Guardians of My Heart

Guardians of My Heart

A Poem by Marianne Rose
"

When I cannot face the day, it is not in my own power that I rise, walk through the day, and finally make it home.

"
A miracle emerging from my heart,
Despite the wear of age that presses down,
Speaks gently to prepare for a fresh start
As energy divine springs, heart to crown.

Behind me stands a circle of my kin,
Enlightened beings devoted to my care;
Before me, life-long partner and soul-twin,
His passion poured into the life we share.

I cannot walk this rocky path alone
Nor face the suffering that lies ahead.
Surrounded by their grace when hope has flown,
My angels shine to lift the veil of dread.

In weariness, I pray to summon all,
Knowing their arms will lift me when I fall.



Throughout the day I hear their whispers sweet
That carry me through floods of others' tears;
This legacy assures there is no feat
Impossible, despite collective fears.

For from one long-passed relative I find
Determination and a rock of faith;
Another brings a visionary mind
That lifts the sword to slay each evil wraith.

Grandmother's laughter rings in my own voice,
Compassion's gift from my grandfather's hand.
Wise ancestors to guide each moral choice;
My mate makes soft the places where I land.

Now dusk has come to ferry me to shore
Where I shall rest, my heart to grieve no more.


© 2016 Marianne Rose


Author's Note

Marianne Rose
The first half written at the start of this day, July 12, 2016, the second half after I return home. More play with form at the invitation of my new friend and teacher, Richard.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Simply amazing!! I could see a beautiful painting in this poem. The colors being Love, Hope, Faith, Courage, Determination and Service. I don't know if I could see it from your perspective. But the picture I could see is quite enlightening. Great Job my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you! It is encouraging to bring forth a piece that calls those attributes to mind, only someth.. read more


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

This is a lovely poem that expresses your trials and the faith and hopes; you get from loved ones both alive and gone. Each one becomes a part of us, and we do hear their voices in us and through us.

Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you HL- right now it seems I can't stop writing of the intensity and the protection I feel fro.. read more
Beautiful poetry dear Marianne.
"Grandmother's laughter rings in my own voice,
Compassion's gift from my grandfather's hand.
Wise ancestors to guide each moral choice;
My mate makes soft the places where I land. "
The above lines. Gentle and true. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote, for your understanding of the power of the ancestors in our lives, for your gentle.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Always my pleasure and you are welcome.
Simply amazing!! I could see a beautiful painting in this poem. The colors being Love, Hope, Faith, Courage, Determination and Service. I don't know if I could see it from your perspective. But the picture I could see is quite enlightening. Great Job my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you! It is encouraging to bring forth a piece that calls those attributes to mind, only someth.. read more
It's so beautiful, it's a compact work that contains vision, assurance, peace and inspiration... Since the day I have dedicated myself to the Lord and started trusting him with all my heart, since then I have been feeling those invisible powers guidance in every single moment of the day... When I have a bad day or a tough day, I usually get depressed but from somewhere an inspiring atmosphere drags me towards itself, calming my mind and assuring me that God has sent my dear ones who passed away to take care of me, I'm never alone and they will take care of me...

I really like the structure of the poem, they are very difficult to control and present... But you have placed them in a great way here... I'm absolutely loving it...

Isn't it beautiful when you write things like this that touches the reader's heart with such simplicity? I'm fully blessed to be able to witness this work... You reminded me of my grandmother, and how she used to inspire us through her glorious faith and assuring words... You truly got some unbelievable ways to touch lives dear frnd...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

You speak beautifully of the way God draws you forward out of depression into something inspiring. I.. read more
There's such a serene feeling to this poem, complemented well by the iambic pentameter. I truly believe that the loved ones we have lost, as well as our ancestors, watch over us on a daily basis and do help us when life gets the hardest. The last two lines create a nice end to a nice poem.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you, especially for the comment on the last two lines, which came less easily than the other p.. read more
Absolutely beautiful. This person knows she has been loved and cared for in life and she can rest in peace knowing this. Very touching.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Yes, though life has had many challenges, even with these very people when they were on the earth, t.. read more
Gosh, Marianne!
This Sonnet Doublet is an exemplary effort, M'Lady.
In flowing iambic rhythm, you've taken us with you from your distant ancestry, to grandmother, through your soul-mate, onto a plane where you've persevered and found a soft place to land … how enthralling to the senses.
Your counts are spot-on, Fine Poetess, with but a few iambic and punctuation issues we can address in messaging (if you've a mind to), but I am duly impressed by what you've presented here for our enjoyment, with this virtual masterpiece … thank you for sharing You, and for the lovely honorable mention! ⁓ Richard : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you my dear friend and mentor. As I said to another reviewer- didn't register that it was iamb.. read more
Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

The punctuation is an easy fix, the iambs (perhaps), not so easy in a review.
I'll address th.. read more
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Let's see if you agree with the lines I am not satisfied with:
"Speaks gently to prepare for .. read more
Very touching work, I love it, I love that you can feel that these presences are helping you through this world. "Before me, life-long partner and soul-twin, His passion poured into the life we share." You absolutely slayed me with that line of course, such perfect choice of words, not that they all aren't, but that made me "sad grin". I hope one day soon I feel such power lifting me up. I also love that you are a student of poetry, that you are learning new styles, maybe one day I'll actually sit down and learn as well, but right now it's just me expressing myself in whatever way I can! Beautiful as always Marianne, a pleasure to read your work.


Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

And always a pleasure to read your reviews, and see what resonates with you. Yes, without my partner.. read more
Iambic pentameter has never been my strong suit, so I greatly admire the skill put into this poem. It has a relatable message and is written quite elegantly...I loved it. This piece really showed how our ancestors can carry us through our days; they are always there...even when they're not. Put simply, we all need someone's who's there for us...we can't be alone all the time, and I felt like that message was very well conveyed in this poem.

I loved the line "Grandmother's laughter rings in my own voice" because it shows how characteristics are passed on through generations and how it's the simple things about people that we remember...like a laugh; it's something we may take for granted, but at the same time, it's something special and memorable.

The only thing I can critique is a typo; in S4L1, the 'i' isn't capitalized. Also, for the sake of the visual presentation, you may want to use Georgia size 12 font in italics. It really makes a poem look elegant.

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much William, your comments about the form and the content are so appreciated! I haven'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2016
Last Updated on July 13, 2016
Tags: Angels, miracle, path, light, weariness, depression, fear, rest, ancestors, love

Author

Marianne Rose
Marianne Rose

Santa Rosa, CA



About
Recently retired from a Community College as an Employment Advisor and Program Developer - such inspiring, hopeful work. New dreams of futures born out of loss and confusion stimulate the writer in me.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..