Mountain Repast

Mountain Repast

A Poem by Dave

Mountain Repast
The mountain is draped in a fresh blanket of snow shining brightly.
Above the brilliant blue of a late winter sky, with a gentle breeze
moving ever so slightly the stately trees, their branches covered.
Covered with hard frozen ice giving the illusion of thousands of
blades reaching into the early morning sky, glittering in the sunlight.
Burst of sun pierce the branches appearing as exploding fireworks.
No sound, only the beauty of the colors they portray,  God's painting.
On lower slopes a herd of elk forage for food, contrasting the snow,
nuzzling, kicking at the banks of white mounds, searching, searching.
Finally they find their reward, tufts of green, they discover and share.
Below a stream, not completely frozen, flows swiftly over the rocks.
A steady cloud of what appears to be steam arises from the water.
The water rushes on endlessly, fed by the fresh, but melting snow.
Soon the ice will be gone from the trees, the snow will be melted.
Spring will be soon upon the mountain and new vistas will be seen.

© 2019 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful use of description. Nature show-us. Natural change. Hard Winter may hold on, kind and warm Spring will heal the earth. Thank you Dave for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


this so much reminds me of my favorite place in the world...Vermont...and specifically Mad River.
thank you for the memory...it is so visual.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dave

5 Years Ago

Interesting - on the way home from church today I commented to my wife about not having been to Verm.. read more
Certainly a scene set and described that deserves to be savoured Dave. Lovely description in a wonderful pen portrait of nature and the seasons.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Some of the most stunning nature writing I've read in a long time! I was picturing every detail as I wandered thru your imaginary forest (even tho snow is not in my forest imagery repertoire . . . it was a nice contrast to the way I usually envision a forest!) Since I have not been online much lately, my read request folder was full & I just wanted you to know I looked at all the pieces in it & clicked on yours first (((HUGS)))

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dave

5 Years Ago

I'm so glad you selected me. I usually do the same with regard to your writing as well. Better yet.. read more
A beautiful world you created. I enjoyed the this piece.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Beautiful imagery you have created here Dave. You took me there and I saw it all. It reminded me of a trip I had to Switzerland one year in spring when the glaciers were melting. The mountains and meadows took on a new life.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Such a glorious image held with this delightful poem Dave. That captures nature, beauty and the wonders on earth. We are so blessed to enjoy and have. If we open our hearts and minds to really see them. As does your poem details.

Posted 5 Years Ago


keep it all close............

Posted 5 Years Ago


How beautifully you've painted the images here, Dave. I loved your every description. God's painting, indeed!

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2019
Last Updated on April 16, 2019

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Strange Visitor Strange Visitor

A Story by Dave


Cabin on the Lake Cabin on the Lake

A Story by Dave



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Carl Carl

A Story by Lyn Anderson