~part one

~part one

A Chapter by winter;lyra
"

WriterCafe needs improvements on text formatting....

"

     She will die, she had been in denial until she passed out but now after waking up - now barely feeling anything in her left arm - she's sure, so sure she is that fear is not present in her mind. As Gabriel stares at her laying body she thinks "I need to take him somewhere safe as fast as possible." and she also considers, after staring back at Gabriel's blue eyes, how naive the child is, he doesn't understand, he doesn't know, how could he, until recently Gabriel had never seen the outer world thanks to his parents' over-protective ideals.

"We need to hurry." She said as she got up.

          Gabriel noticed how her wound started bleeding again due to the weight she put on it as she got up. He was ready to point it out but she turned to him and said "I'm fine, don't worry." He replied with his usual smile and nod.


     She cursed their parents, she cursed them and their "stupid" self-righteous ignorance that got them both in this situation - "Damn it he's just eight years old..." - She tried not to cry, that would distract Gabriel and slow him down. She would also not cry once they got to the shelter, she would not even cry on her last seconds, that if she's not able to leave and go die somewhere else where she could not scare her little brother for life. At this point she questioned how different is she from "them" if she hides something like this from him.


     What is a child these days? Should children be allowed to live in a world like this? "God what the f**k I need to hurry!" Gabriel was born into this, and she has asked herself various times - Why?  - why did her parents think it'd be a good idea? They were already bad parents and it seemed like they were aware of it so why? Redemption? But what exactly is a child these days? When there is no such thing as children's environment, what do we make of these weaker human beings? They no longer have time grow up.

     Now that she thinks about it, she didn't have much time to grow up either. At eleven years old, only three years older than Gabriel, she was forced to kill a person. After seeing both death and human malice from the same equal perspective she lost all will to be a child, if not all will to be human. However on her case she had no option, he shouldn’t have to go through this, not him - but again she's drifting on that direction she despises.



     After they got to the woods she had to rest, her four days wound is only on her upper arm but now it feels like her whole body is set on fire. Certainly it is infected, so much that she won't even dare to take a look at it. She had the fun opportunity to treat his father's wounds and she threw up as soon as she saw the swollen flesh that emitted a creepy palette of dark colors, ranging from blue to yellow. Alright, enough of resting.

     "Let's go." Gabriel stopped playing with the bugs and rushed to her, no, he did not rush, she was really taking some time to lift herself up - weakness - a grim reminder of her coming end. Now despair strikes. With her wounded arm on the tree and the other fixed on the ground she manages to lift herself up, ignoring the pain completely. Surprised with her own strength she compliments herself "Brave girl."

     Thankfully, they did not walk much longer. The old lake house, although dirty and in ruins, seemed like paradise to her after all she had gone through, and for that she smiled for the first time in four days. Gabriel rushed down the trail, walking by the bushes that her mother always told her not to, and then the boy got his shoes wet as he crossed the river by water just like she used to.

      "Ellie! How many times do I have to tell you?! Go around!!!" The voice echoed on her mind. Right now she actually missed her mother.

       From down the clearing Gabriel shouted "Look!" He pointed at the house "It's the house in the pictures!"

      "It is." Tears of joy and anger and pain and of a mixed cocktail of emotions made way through her face, but Gabriel was not close enough to see. The boy's smile shook her. Afterwards, as soon as Gabriel turned away, she wiped her face and went down aswell and as doing it she thought it could have been a mistake to not check the house first.

      "Ah f**k! Gabriel!"

Too late, he had already entered. She tried to run, her body had lost the functionality to do so.

    She dragged herself to the door with her now dead arm waving about and just when she got there Gabriel came out with a bar of chocolate in his left hand.


© 2017 winter;lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting read. A mixed cocktail of emotions is probably my favorite description in the chapter. Never thought of describing emotions as such. It's clever.

Look forward to reading more clever descriptions.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 11, 2017
Last Updated on May 11, 2017