1815

1815

A Poem by Matthews Reggie
"

The Battle of Waterloo Recreated...

"
 They regicide, we campaign: blood, flesh and terror
 camouflage your eyes, afield from the world of error
 napoleon, ney: saints of death! are they near?
 give me truce, death, or mere freedom to fear!
 
 Unity undone, amity abstract, most glee apart 
 those days of comity, will it ever again start?
 mock the genre of rats, a comrade to horrors
 man is the prey and human beasts predators.

 Came the French army, for more power, more enmity
 do I have the fate, to fight, to exist, or am I to infinity
 my heart bled for her, hex the clamoring recruitment
 forced to leave my love, coerced to join the regiment.

 Every me in the Prussians, prayed, every big and small
 petitioned god, a communal dream, the napoleon fall
 Our women awaited blood, every news from war
 We'll fight, for them, for life, but never for honor or star.

                                                                     THE END

Historical Note: 
The Battle of Waterloo takes place near the Waterloo, Belgium on June 18, 1815. In this battle, the forces of the French Empire under the leadership of Michael Ney and Napoleon Bonaparte were defeated by the Seventh Coalition and a Prussian Army, which was commanded by Gebhard Von Blucher. The Battle of Waterloo puts an end to the tyrant rule of Napoleon as the emperor of France. (From Google)

© 2010 Matthews Reggie


Author's Note

Matthews Reggie
Emotional side of a conscripted man....

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is the kind of writing I deeply enjoy and am always searching to find. It's not a mere poem of entertainment purposes or only to express, it is about real issues, real world battles of various kinds (dictatorship being one of them) and that is what I absolutely love.

Now, moving onto the writing itself. The way you wote each line with kind of two different subjects- almost seeming to be 2 seperate lines in themselves separated by one form of punctuation or another- was a great was to make the poem more impactful. The words feels like hard, quick punches as you read due to these quick stops. You had great imagery and emotion; I couldn't help but feel blood rush to my cheeks with anger...and then you mention "she" which suddenly turns the poem personal and my mood changed to grief and compassion. For me, thats a good indication of a well written peice of literature.

I would be intested in reading more writing if you choose to add more to the site.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing!! I like writes that people take time with I can tell that this did. Very prolific and well written. Perfect flow and rhyme scheme.

Posted 13 Years Ago


you draw the reader right into the human historical center ~ quite engaging and attention grabbing~

Posted 13 Years Ago


These are my fav :

petitioned god, a communal dream, the napoleon fall
Our women awaited blood, every news from war
We'll fight, for them, for life, but never for honor or star.

It is nice that you gave a bckground of the war, otherwise would've been tough to feel it :).

Posted 13 Years Ago


im diggin it, dat waz pretty hot how u tied history into a poem. nice

Posted 13 Years Ago


you've described the blood of battle well here, you've got a knack for putting your reader right in the middle of your writes

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is great. Very touching actually :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh lovely just fantastic I love it these words are of a true poet. Nicely done! And I love how you put some historical moments into it now that's something I like reading about! Nice job history should always be remember and what you did was honor it. All I can do is say that this poem is worth a standing ovation!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very powerful poem! I like the fact that you're actually engaging with history - to a lot of people history is like a massive, unchangeable mural that has little impact on their lives (or so they think!)

My favourite line is "give me truce, death, or mere freedom to fear". I'm sure something like this goes through the mind of every soldier in that kind of situation. The line exemplifies what poetry is about - distilling big and complex ideas or sentiments into a concise expression. Nice work.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice. I like it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Don't shoot me for what I'm about to say and read everything,
I'm not critisizing you (rather myself)

I have to admit that when I read it the first time,
I had no idea what it was about.
I didn't know if it were some random thoughts and sentences all mixed together,
or something deeper.
When I reread it AFTER reading the explanation that it was about Napoleon,
I did understand more or less what you were saying
so it became more interesting.
The reason I probably didn't realize what it was about ,was because I don't know enough about this to make the connection.

Now the positive stuff:
I think it's written in a great style,
I like it when sentences are 'broken' like someone stated.
It gives you time to slow down and notice the thoughts behind it.

Greetings

Sarah

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1942 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 10, 2010
Last Updated on September 27, 2010
Tags: Historical, War, Drama

Author

Matthews Reggie
Matthews Reggie

Ernakulam, Kerala, India



About
Hmm....... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Abandon Abandon

A Poem by William