge fault to my occupation. Thank you, Mr Williams. Well. I'm afraid I have little to tell about such charming afternoons ending into boring rainy evenings as I'm 65 and have seen it all till the point I can't tell the difference, sir. Oh! But the young Mr Williams, your brother Stephen is here. He said I should announce him with a different name but it's not even legal.

 

 

 

VINCENT: Oh bloody hell! How unquiet you are for a 65 year old gentleman you, Carl! Just let me be 35 with naivety and dignity. Stephen is here? That's what shouldn't be legal if you ask me. But you can go now, bring us some tea and tell Mr Wiliams to meet me here, please.

 

 

 

CARL: Most certainly, I will. Good luck, sir.

 

(Carl goes away. A younger man comes in 5 minutes after. He has big blue eyes, a scarf around his neck and a little hat covering the black smooth hair. It's STEPHEN. He and Vincent shake hands enthusiastically.)

 

 

 

STEPHEN (smiling elegantly): Oh, Vincent, it's been almost a year, isn't it? The house is very interesting, I thought I should say that. How many paintings can you hang in the walls? I've counted 15 so far. Renoir and Lautrec! Curious combination for such a restricted and stable gentleman. I'm staying for a couple of weeks, Manchester was boring to the bone! I swear for the soul of our truly beloved mother that I would drop dead if spent the Summer there. You are not smiling, so you're surprisingly happy, I suppose?

 

 

 

VINCENT (slightly shocked): You are so natural, Steph. That honestly worries me, you see. Ladies are supposed to sound as fakely natural as you do. Silly man. What have you done the last year? Spent all your part of the money naturally? You can't survive being so spontaneous! Not in England, my brother!

 

 

 

STEPHEN: I told your butler that he should have announced me as Lady Mingeth, that would have been a better reception. I know you well, my dear! Women make us accept things that are unbearable and absolutely not tolerable. But if you really want to know, Vince, I've been in the company of this loving creature which lived with me for 6 months long in that flat I've had rent. She was my muse. Lauren, that's her name. Lauren wasn't much interesting to the eye of diplomats like you, but she was incredibly inspiring, I have to admit. You know I paint. Hence my commentary about gaps in your walls. They used to call me the British Lautrec, and that again I swear for the soul of our beloved mother, God bless her.

© 2011 Karina Longo


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Is this play called "Me" or is it about you? or a part of you?

I am taking it that they are brothers and they received their money through inheritance, where one wasted it and the other is still living like a king. It seems that one brother is the status quo of society while the other brother who is an artist is kind of the outcast of the family or the black sheep. You have to write more I wonder what is the plot of the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A bit of interesting I would say please continue I have read Mr. Wilde and found him entertaining and this I beleive is in the same vein a light expose on the mores of Victoeian Englind.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Both Stephen and Vincent are characters inspired by John and Algie from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. I love Jane Austen too, though. Never thought about the similarity with Darcy and Wickham. It really makes sense! So glad you like it.
I never thought I could write plays/short stories. But yes, I plan to try to give this a continuation. ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This reminded me of Pride and Prejudice a bit. Just a tad bit. Though Wickham and Darcy aren't brothers, Wickham has blown his inheritance and shows faces, basically, when he is in need of more money. Darcy see's right through him.

That's what your piece reminded me of. It was brilliantly written, though. I love how your cadences are throughout it. AMAZING. I hope you will write more?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No, it's called Me. It has very little about myself to be honest!

Yes, that's a VERY incomplete piece of writing. It was my first attempt ever to write something in the shape of a play. I love writing dialogues and that's something which sometimes you can't do that often in poetry so I was just testing my abitity of trying to write a story/dialogues.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Is this play called "Me" or is it about you? or a part of you?

I am taking it that they are brothers and they received their money through inheritance, where one wasted it and the other is still living like a king. It seems that one brother is the status quo of society while the other brother who is an artist is kind of the outcast of the family or the black sheep. You have to write more I wonder what is the plot of the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2011
Last Updated on February 24, 2011

Author

Karina Longo
Karina Longo

Further Away, Somewhere



About
More about me: Music I like: Manic Street Preachers. Depeche Mode. Chris Cornell. Soundgarden. Smashing Pumpkins. Suede. Pulp. Oasis. The Clash. Tears for Fears. Stereophonics. John Lennon. Da.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..