The Inner Evil

The Inner Evil

A Story by Matthews Reggie
"

The revolt of the inner me...

"
The jerk and jolt of the halting train, distracted me from my vacuum dream. The curtains of my eyes opened into the stygian darkness of my compartment. I looked around, envying my coupe-mates who were sleeping like logs.
I scanned the platform for a sip of coffee, but my eyes paused at the sleeping figure of a poor, homeless girl. Her clothes were aggressively ragged and dirty, but still much tidier than the platform s**t she slept on. I kept gazing at her face. She was shivering, maybe of the northern winter, or maybe of fright. I found my metals of sympathy being severely magnetized by her woe.
Moments later, I noticed a hefty policeman walking towards the same platform, his drunken legs aimed at the lone, helpless slum-girl. With no regret for his action, with no shame for his sacred uniform, he wasted no time in trying to strip the girl of her clothes. She got up with a shiver of fright and cried. The unwelcome music of her hapless cry pierced my ears and seemed to kill me.
The policeman made a second attempt, this time with more brute force to quench his macabre recreation. Blood heated my cheeks, I nearly drowned in a pool of fury.
I should somehow save this girl. I should get out of the train, run to the platform and save the girl.
Or should I? Should I welcome trouble? Why should I worry about this slum-girl? Who is she to me? Not my sister, not my mother, not my love. She is no one. She is Nothing.

But she is too young. Too young to be raped. Too young to die. Get out of the train and kill that thug.
No. I foresee wastage of money, wastage of time and even danger to life. The hefty policeman is too much for me. It is better for the girl to die alone than to kill me too.

It is her fate. The fate decided by God. Only he can save her.
Yes, only God can save her. But what if I am that God-appointed person? What if he wants me to save the girl?

No no. I am not God. I have no right to save her. Now see, the train has started moving. I have no time, no chance to save the girl. Forget her.
Maybe, I should jump out of the train and save the girl. I think I have a last chance.

No no. I shouldn't jump from a moving train. Forget her. This is her fate. I have no time to save her.
But But..     

The train moved far away from the screams of the tortured girl. I closed my eyes for a sleepless night. I closed my door against humanity...

 
     

© 2010 Matthews Reggie


Author's Note

Matthews Reggie
The world is full of sympathy. I have given it, got it. But, empathy is something I am still searching for..... even within me. A story about human selfishness and one-dimensional style of living. About the fight between the good and bad in every man. The dominating thoughts of evil are penned in Bold letters. The dominated human thoughts penned in italics....

Edited by Shawn Reene, Bard Constantine

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh my God...I could hear the girl screaming and crying for help in my ears. That was a powerful write that symbolized a universal and eternal struggle. Satan vs. God. Good vs. Evil. White vs. Black, courage vs. cowardice, and humanity vs. inhumanity. I enjoyed every part of it. Thank you so much fo sharing this. Keep writing.

-Wella.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, this is indeed a woeful tale. Great work of bottling such emotion in such little writing. I like how you can certainly feel the man's inner battle with his conscience. Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Fabulous write~! Happens everyday. Your writing moved me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh my God...I could hear the girl screaming and crying for help in my ears. That was a powerful write that symbolized a universal and eternal struggle. Satan vs. God. Good vs. Evil. White vs. Black, courage vs. cowardice, and humanity vs. inhumanity. I enjoyed every part of it. Thank you so much fo sharing this. Keep writing.

-Wella.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read this story yesterday...n oboy ..it sure did linger in my mind for a long time n churned a lot of thoughts in me..It's true we r evil n we have to fight the evil within us but at times it does dominate.the contrasting thoughts are captured very well n run in a flow.the ending made me gasp.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great and sad story :(
I often find myself wondering if being compassionate is a curse or a blessing but every time i do I always remember this awesome quote by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
"At the beginning and end of our life we are completely dependent on the kindness of others, how then can we in the middle of our years exist without being kind to others?".
I think there is always a reason for something regardless of what it is :)
Have a nice weekend

Posted 13 Years Ago


i like this

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good... I myself you have jumpped out of the train without thinking... but that's because I do not think who a person is, just that they are a person and that is enough... Though I have to admit I'm 86 pounds xD I'd get my a*s kicked. I'd bring a friend =)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Superb work of fiction.Truly experimental.Showing the darkest way of decision making in humans.Splendid climax, very diff from the normal stories.Wonderful work. A fine read. And the fight between good and evil well-penned.Good work.
Keep writing...


Posted 13 Years Ago


Another amazing work, it was a totally different style of writing. a new kind of approach. i loved it. fine work done... well home-worked.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hey great job,liked it

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2421 Views
49 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 15, 2010
Last Updated on October 2, 2010
Tags: Psycho, Experimental

Author

Matthews Reggie
Matthews Reggie

Ernakulam, Kerala, India



About
Hmm....... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


1815 1815

A Poem by Matthews Reggie