Zerrol, Part Three; Quinns Introduction

Zerrol, Part Three; Quinns Introduction

A Chapter by The Wolf
"

Our plucky young wizard is introduced.

"

This is absurd. Quinn was pacing in his rather large dormitory. I have to create a new spell, by myself in less than a month? His familiar Retin - a pseudodragon - sat upon his perch and watched his summoner with intrigue. Do all apprentices face this monolithic task in order to be recognized as fully fledged magi? Or do the gods have particular disdain for my existence?

I’m sure you’re not the only one. Retin said in his mind. However, when you are fully fledged, this will be a useful experience to reference.

That doesn’t make this any less monolithic. Quinn grumbled. His books were all meticulously set upon his desk. The pens and inkwells were all sorted. His boots, cleaned and by the door and everything else was in tip top shape. I wish I had something to do to avoid worrying about this.

Retin made a chortle upon his perch and smoke billowed from his nose. You could work on it. Typically removing the object of your stress, makes you less stressed. His tail flicked in amusement and his blue scales shone in the candlelight. Quinn grunted, however, inevitably agreed with his familiar.

Sitting down at his desk he looked at his five books on the types of magic. Blue… I’m not focused enough to work with that. White? Hm… too pansy for my taste, besides every healing spell is the same. Black and all the hype behind death magic just doesn’t suit me. Green is a maybe, but I’ve never really been comfortable playing around with the physical world. And I can’t build up enough emotional thoughts to be whipping up a red spell.

I mean… there's always grey magic. A mischievous grin spread upon Retin’s face as he said this. Really, all you’d have to do is multiply your aura twentyfold and boom. You’re good to go. Quinn shot a quick glare at his friend.

Knob off you mangy lizard. I’ve actually got to think on this one.

A puff of smoke left Retins’ nose and he lied back down. Quinn reached for another book. It was titled “The Combining of More than Two Colored Magics by Magic Magus.” Magic Magus was notorious in the wizarding community for spreading misinformation, however, Quinn didn’t see any better options laying around.

“As many wizards in the community know, mixing magic is a bit tricky and a lot a bit dangerous.” Quinn knew it was perfectly safe as long as only two magics were mixed. “However, doing so creates wonderful effects. Mixing blue and green allows you to completely take over a person. White and black makes necromancy and red with black makes for some of the most potent attack spells.” Quinn chuckled as he knew this was so far the most factual article Magic Magus had published. “But think of the possibilities if one were to mix more than two kinds of magic. As this is incredibly dangerous Magic Magus does not promote said actions, the rest of this article is pure speculat-” Quinn put the book down. Now deep in thought.

Retin noticed this change in situation and his interest was piqued.

What’s going through that mind of yours Quinn?

“I know that mixing more than two types of magic is dangerous…”

I deeply advise against this.

“Well, you know, risks are a prerequisite to progress.”

That’s not a risk, it's suicide.

“Surely the results can’t be that terrible. I mean, the First Wizards had to take risks while exploring early magic. We can figure something out.”

Retin knew now that he had argued with Quinn, there was no turning him back. Quinn knew that Retin knew that, and so on and so forth. As such Quinn went to bed early because making ground required one to have had a full night's sleep.


~~~



© 2018 The Wolf


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on June 15, 2018
Last Updated on June 15, 2018
Tags: fantasy, high fantasy, world building, multiple POV, first chapter, first, dragons, undead, swords, legends, epic fantasy, prophecies, realism, realistic


Author

The Wolf
The Wolf

Canada



About
Canadian born writer. Always had a penchant for it, and as much as it has been a hobby for most of my life, I'm trying to see if I can explore a little further with it. more..

Writing
Folly Chapter 1 Folly Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Wolf


Folly Folly

A Book by The Wolf


Night, Knight Night, Knight

A Story by The Wolf