the Beginning of a beautiful friendship

the Beginning of a beautiful friendship

A Chapter by Nick

The next day was gloomy, but at least the rain had stopped. Jack had been up all night thinking about his current situation. The face of the innocent bartender carved into his constant memory. What was Jack to do? He could quit but it’s not like he’s qualified for anything else. This is what he’s been good at since he was twenty. Jack got up from his bed and put on a pair of black dress pants. He was shirtless his tattoo visible on his back; his tattoo was simply the Roman numeral XIV Just like his tie. He lives in a small apartment a few blocks from Cosa Nostra the restaurant that acts as a front for the commission. It’s where they have there meetings. Jack walked to the kitchen and opened the cabinets he pulled out a box of empire flakes cereal and poured himself a bowl. He added milk and began crunching the cereal in his mouth. His apartment was fairly large but small for someone who made as much as he did. It had one bathroom a kitchen and a living room he had a color television with all 3 channels and his bed acted as his couch. It was a nice affordable apartment, nothing special as the rest of his money was in the bank. The commission paid him a monthly fee so he wouldn’t take other jobs. In return Jack was to accept every job bestowed upon him by the commission. The commission consisted of four mob bosses three now that Salieri was dead. These bosses were Bruno Lecardo, Leo Monterigoni, and Samuel Ennio. Ennio was the hot shot a younger guy who built himself up in the 1940s making money off the war. Monterigoni was a man of honor; he respects the old ways of the mafia. He moved to New York City from Sicily when Mussolini came into power. Leo had been like a father to Jack when he was little living on the streets; after his parents were caught in the cross fire in a gang war between micks and Germans or germs as jack called them. Lecardo was a shifty fella unlike the other mob bosses who had grown porky from steak and fine wine. Lecardo had stayed skinny almost like there was nothing to him but skin and bone. He had made his money running lone sharks all over the city.

            Just then the phone rang its incessant ringing irritated jack but he picked up none the less.

            “Hello?” Jack asked there was a long silence. Then some one answered the other line.

            “Jack vwe needs you to comes in young vwone.” Lecardo said

Lecardo’s voice was creepy like the old man across the street from you that would ask you to go play in his pool, yet it was high pitched. Jack hung up threw on a black dress shirt and fedora and exited his apartment. This was the best part of Jacks job walking to the commission he could take in the air, watch the average people in life, maybe purchase an espresso or two from the multiple café houses near by. The day had begun to shine again the sun was out and the clouds where turning a snow white like usual. When Jack reached Cosa Nostra he noticed something different. There were men with guns standing near multiple bulletproof cars. Something was wrong. Jack cautiously walked inside. The inside of Cosa Nostra was the same people, whether they were mobsters or not, were enjoying meals; Jack entered the room behind the bar. He suddenly realized why so many cars had guards out front. Every mob boss of every race had met in the back room and were all sitting at the table, waiting for him.

“What’s goin on here Leo” jack asked with a puzzled look. He looked at all the different chinks and micks sitting around the room.

“We need to discuss a few things take a seat.” Leo’s said his eyes piercing like a hawk.

Jack sat down in a wooden chair and put his foot up on the table and his arms behind his head

“Ok what’s up old man you have my full attention” Jack aid smiling smugly.

“While you got rid of Salieri the commission decided it was time to expand.”

Leo said sternly.

“So you’re including micks and chinks now to?” Jack said angered at the commission’s decision.

“Would you rather us fight and you do more work?” Leo said chuckling

“Yeah actually I would you know how much I hate micks. No offense.” Jack said looking at the Irish mob boss.

“None taken” the Irishman said.

“The point-- is that now there are more people with problems not to mention many who wish to destroy this union of ours.” 

“No” Jack said hesitantly.

“Your gonna need--” Leo was cut off

“Don’t say it! I swear to god” jack threatened now leaning forward

“You get a partner.” Leo said smugly

“Damn you.”

“Come on in Tony” A large man walked in. he was muscular and tall must have been around six foot five looked like he worked out a lot but at the same time had somewhat of a beer belly. He wore a black duster jacket and jeans with a black fedora and black collared shirt. He had a scar over his left eye yet he could still see.

“Jack this is Tony……what did you say your last name was?”

“I didn’t.” Tony said seriously

Leo looked at him funny “anyway he’ll be your partner from now on so suck it up and deal with it.

“You gotta be joking me he’s not even that tough looking” Jack said. Tony didn’t move he simply sat down next to Jack and turned to look at him.

“How bout I stab you then both our problems go away; you don’t get a partner and I don’t have to listen to you whine.”

“How bout you try.” Jack said staring at Tony

Tony flicked out his knife. He waved it in a mocking manner

“Enough!” Leo said standing now standing up. Tony and Jack got up from there chairs.

“Now your both gonna listen and take care of our problem” Leo said “An Irish mob boss has been moving in on our turf and killing our guys. His name is Jimmy the Fat he works outta that old Irish bar the double rainbow. Here’s what he looks like. Leo handed them a photo. As sweepers it’s your job to get rid of the mess” Leo stared at the two “Do you understand me?”

“Yes Boss” Jack and Tony said simultaneously.

Jack and Tony exited the restaurant the walked outside and Tony entered his car it was a black 1964 Pontiac GTO its color made the surrounding area look brighter because of how dark it was. Its rims where the newest sports car racing tires black with a shiny white rim. Tony entered the driver’s seat and Jack entered the passenger side. Tony looked at jack.

“What….the f**k….are you doing inn my car?” Tony asked blatantly

Jack looked at him puzzled he looked out the windshield then back at Tony “aren’t we going to get this fat f**k?”

“Not in my car your not” Tony replied

“Come on I thought we were a team!” Jack yelled getting outta the car

“You and I both know you don’t believe that. Have fun getting to the double rainbow.” Tony waved as he started the car and began driving away.

Jack waved, his smug smile worn proudly on his face.



© 2010 Nick


Author's Note

Nick
it got pretty long so the rest of what would have been this chapter will begin chapter 3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ok, so there are a lot of punctuation and spelling errors to be fixed....otherwise, not bad.

Posted 13 Years Ago


also when the one character says vwe thats not a typo thats how he talks

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
3 Reviews
Added on October 19, 2010
Last Updated on December 5, 2010


Author

Nick
Nick

Cleveland, OH



Writing
The Game The Game

A Book by Nick


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Nick