~part two[end]

~part two[end]

A Chapter by winter;lyra
"

WritersCafe still needs improvements on text formatting....

"

     “What is that Gabriel…” Her eyes were fixed on the candy in a way that one less aware would call envying thirst but actually she was going through the mental recalculation of this determined place as a safe haven, now with the newly introduced variable: the chocolate bar.

    “Look, it’s chocolate!” The boy seemed radiant with the finding, which the sister well understood: due to the harsh circumstances in which they’ve lived in since he was born, Gabriel never had the chance to eat chocolate.
    Pity. The word disgustingly popped on her mind, she hated the word but that is undoubtedly what she felt. Something so small, yet such a powerful symbol of childhood that she has to deny to his little brother, who has already gone through enough disappointments.

    “Put it back where you found it.” Her face along her voice became cold, she had to be so, otherwise she would collapse, which would certainly mean death at that point, which she was not ready to welcome..

    “Aw…” Gabriel did look bummed however he also looked like he understood the situation, he gave a last look at the candy wrapped in blue and quickly sniffed it. All this he did in two seconds, next he walked back into the house, followed by the sister whose presence remained firm cold. He carefully placed the bar where he found it, paying every attention to how he placed it on the plastic table by the corner. Once satisfied with the result he turned back and walked out passing by the sister.

    She tried to understand what it all meant. After all these years she could still not fully understand him. “Is this what this world has done to me?” She asked herself. When she walked out she found Gabriel playing in the water. He seemed entertained looking at frogs in the riverbank - which - she again remembered - she also used to do..

   




     Nighttime.

     Together they lay down behind a rock in the woods.

      What a disaster. The lake house is occupied and she is about the kick it for good… She can’t even get her mind stable enough to think of a plan. She can only lament and hope Gabriel will, by some astronomical luck, survive. “Wait… Gabriel?!” She panicked as she frantically looked around for him.

       Gabriel was startled. “Sis?”

       He’s fine, for now. She can’t think straight, for a few seconds she forgot he was there with her. “My sanity will kick it first eh…” She thought and grinned at herself.

         “Sis?”

       His voice repeated on her head sounding like a late blooming echo. This, she found somewhat funny.

         “Ellie.”

        This time she turned to him, by instinct, not because she comprehended the call. There was something on the boy’s eyes. To her they felt like they were emitting light, golden light.

         “You’re going to die aren’t you sis?”

         How sweet, how innocent, and how strong this boy is... Her mind immediately picked itself together as the tears violently broke loose. How cruel, how unfair, how sad this world has become. “I don’t wanna die. I don’t want to die please I don’t wanna die.” She said through the tear and the snot that covered her face, although unheard, for she could not articulate well under such emotional chaos. With her healthy arm she covered her face as the silent cry intensified. The boy remained silent and watched for the first minute.

“It’s okay.” He looked up at the stars, which became perhaps, one of the rare uncorrupted beauties of this world “I understand.”

She turned to him, grinding her teeth together, eyes red and face distorted, desperately trying to avoid letting out a scream. Even in a time like this she’s cautious. She was about to say something but immediately gave up. If she dared to open her mouth, she would scream.

“I know I am just kid but... I’ve seen enough around me to understand that there is no place for me.”

She wanted to tell him something, she wanted to hug him, she wanted to hold him tight and make him believe everything was going to be alright even if just for a little while, yet she couldn’t because if she did, she knew, her screams of revolt would escape and their position would be eventually given out, to possibly the person inhabiting the lake house which was still close by.

“I’ve seen honest people trying to believe in a honest world, I’ve seen bad people trying to prey on these honest people, I’ve seen people who abstract themselves from this savage place and follow their own lone paths, and I’ve seen people like you, people who are just trying...trying for others. And while at this, I’ve been thinking about what person I should be, because I know that if I want to survive I’ll have to grow up before I’m forced to. I could be like  mom and dad, I could be like the ones back at the camp, I could be like you used to be, and I could also be like you are right now, living for me. I’ve seen enough to understand there are enough solid reasonable justifications on why people chose these paths. No one is wrong you know… It’s just...at the end of the line everyone is just trying to do what they think is the best for what they hold dear. I just...” He started tearing up as well “I just want you to know, I’ve made my choice, and I’m ready… So…” He paused and looked directly into her overflowing eyes transmitting through his fluorescent eyes a hidden message that she immediately understood.

“I will always love you Ellie. Thank you for everything.”

She understood what he was doing, he was trying to make it less painful for her, she understood how he had been holding in the pain, even now he was doing it. She understood this is what it means to be a child in a broken down world, a careful observer and a potential hero.


         Time passed, she eventually fell asleep. As she woke she no longer felt her body if not the extremities. It was sunrise, a beautiful sunrise. Gabriel was laid down, with his head rested on her chest and she could feel he was wide awake. It was indeed a beautiful sunrise.
           Her eyes lost sight as the world gained a new light.


© 2017 winter;lyra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was great, truly enjoyed it. Mesmerizing and so much emotion to it. Great JOb!

Posted 6 Years Ago


And I wasn't disappointed. I teared up, not gonna lie. That was honestly beautifully written, and I thank you for the moving piece.

I'd rate it over 100 but cannot, unfortunately.

Posted 6 Years Ago


winter;lyra

6 Years Ago

I did not expect a review so early woah

And I'm glad I made you feel something, that .. read more
SSKaitlyn

6 Years Ago

Haha you did great. I was exploring stories and yours came up. I'm glad it did, too. Because I enjoy.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2017
Last Updated on June 4, 2017



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dream Dream

A Poem by James