THE REUNION

THE REUNION

A Story by Dave
"

I intend for this to be the beginning of a book I expect to finish. If you read it please let me know what you think of it - Thank you - Dave

"
                                                       THE REUNION
     Sue walked slowly down the path to the rustic cabin.  It was more weather beaten than she remembered, but then it's been quite a few years since she had been here.  Taking a cursory look inside she decided that with a bit of hard work it could be made to look almost as good as new.  She laughed at the idea since she hadn't really thought about coming back here to live.  Even when she lived nearby, they had only used their uncles' place as a summer refuge from the heat of the summer.  He died several years ago and no one had really taken care of the place.
     Making her way down to the dilapidated dock, with its' loose and missing boards she sat on its' edge, took her deck shoes off and dangled her feet in the cool refreshing water of the lake.  She began to recall all the wonderful times she and her friends had had here.  It all seemed so long ago, but now she was back for her high school reunion and she wanted to remember.  The longer she sat the more the memories of the past came flooding back to her.
     Singing, chirping birds filled the air with their pleasant noise.  Reflecting on all the times she and her girlfriends would chase and catch the beautiful butterflies brought a bright smile to her freckled face.  Many were the times they would go into the forest to find the honeysuckle plants so they could enjoy their nectar.  There were also the wonderful nights when they would come down, lie on their blankets and try to count all the lightning bugs flitting about.  Later they'd catch a few of them in a jar and take them home to light up the bedroom, later let them go into the summer night.
     Most of Sues' friends considered her pretty.  She was the only girl in her class that had red hair and she wore it in a pixie hair style, like her favorite actress, Audrey Hepburn.  Of course Hepburn didn't have red hair, but neither did she have piercing blue eyes.  Rather than being jealous of her, her friends admired her for her wit and independence.
     She never really had a boyfriend.  It could have been because she thought of herself as a "tomboy".  It was a good thing for her that she was very athletic and she got along well with the boys, they allowed her to play in most of their games she was so good they had her pitch when they played baseball.
     The boy who was closest to Sue and who many of the guys thought may have been her boyfriend was Paul.  Like Sue he was very good in sports and like Sue he played a mean game of chess.  They both enjoyed listening to classical music which they enjoyed together while he accompanied her to the cabin where the two of them played chess.
     During a break one afternoon, while sitting on the dock they noticed what seemed to be a new family of ducklings coming down to the lake for the first time.  They were so cute and noisy.  Their mother was scooting around trying to keep them altogether.  Try as she may, one of them drifted away and floated just under the dock that Paul and Sue were sitting on.  While the mother was looking about frantically, Paul and Sue watched, fascinated.  
     Without saying a word, Paul reached down and scooped the little feathery fellow up.  He was so cute and fuzzy looking.
     "I want to keep him for a pet" said Paul.
     "You can't do that" Sue screamed, "it would die!" 
Meanwhile the mother duck came close to the dock squawking up a storm of protest, flapping its wings and quacking loudly.
     "Paul." she pleaded,"you've got to give it back, please?"
     Paul looked at her and for the first time he saw tears rolling down her freckled face.  Leaning over the edge of the dock he gently placed the duckling back in the water.  Its mother came over to it and the two of them quickly paddled away.
     Paul,turning to Sue could see she was still crying.  Taking her in his arms he gave her, her first kiss.
     "Paul Harkness, if you ever tell anyone about this, I'll beat you to a pulp, and you know I could do it."
     "You mean the kiss?"
     Taking him by surprise, she grasped his two arms and kissed him.
      "No, I mean about my crying."

© 2019 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It thought it was interesting of how Paul thought that Sue told him not to tell anyone that she kissed him when in reality, she was telling him not to tell anyone she cried.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Dave

4 Years Ago

Thank you - I was trying to really establish the fact that she was or at least thought of herself a.. read more
A very well written piece. You set the scene so well!

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is a well-told beginning to your story and I like how you use many vivid details to paint the scene & give some background while introducing your characters. In a couple spots, in close succession, you say baby duck(s) is/are "so cute" -- you could pump up such descriptions. A good place to use a metaphor . . . ducks as fluffy as dandelions (a dumb example, but you catch my meaning). I do not find it believable that this girl was on a big crying jag over a misplaced duckling. I could see a tear escaping down her cheek, but I think it's too sappy & unrealistic to imagine her crying even after the duck & duckling are reunited. Maybe I'm too jaded for this level of romantic writing! But your storytelling is well done overall! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Dave

4 Years Ago

Margie - perhaps you're right. I was, I believe, trying to contrast this "tom boy" with the soft ca.. read more
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I got an idea about your story. It won't hurt my feelings if you ignore it, but I'll share it. If th.. read more
Thanks for sharing this. I sent you some notes that may or may not be useful

Posted 4 Years Ago


This one really catches my interest. Just the kind of story I love to read. Young love...ahhhhh--is there anything in life more wonderful?
"Sue watched fascinated"--I'm pretty sure this needs a comma after watched. An error here--"Sue screamed, "it's die."

Posted 4 Years Ago


Dave

4 Years Ago

Samuel - thanks, again, I believe I've made the necessary corrections.

Take care - D.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2019
Last Updated on August 9, 2019

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Strange Visitor Strange Visitor

A Story by Dave


Cabin on the Lake Cabin on the Lake

A Story by Dave


Swept Away Swept Away

A Poem by Dave



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Maurice Maurice

A Story by Wild Rose