Zerrol, Part One

Zerrol, Part One

A Chapter by The Wolf
"

The first part of my fantasy novel(?)

"

You can trap yourself, y’know? Put yourself in a place where you can’t quite reach the exit. Caught in a labyrinth of your own thoughts and feelings. Lost in a hell of your own making, filled with the demons who know more about you than you do. You made them after all. You’re all they can know.


As he broke free from the light of the streets into the shadows of the old woods, Peren knew his escape was inevitable. The soldiers pursuing him would have to get off their horses to chase him in here and even then, they couldn’t hope to catch up to him. I think I wanna play with my food a little. With that thought he began to climb a tree, feigning a lack of coordination in the process. The seven men chasing him showed up in but a few minutes, and by that point he was only about halfway up the tree, and appeared to be struggling. Mere moments later, an eighth figure came from the city. He held a longsword in his hand and was donning heavy plate armour. His golden hair and ocean blue eyes were a sure sign that he was a high-born knight.

Peren held tightly onto the tree, momentarily paralyzed. He was not chasing me thirty seconds ago… s**t. His shock was soon replaced with his signature cocky attitude, realizing he had both the high ground and a bunch of tricks up his sleeve.

“A high-born knight,” he called mockingly. “After little old me? Why I’m honoured m’lord. I would bow, but unfortunately I seem to have my hands full at present. Would you be content with kiss being blown?”

“Quiet Shade. We all know how this ends. With you returning the Arc Blade and getting locked up for a very, very long time.” He spoke like polished granite given a voice. It made Peren feel slightly strange… but he continued on with his playful banter.

“The Arc Blade? Oh, thats what this is? Damn. My mistake. I meant to grab the Kings Crown. Here, my apologies.” He leaned backwards and dangled upside down holding the handle towards the soldiers and keeping himself steady by wrapping his leg around a branch. One of the soldiers foolishly tried to reach for it, and Peren yanked it out of their reach.

“Sorry about that, arm twitches every now and then. Grab at it again.” In yet another lapse of judgement the same soldier lept for it and once again it was pulled out of their range. He laughed and pulled himself back upwards using his legs, then continued his climb.

The knight raised his blade and swung it into the trunk of the tree Shade was climbing. Instead of a loud chunk being heard, no sound at all was heard as the blade passed effortlessly though the entirety of the tree. It began to fall forwards, but Peren had always been light on his feet. He hopped deftly from the falling tree to an even higher point on a nearby one.

“That was a waste of time,” He scoffed. “What's the name? I’ll be sure to write a note to the king letting him know that at least you tried.” He looked back to see the knight pointing his sword towards him.

“I am James of the Silver Hand and by my oath, I will walk you through the doors of Lightwreath castle and watch you put that sword back in its rightful place.” The steely cool glare that he shot towards him and the glimmer of his sword in the mottled forest light made this promise all the more eerie to Peren.

Peren sat and stared at James for a moment. The Silver Hand… Goddamn I’m making all the wrong enemies today.

“Fare thee well Metal Hand. I wish you the best on your future endeavours, for this one has already become an overwhelming failure.” With that statement Shade disappeared before their very eyes.

~~~



© 2018 The Wolf


Author's Note

The Wolf
This is the first part of my first novel(?) Please let me know if anything is a little rough around the edges.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how the introduction has started. Putting the reader in the same shoes with the story. Its really beautiful

Posted 5 Years Ago


Enjoyed Peren interaction with Knight James. I will keep on reading this adventure.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Nicely done, interesting read. That makes you smile, think and ponder. On the adventure that is coming.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 6, 2018
Last Updated on June 10, 2018
Tags: fantasy, high fantasy, world building, multiple POV, first chapter, first, dragons, undead, swords


Author

The Wolf
The Wolf

Canada



About
Canadian born writer. Always had a penchant for it, and as much as it has been a hobby for most of my life, I'm trying to see if I can explore a little further with it. more..

Writing
Folly Chapter 1 Folly Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Wolf


Folly Folly

A Book by The Wolf


Night, Knight Night, Knight

A Story by The Wolf