Zerrol, Part Four

Zerrol, Part Four

A Chapter by The Wolf

“Peren, what in Drans name is that?” Justin was always paranoid whenever Peren walked in. Peren always relished in Justin's discomfort when he approached. Justin was Perens best friend in a manner of speaking. Often times Justin was the voice of reason in Peren’s otherwise hectic - and crime filled- life. Even though Justin was himself a fence, he considered himself to be simply a merchant of a much larger variety of goods than most people could sell.

“I’m pretty sure it’s the Arc Blade. Not quite sure though. Could be a fake.” Peren tossed it in the chair without care and plopped down into another seat. Justin's jaw hung open behind him, however Peren cared not for Justin and his disapproval.

“You realized this is the biggest crime of the century. Right?”

“Yes.”

“You realized you’re going to be hunted by bounty hunter short of the Shimmering Coast once the word is out. Right?”

“Yup.”

“You realized there’s no way in the world I’m going to sell that thing. Right?”

“Didn’t want you to sell it. Say, do we still have some of that goat cheese in the pantry? Goes great with with some bread, mutton and a little tomato.”

“Now’s not the time to be thinking with your stomach Peren! Gods be damned! What the hell do you intend to do with that?” Justin was walking around the small cottage and shouting now.

Peren looked over at the sheathed weapon. “I dunno. Give it away?”

Justin let out a frustrated scream. “Give it away!? To who? Not everyone lives with the same reckless abandon you do Peren! Giving that to a living human being is a death sentence!”
“Well then, why not a Dwarf? Or an Elf? Or maybe I’ll track down some dragon. They like to hoard shiny things, right?”

“You’re missing the point Peren, this is dangerous to say the least. You have to leave town.”

This had already occurred to Peren. He had packed two weeks ago in preparation of the job. Justin hadn’t noticed. The only reason Peren was so secretive about this, is because he knew Justin would get upset if he found out he wanted to go on an adventure by himself. Seeing his opportunity, Peren stood up.

“You’re right Justin. I will leave on the morrow. Clearly I have committed a crime far too prestigious for the world to handle, and I will have to hide this weapon in a place and live in the shadows for the rest of my life.”

Justin thought this rather suspicious. It was rare that Peren did as he asked, let alone go one step further. “Ok, what do you really plan to do?”

“Exactly as I said,” Peren was trying his hardest to keep a straight face. “There comes a time in every man's life where he has to come to terms with his mistakes.”

“Hmm…” Justin once more considered having the cottage to himself. “Fine, I’ll buy it. You’d better still visit, wherever it is you’re going.”

“Yes yes, of course.” Peren began to stroke his beard. “Oh and do remember to feed the cat.”

Justin raised an eyebrow. “What cat?”

“The one I’ve been keeping here for three years of course. I think I’ve taught him to come… Mittens, come here boy-er girl uh, kitty.”


~~~



© 2018 The Wolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on June 22, 2018
Last Updated on June 22, 2018
Tags: fantasy, high fantasy, world building, multiple POV, first chapter, first, dragons, undead, swords, legends, epic fantasy, prophecies, realism, realistic


Author

The Wolf
The Wolf

Canada



About
Canadian born writer. Always had a penchant for it, and as much as it has been a hobby for most of my life, I'm trying to see if I can explore a little further with it. more..

Writing
Folly Chapter 1 Folly Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Wolf


Folly Folly

A Book by The Wolf


Night, Knight Night, Knight

A Story by The Wolf